X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by StarTrek1701, May 31, 2011.

?

How Much Did You Enjoy X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?

Poll closed Oct 28, 2011.
  1. A+ (Great Movie!)

73 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. A (Entertained a lot!)

93 vote(s)
    45.4%
  3. B (Was okay, not bad)

30 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. C (Below expectations)

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. D (Very bad)

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. F (Intolerable, want money back)

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Maybe so, but the exploration of said issue makes it far more than a comic book movie about nothing.

2. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

As I said, it's about civil rights too me.
    Without it, it is a film about nothing.

3. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

You mean it's not about the Cuban Missile Crisis? :lol:

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I agree here. The X-Men to me has always, at its core, been a story about the struggle for mutants to be accepted by society.
    Barely.

5. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"This is what we're going to do; I'm going to count to three, then I'm going to move the coin."

6. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He says something about the count. 'I'm going to count to three and move the coin' mirroring Bacon's opening 'I'm going to count to three and you're going to move the coin.'

I know some people thought it was a silly death, but when you first see Fassbender he's flipping the coin into a picture of Shaw on the wall, and later in his memory you see Shaw doing what seems like trepanning experiments on him. So Having the power to move something so small in such a deadly way was kind of an element carried out through the film for Magneto. At least that was how I took it as another layer. He spends all this time thinking he needs to move something big in his pursuit, and that the small time guns and knives weren't doing the trick. yet it is that little old Nazi coin- the genesis of his mutant development via Shaw- that in the end finishes it. Nice.

Actually, even though things are largely ended with Shaw, I hope if they have a sequel they show Magneto still playing with the same coin. Again showing his deadly vengeance but at the same time hinting that he is still the same traumatized little Erik deep down inside. Really, did the people giving Cs and Ds not see this stuff? I loved the multi layered onion of mutant issues from the main cast.

7. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

No, that means the film isn't about what you want it to be about. It is most definitely not a film about nothing.

:wtf:

"You want society to accept you, but you can't even accept yourself."

That is, partly, what the movie was about! Were you in the bathroom every time Mystique and Beast were onscreen?

8. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

No shit, considering I've said a few times "too me" X-Men is about civil rights, so "too me" it's about nothing.

That isn't what the civil rights movement was about.
    Where in the bathroom when this was taught in school?

9. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

You are a godsend! :techman:
    Thanks

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

+1
    Whatever other complaints have been lobbied, which are small imo, the layering you mention was a take-a-way I had that made the movie for me. Gave it that depth, took out the ole mustache twirling villains cliche.

11. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Fair enough. That just seems myopic and closed minded to me. If a movie isn't about exactly what you want it to be about, that = it's about nothing? To each their own.

My comment was in response to RoJoHen, hence the reason I quoted him.

12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Also, something like the small moving coin is probably the only kind of thing that will penetrate his skin. Shaw simply would've absorbed the impact if Erik had shot the coin like a bullet.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  13. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Magneto could have crushed the hull of the sub really slowly too. Wouldn't have been as fitting though.

14. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

the x-men have all ways been about cival rights. now my question is how many sceenes were is actual 3d? and do you have to stay all the way to the end of the credits like in thor and pirates?

15. Obiwanshinobi

There was no 3D release for it (thank god) And no you don't have to stay through the entire credits.

All the scenes are 3D, but shot in standard 2D.;)

16. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I just got back from seeing the film, and voted 'A+'. The film equals or surpasses both of Singer's X-Men films, and once again proves that Bryan Singer + the X-Men = a perfect fit, regardless of whether or not he's actually physically in the director's chair.

Having said that, I can unequivocally say that, while the film CAN fit in with the rest of the X-Men films, it actually works much better as a reboot, and I really hope Singer and the rest of the X-Men film producing team realizes that and structures any sequel(s) to it accordingly (Rebecca Romjiin and Hugh Jackman's cameos notwithstanding).

I really need to give props to the casting director for the film, because the cast was brilliant from top to bottom; having said that, though, my favorite performances came from James McAvoy as Xavier, Michael Fassbender as Erik, January Jones as Emma Frost, Kevin Bacon as Sebastian Shaw, and Jennifer Lawrence as Raven/Mystique. I especially liked Bacon's performance as Shaw; I'm not that familiar with the character, but think he was the perfect foil for both Xavier and Erik (as well as a great 'mirror' for the latter).

17. Obiwanshinobi

You actually liked January Jones as Emma? I'm starting to think maybe Jennifer Lawrence should have played Emma Frost.

18. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:wtf:

Really? Seriously?

I mean, I know everyone's entitled to their opinion and all that, but how can anyone say objectively that her performance was good, let alone a favourite? It seems to be universally accepted across the internet that the weakest aspect of the entire film was January Jones as Emma Frost.

19. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Jennifer Lawrence would have definitely done something good with Emma.

20. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Aww good God, not again this objective/subjective crap.