Aliens with one name vs. aliens with two names

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by t_smitts, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I didn't say always. Just mostly.

Nope, not always. ;)

Anyway, I'm not actually arguing that Leeta should be her family name. I was only pointing out that it was not unusual for people to do that to Bajorans. Heck, did Ro ever called Laren? If she did, it wasn't often.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Spock's a human name.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Spock's a human surname, but I think Joe was talking more in terms of given names.

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're correct, although Dukat's initials were revealed in A Time to Stand as SG. He refers to himself in his log as "Dukat, SG" which would be consistent with his first name of Skrain given in the novels.

However, someone. Ira Behr or Ron Moore or someone said that the original intent was that SG was meant to be an abbreviation of his title, "Station Gul."

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Why would Dukat use English abbreviations on his log?

6. Christopher

Why would he record the log in English? We're presumably hearing a translation of what he's "actually" saying in Cardassian, so the initials would've been translated for our benefit as well.

7. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Who said anything about Dukat writing his station logs in English?

Points to Christopher for typing faster than me.

8. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

According to TMOST, G.R. chose the name Spock because it sounded strong, and at at the time he had never even heard of the famed pediatrician, author and antiwar activist Dr. Benjamin Spock. (Which is rather hard to believe, considering that in the 1950s and '60s, just about every American household with children had a copy of Spock's Baby and Child Care.)

9. Mr. Laser Beam

I would have preferred it if Dukat's first name really was Elmo. :lol:

10. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

There's a photo taken during the original series run, of Nimoy holding a newspaper headlined Spock arrested, reporting one the doctor/activist's participations in a demonstration.

11. Elder Knight

Elder Knight Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Gorn.

Is that one name or two? Or any name at all? Does the article count? ;)

12. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Some cultures do. You're referencing a patrilineal latinized heritage, which is what many Western people use for naming of children. But its not written anywhere that we have to follow those rules.

However, I have a friend who is of Indian descent (Tamil Nadu, to be exact) and his first name is a given name and his last name is his dad's first name. Since he lives in the United States now, he's told me that if he ever has kids he'll probably utilize the American custom of giving your surname to your kids, which would end that tradition (i.e., his kid's would have the same last name as him, as opposed to having his first name).

I had a professor in college who combined his last name with that of his wife when they were married, creating a brand new unrelated name. Their children also have that as their surname.

I have a friend who goes by her middle name (didn't like her first name, I guess). When she was married she legally changed her first name to her former middle name, her new middle name is her former surname, and her new surname is her husband's.

My mother is of Hispanic heritage, and when she married my father she legally dropped all of her extra last names. Interestingly, she had a lot of them, because her grandparents combined two family names to make one combined surname (so her dad had three family names), so my mom's birth surname was actually three different words, her paternal grandfather's dual name and her maternal grandfather's singular name. To make matters even more complicated, her first name is "Maria", which is an exceptionally common Hispanic name, so to avoid confusion among friends she went by her first and middle name. In total, she had 5 names, potentially adding a sixth when she married my dad.

13. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I always thought another possibility might be SUPREME Gul, since he still used the title of Gul after becoming de facto leader of Cardassia (and presumably outranking any legates).

Just like the Tholians, there's only been one named individual from this race in canon. That's not really enough to make a decision one way or the other.

14. Christopher

^He was kidding, hence the ;).

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

This thread reminded me of another oddity in regards to alien names, Denobulans. Presumably they have two names, since when Dr. Phlox's wife Feezal was on Enterprise she identified herself as "Feezal Phlox." However, not once during Enterprise's run (or even in any of the novels) have we learned Dr. Phlox's first name.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  16. Christopher

Not necessarily. There are many possible origins for a second name in Earth cultures alone; a second name can't automatically be assumed to be a family name the way it is in Western cultures. There could be an alien custom wherein a wife appends her husband's given (and only) name after her own given name in order to indicate their relationship. After all, that would be the only name she could take.

Of course, Feezal had two other husbands, so I doubt very much that "Feezal Phlox" was her legal name. She probably just introduced herself that way to Phlox's human colleagues as a convenience.

17. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

Funny, I heard that from Jane Wyatt (at a con in New York City, in 1986). :)

That's what Garfield and Judith Reeves-Stevens did, actually. (I forget which of them originally had which name, though. I used to know, and I'm sure the information is online somewhere, but it's not important enough to this thread for me to go looking it up at quarter to 2 in the morning on a weeknight. ;) )

18. Christopher

Maybe it was Jane Wyatt. I knew it was some woman closely associated with the Spock character.

19. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Though Jane Wyatt's comment was probably a joke, it's conceivably possible that Spock has two full names, to satisfy both Vulcan and Human traditions and keep both families happy... though he and his parents just settle for Spock in most circumstances. It's rare, but not totally unknown for this to happen for people of mixed heritage (ISTR reading of a few cases where people have had trouble travelling due to having dual nationality, with different names in the two passports, even though both are legally correct in the relevant parent's home country).

20. Mr. Laser Beam

I'm sure there are many, many alien races who simply only have one name. And I think in a few TOS novels, there were *humans* who went by that custom. Weren't there?