I'd Pay to See Kathryn Bigelow Direct Wonder Woman - Would You?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lapis Exilis, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

According to Yahoo News, the next film in the series is rumored to be double the budget of the first one. That puts it in the ballpark of a $150-160 million movie.

2. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    Right, but by this point Hunger Games is a proven property. They can afford to up the budget accordingly, I could understand giving Black Widow a lower budget out of cold feet that audiences wouldn't like a woman action hero (I understand less it not getting made when apparently everything that's remotely superheroic is getting filmed.)

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

^^
    Especially since The Avengers was such a mega-hit. You would think Marvel would be exploring all potential avenues to sequelize that movie, including spinning off Black Widow into her own movie, especially since Iron Man 3 was such a big hit.

4. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

I'm sure they are exploring all avenues. But Marvel Studios only makes so many movies per year (I don't think their current announced plans have them exceeding two at any given point).

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The one thing that bugs me about people always pointing to Catwoman, and Elektra as reasons not to do female lead superhero movies is the fact that they apparently just were not good movies. I haven't seen them to judge first hand, but I don't think I've ever heard a good thing about either of them. I think that the Hunger Games proves that if you have good sci-fi action movie with a female lead, people will go see it. I really think there is enough awareness now that if somebody made a good Wonder Woman or Black Widow movie, people would go see it.
    EDIT: I just remembered more proof that people will go see a female lead action movie, if it's good. The Alien and (first two) Terminator movies. I really think if a movie is good enough and the marketing is good, then people will go see a movie with pretty much anyone in the lead.

6. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

As CaptainCanada noted, Marvel Studios can only really do one or two movies per year, especially now that they've got the SHIELD series also. Black Widow will be in Cap 2, and I imagine Whedon will want her back in Avengers 2. In other words, her dance card is full for a while.

7. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that's a fair point.

8. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

9. Jiangnan Freak

Jiangnan Freak Lieutenant

I would much rather see a more fresh female superhero getting her own movie. The whole manhating angle which is part of her mithology could also hurt a movie.

10. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral