Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

To reassure people they care who these characters are. It's ok in my book to change the source material, it's not ok to be embarrassed or indifferent to it.

2. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

How would an explanation of Johnny and Sue's relationship show that the producers care about the charaters?

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I try to keep an open mind on these things. However, while I've liked all 3 of the actors I know (i.e. all except Teller, who I've never seen in anything), I don't have any great enthusiasm about the idea of them playing 3/4 of the Fantastic Four. I've no problem with the idea of a black Johnny Storm but this whole group, to me, does not at first blush strike me as representative of the FF dynamic. They could well prove me wrong of course.

The director's habit of denying rumours, which then turn out to be true, while not strictly relevant to the film, has become a little tiresome. It also makes me think that there must be at least some truth to the rumoured story line which AICN and others posted and which led to a flurry of lawyers' letters. And which didn't sound terribly good.

So this could be okay, it's far too early to write it off. But I just can't get very enthusiastic.

4. Alidar Jarok

If they said that they're not brother and sister, it shows a failure to recognize the importance of the family dynamic.

5. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

*Rimshot*

"The Yancy Street Chess Club"...hmmm....

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Considering that Ben's always been treated as part of the family even though he's not related to any of the other three, I'm not sure that necessarily follows.

But as I already said, in this day and age of adoptions and increasingly common mixed marriages, there's no reason why two siblings can't be of different ethnicities.

I have seen one or two things before which featured siblings of different races, and the fact that one was adopted was generally addressed quite briefly and simply.

7. Alidar Jarok

The fact that the Storm siblings are siblings has been an important part of their characterization. If they're half-siblings adopted whatever I don't care. I'm just saying I don't have a lot of faith in this movie so far and that'll help restore some of it.

8. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I've officially given up on this movie. It looks like only the Marvel made movies can cast good people anymore (well, except about half of the GotG cast, but I'm hoping the good ones carry the bad onesin that case). This is DC movie level of horrible casting. Hopefully this will bomb so badly that it become too unprofitable a franchise to keep around, leading to Marvel eventually getting it back. I wonder if they'll cap this movie off by kicking Stan Lee in the groin and peeing on Jack Kirby's corpse in a pre-release event, which is probably the only way to disrespect the FF more. It will be interesting to see who ends up with the worse cast, Batman/Superman or this. I'm leaning toward BM/SM, but FF has the advantage of really inappropriate casting that probably signals a complete disregard for the source material. If nothing else, FF will at least fail in a way that isn't just the standard horrible writing like Rise of the Silver Surfer did.

9. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Out of curiosity, which upcoming movies have you not already given up on?

10. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, when it comes to superhero movies (that are based off stuff I'm interested in) and are coming out (or almost certainly coming out in one case) in the next few years:

Guardians of the Galaxy
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    X-Men Days of Future Past
    Ant-Man movie (if it ever gets made)
    Avengers 2

So, if its a Marvel movie or X-Men movie , then its a superhero movie I'm excited for, even if the casting of GotG and Ant-Man aren't looking to be anywhere near as good as the main Marvel movies casting. If its DC or a Marvel franchise not being done by Marvel/Disney, then I'm already pre disposed toward hating it. FF, Amazing Spider-Man, and the Goyer/Snyder Dc film(s) are all things I have completely given up on. I'll still see the Goyer movies and FF when I can see them for free on DVD from the library, but that's because I have an unfortunately strong case of morbid curiosity when it comes to franchises that I enjoy, even if they've been ruined.

When it comes to other specific franchises I enjoy, like in the sci fi and Fantasy genres, most of them either aren't franchises that would have theatrical movies (like Doctor Who) or are basically done, probably forever(Babylon 5, Firefly, Stargate). I am excited for the third Hobbit movie, I guess.

Still, I have completely given up on Star Trek and Star Wars when it comes to live action. From a movie (and almost certainly TV) perspective, they're completely dead. They just have a moron dragging their corpses through the mud for awhile, and I have definitely given up on them ever coming back to life, at least as long as they're being ruined by the current morons working on them.

11. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

The first two weren't grim or gritty, but were happy-too happy for most moviegoers and long-time fans, it seems. I loved the previous two movies (in particular how Reed's financial situation was handled, and how it was Doom that has to be the one that provided the money and the ship to go into space, and Sue being a scientist [taken from Ultimate Fantastic Four, I'll bet]). I hope that the new movie's as good as the first one from 2005.

12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Actually, the FF movie in 2005 was pure crap.

13. Shaka Zulu

^According to you, yes. Obviously the millions like myself who saw it and filled the coffers of 20th Century Fox, making it one of the big box office hits of 2005 think otherwise.

14. Shaka Zulu

Rest assured, Disney and Paramount won't lose any sleep over how much you hate J.J. Abrams based on your emotarian purity poutrage about Star Trek continuity/canon being 'violated' and your similar poutrage about Star Wars.

15. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Why? Do they have to show their family in a cereal ad?

Mixed families represent a large percentage of the American population. No need to explain anything, other than establish them as brother and sister. When the President of the United States is of mixed parentage, one would think that this would no longer need explaining.

I can't seem to find it right now, but Rolling Stone has a list of 15( or 20 or 25) stars of mixed parentage. Some of them are quite well known to me to have a white and a black parent such as Maya Rudolph, Lennie Kravitz, and Drake but there were many others that I did not know.

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Also according to 27% at Rotten Tomatoes.

17. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I don't think sites like RT have any true relevance, especially if/when what they indicate is belied by box-office performance.

18. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

That's critics. Audience, although still not impressive is almost 50% (46%).

It wasn't fantastic, but, i mostly enjoyed it

19. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

I remember the German comedian and fan of movies and TV Oliver Kalkofe once said, the FF movie is one of the worse comic book movies, but of those it's one of the better ones.

20. Alidar Jarok

That's literally all I want - a statement of "don't worry guys, they're still brother and sister." I think you misunderstood where my fear is coming from. My fear is that they decided to get rid of the brother/sister dynamic because they didn't want to depict a multiracial family (we already know that they didn't want to hire two black actors in prominent roles so I don't think my fear is unjustified). A statement clarifying that they aren't changing this element would be very reassuring given all the rumors floating around about drastic changes.