female audience reaction to Seven of Nine

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by jefferiestubes8, Sep 15, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thrall's wife's voice is kind of like this too, though husky. That must be why I hate her so much.

2. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am male, first-off,so this is a bit off-topic. Watched voy first-run and liked it. My 14 year old daughter watched 1-6 on netflix over the summer, so for fun bonding I bought season 7 on disc. It is by no means the 7 of 9 Show I had been led to expect from comments on this bbs. Tom and B,Elanna are featured with the baby. Ms Dawson really has done some nice acting in some eps, btw. My three cents. Be well.

3. teacake

Read the previous pages? :lol:

Did your 14 year old daughter like it? And yes the show does develop a lot of the characters and B'Elanna and Tom get more and more story as time goes on.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I never found Kes's demeanor or behavior to be the least bit childish. She always projected a maturity and wisdom beyond either the character's or the actress's years. I can't imagine how anything about her personality could be characterized as childish. Now, Tom -- he was childish. Harry could be childlike in his naivete. Neelix could be childish in his petulance and insecurity. But Kes? Never.

I think she was an intriguing character, but I agree, the writers didn't know how to make good use of her. Here was this gifted young woman who only had a few years to live, who should've been hungry for every experience she could cram into her brief span, and yet they just had her hang around in sickbay for three years.

5. teacake

Is it bad that I'm now picturing all the male Kes lovers in this thread as having Neelix like qualities?

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Let's see. Neelix was a man who'd been through hell yet managed to hold onto his optimism, who cared deeply for the people around him and always tried to make their lives better, and who was fallible yet never stopped striving to improve. There are worse people one could be compared to.

7. teacake

:: pats christopher gently ::

Yes, yes.. a genial survivor.

8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

*Disclaimer* Gay Male, commenting on 7of9 despite previous instructions not (Though a couple straight men have already weighed in, so...)

Yes, the outfit was meant to show off her T&A, obviously. But, why do we believe her T&A was anymore highlighted then Troi, T'Pol (and though not quite as bad, still pretty damned suggestive) Kira? Yea, obviously the heels were too much (desperate Bean Counters have shoved this into many Series)

T'pol and Kira were both served well as characters in their writing, as was 7of9. IMHO Troi was the worst T&A offense, because the writers didn't develop her as well as the 3 others, and even with a Captain (Jellico) who didn't want to see her goods, she still pushed the cat suit on him. At least with 7, they attempted to excuse it "In-Universe" with the Medical and Storage explanations, though Kira and T'pol were both treated pretty well developmentally with the writing, there was no attempt at giving them a reason for being dressed like that. Why is it only Seven (And sometimes T'Pol) who is burdened with this accusation of T&A Outfit.

I did enjoy Kes, and think she really got screwed in her final season, and so much more could've been done with her, but, I don't bias myself against Seven because of it. Though I don't see her return as the Sacrilege many other fans see (I think it was natural to see her Alzheimer's Disease without a companion to keep her from going off the deep end)

Seven was a very well developed character and had a nice redemption arc. I don't believe any other female Regular character in all of Trek was developed any better in the writing/Arc (Again, yes T'Pol and Kira were treated just as well)

Yea, Chakotay/7 was wrong, but, that was such a small part of what the character gave us.

9. teacake

Because 7's breasts are the biggest. This is why people don't complain about Kira's skin tight suit at all.

Some women's breasts are big. Why are they penalized for wearing close fitting clothes when small breasted women can wear the same clothes and receive no comment?

10. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I seem to remember several people having to duck for fear of being slapped by Deanna's breasts.

They did nothing with Deana's character to raise her above Catsuit, and she had not only the breasts, but, the other curves, too, and...unlike the other 3 didn't really get any great writing, but, was shown bending over and flexing often, while the other three weren't subjected to that

And truly, Doctor Crusher, how were her breasts and curves any less accentuated at least half of her screen time? I remember a much more form fitting/"Look at me" top on her, then say Dax.

11. teacake

This is before they had perfected the "mound" technology. Future Deanna won't have to worry about this, though she may find sleeping on her stomach impossible.

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

No one penalized Seven for wearing a catsuit.

We all know who was responsile for it, the people that ran the show.

13. teacake

The only reason you never heard B'Elanna mutter "Borg Barbie" under her breath is because Barbies did not survive the third world war. Sure they have big breasted dolls in the future but without alliteration it just sounds like sour grapes.

14. Delsaber

Delsaber Commodore Commodore

I figure that no matter what the female audience reaction was to Seven, it must've been more positive than the reaction to T'Pol a few years later.

15. teacake

There was a time when half my posts on this board seemed to be defending 7 or T'Pol, and yes one of the complaints was usually the catsuits.

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Why defend the catsuits? They were very sexist.

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

18. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Because they didn't put Scott Bakula in figure hugging lycra. The bastards.

19. teacake

Oh pfft.. you saw him BARE CHESTED.

You never saw 7 bare chested.

Archer is clearly the winner in the revealing sexy stuff stakes.

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral