Costume Photos from Burton's Superman Project

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by trekkiebaggio, Oct 30, 2010.

1. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

SuperHeroHype posted some pictures of the costume from Superman Lives.

All I can say is what the fuck. :wtf:

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh wow. People should be so fucking thankful that they got Bryan Singer's version.

3. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

People were getting worked up because of the shade of red they used in SR. Imagine the keyboard rage if this was made :lol:

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

AOL would have exploded

6. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

Wow. Horrible.

7. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

[​IMG]

That's hilarious!

8. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

But was this the actual costume or was it what Superman wears after he comes back from the dead. Superman Lives was supposed to have been inspired from Reign of the Supermen, correct?

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, leaving aside the kneejerk "It's not what I'm used to so it's evil" reactions, just looking at it as a costume design in its own right, I think it's an interesting idea -- trying to suggest something alien and futuristic -- but too garish and overdesigned to be successful. It reminds me of Joel Schumacher's neon Batmobile.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Hilarious; Disco Light-Up Superman and Frankenstein Zombie Superman complete with bolts in his neck!

11. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

That does look dreadful, but that's not actually his normal suit. That's one of his Rebirth suits, I believe. His actual suit that he was to begin the movie with was blue and dark red.

Pretty sure this resembles the suit Burton wanted Superman to start the film with, manipulation or not:

[​IMG]

This is also another concept rendering that infamous Superman Lives producer Jon Peters still has:

[​IMG]

This is his Rebirth suit, for his rebirth in The Fortress.

[​IMG]

I believe that concept fell though, and so we got the one that was released today. It was supposed to "show" Superman's "muscles and internal organs in some fashion when he was reborn. It also glowed, which is why you've seen that shot of the S with glowing musculature behind it.

This is the Eradicator suit he was to wear after he had come back to life and needed strength:

[​IMG]

And I believe he was to end the film in the black and silver suit that we're familiar with.

12. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Awful stuff. :lol:

13. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

If nothing else this would have been an interesting project had it gone forward.

14. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

It wouldn't have been dull or cliché -- at least visually, that's for certain. I can't stop chuckling thinking about those images, though. :lol:

15. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Dude, it's Superman. :wtf:

Reminds me of Kevin Smith's tale about the script again. When producer Jon Peters came along saying "I don't want to see him fly, I don't want to see him in that suit, it needs a giant spider in the third act, and Superman needs guards in the Fortress of Solitude."

16. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I love Tim Burton.. he makes great original movies. i.e. movies where he can run wild with his imagination but that doesn't include Superman because his suit is one of the iconic things that is known throughout the world like Coca Cola.

A Burton spin wouldn't have worked but damn.. that movie and the ensuing "discussion" would have been very entertaining.. i love when shitstorms are going on :lol:

17. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No... I think I still would have preferred this. The costumes look terrible, but at least it would have been a spectacular, imaginative failure rather than a middling, uninspired failure. This has "so bad it's good" written all over it.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

18. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I think it would have been interesting to see...and yeah This has "so bad it's good" written all over it. :lol:

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed Singer's movie, so I certainly am glad this one didn't happen. Burton's failures of execution are not really interesting; they are simply grotesque.

The concept rendering in the photo with Peters is not bad, except to the extent that it suggests armor of some kind with is superfluous to the character. I think the costumers could easily ditch the red briefs, belt and boots without upsetting too many people other than absolute purists; most recent proposed redesigns of the character for the comics have done something similar and the streamlined look works pretty well. Minimizing or eliminating the cape, OTOH, would be a really bad idea that would satisfy some minority of folks.

20. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Im not that huge a Superman fan to begin with, but I despise Tim Burton with a passion. He makes one movie over and over again, and I hate that movie.

So yeah, im glad this wasn't made. We'd have had a Danny Elfman score and it would have been atrocious.