"the chase" Reprucussions

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by WesleysDisciple, Mar 22, 2013.

1. WesleysDisciple

WesleysDisciple Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

its never mentioned again... but any idea how the message at the end of the episode affects the academic and scientific community in the federation and elsewhere?

2. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why would there be reprecussions except for the advancement of peace, knowledge and understanding?

We don't really get to see the "reprecussions" of the Theory of Evolution in everyday life... Maybe the odd documentary about some backward hick school teaching "inteligent design", but other than that it doesn't really affect us too much.

I think the same would apply to the Trek universe and to the "Theory of Galactic-Evolution" - perhaps they debate it in science symposiums, perhaps some backward "hick" school on Andor teaches that we all evolved seperatley on seperate planets. Certainly nothing worthy of devoting an hours worth of television to.

3. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Beyond the classroom and archaeological activities, the revelation of the existence of an ancient humanoid race that "seeded" planets billions of years ago wouldn't have any impact on day-to-day life or galactic politics. Besides, we rarely see anything of the non-Starfleet side of the Federation, so why would we expect to see the fall out from the episode "The Chase" in future episodes?

4. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

One might assume the scientific community already believed in the existence of a progenitor culture or cultures, and in massive seeding, and had done so for centuries. It's a natural assumption, after all, given the evidence.

The idea that the progenitors could have left messages embedded in DNA appears to have come as a surprise, though - so one obvious consequence of the episode would be the launching of an effort to find more such messages, possibly by other ancients. The existence of such messages is more or less inevitable, and there would probably be interesting stories to be told there.

Not in the sense of making for interesting, televisable episodes of Star Trek on their own, of course: "The Chase" already covered that ground. They might be the basis of novels - or an excuse to tell completely different stories much like the Iconian backstory from "Contagion" was an excuse to tell "To the Death", or the time travel element from "Tomorrow is Yesterday" was used to set up "Assignment: Earth".

Timo Saloniemi

5. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

less killing one another?

6. Captain McBain

Captain McBain Captain Captain

Yup, the old ad hominem attack. Actually, much evidence contradicts evolution and many scientists in our day are creationists. The reason for this is because evolution is not based on facts, but speculation and unproveable assumptions.

Intelligent design is reasonable and is supported by our everyday experiences; life and blind nature creating itself is unreasonable and not supported by our everyday experiences.

But, of course, emotion trumps the facts when it comes to the question of God's existence.

7. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Does someone out there want to pick that up, or is it too obvious a target ?

8. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You don't know many scientists, do you?

9. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

The message fell on deaf ears. Besides Crusher and Picard, the rest of them kept bickering afterward. It was only the Romulan that messaged Picard afterward acknowledging the general point of the message saying "Perhaps were not completely dissimilar.." .

The Klingon and Cardassians quickly left orbit, probably forgetting what that message was about and returning to their home worlds. Probably the contents of the message was stored away by the Federation and Romulans in some database somewhere.

10. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Evolution will take care of it.

11. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nah.

12. Mojochi

You have facts that answer the question of God's existence? I'd like to examine those

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  13. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Watch out for quicksand, my friend. ;)

14. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Are you trying to appeal to our ignorance?

15. Mojochi

I'm just saying I don't know of anyone who can offer up a fact that answers the question of God's existence, & leave it at that

16. Manticore

Manticore Manticore, A moment ago Account Deleted

Point of order, it was Captain McBain who said that. Correcting the quote. :shifty:

17. Mojochi

Oops, I'm sorry, I hate when that happens

Edit: Fixed

18. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

And I'm just saying that's a logical fallacy and leave it at that.

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Intelligent design is based off of "Well, some guys wrote this book several millennia ago who say they got this information from a magical sky being." Sorry, I'll take educated assumptions based on years, even centuries, of studied evidence over that any day of the week.

Yes, evolution is based on assumptions but these are educated assumptions over studying samples and all of the evidence. Coincidentally evolution itself is completely evolving to match the latest pieces of evidence to reach the most-likely conclusion.

Creationists still say the earth is only 8,000 years old which hardly makes much room for dinosaurs or for the formation of mountains and such based on pretty much proven facts on the existence of the former and the time it takes to form the latter.

20. Mojochi

Yeah, I know, the question may be a bit loaded, but I didn't make the load. The word facts & God in the same thought tend to rub me the wrong way