CW looking to develop a Raven series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Chris3123, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Variety

While the character isn't exactly my top choice of what I'd like CW to adapt next, I'll still definitely watch it if it gets made.

Thoughts? Cast wishlists?

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Is The CW just going to make paranormal, vampire, super natural, super hero shows?

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

At least somebody is!

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

At least the CW would be kind of sticking to their roots by doing so. Both UPN and the WB (especially UPN) tended to offer more genre fare than the usual broadcast networks did.

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's hard for me to imagine as I only know the character through the Teen Titans cartoon.

This would have to be the perfect individual:
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0744986/

6. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds more like an attempt to capture the Twilight fanbase.

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Duh.

It worked with The Vampire Diaries and now they want it to work with this.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  8. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Well I think lots of Dc's magic folk could make an appearance here. Summon the demon Etrigan. Behold the power of the Spectre. Who is the Phantom Stranger? Maybe even get the Shadowpact into things. It would be nice if it ended up in the Smallville Universe. Maybe a Zatanna appearance just to keep things tied together. I'll take any super hero show I can get.

9. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

What?

Why not just do a Green Arrow series instead? They already had Justin Hartley playing the character for several years now on Smallville.

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Green Arrow" seems like the most logical thing for them to develop doesn't it? Then when has the CW done anything logical? The fact that Ollie has already a prominent character on "Smallvlile" second only to Clark himself combined with the fact that Justin has had a couple failed pilot projects over the last couple of years might mean that DC ENT has any interest in pursuing a GA spin-off. Or it could mean they are still developing a big screen adaption of Green Arrow still.

As for "Raven" as I mentioned in the thread I started on this topic I could see this as DC ENT's reaction to "Cloak and Dagger" from Marvel TV which is currently in development. Raven does have an incredibly cool big bad built right into her mythos that they could spend a couple seasons building up to. I do fear though that whoever develops this would be too tempted to make this too Twilight-esque. It also brings the question as to the current status of "Blue Beetle" which seemed like the inevitable spin-off written in stone a few months ago. I'm guessing more and more that won't be developed.

12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

A half-demon teenage goth girl heroine does seem like it would fit right in with VAMPIRE DIARIES and SUPERNATURAL. Plus the DC pedigree might lure in some SMALLVILLE fans looking for a new fix.

Works for me.

13. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

This one has emo goth girl written all over it...

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I think that's the idea! It's actually kind of brilliant.

15. byron lomax

byron lomax Commander Red Shirt

As a character in the Titans show a few years back, Raven was good fun. If her personality was the same for this series (Daria as a superhero, basically) it could be a little more than the usual gothic emo-chick fare.

If they were to have a comedic element in the series, Raven would need a lighter character to bounce off of (like Beast Boy in the cartoon).

16. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Well... That's So Raven.

17. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

instead of being a superhero/supernatural based series it should be a comedy/drama where Raven and Starfire share an apt and get into ridiculous situations. :p

18. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like the "idea" but I just know it will be another crappy Smallville-like show.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't think that follows. Remember, Smallville is a show the CW inherited from its predecessor the WB. It was also created ten years ago in a different entertainment climate. So it doesn't make sense to assume that someone developing a show for the CW in 2011 would make the same creative choices.

Not to mention that adaptations of DC's entertainment properties are now under a much more unified executive control, something that didn't exist when Smallville was created. Which suggests that there's likely to be a lot more attention paid to the character's roots and continuity in the comics, as opposed to the foundational conceit behind Smallville's creation, which was to detach it from its comic-book roots as much as possible.

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

So who isn't watching Lost Girl?

the first episode was too Highlandery and the lead isn't exactly attractive enough, but when she starts yapping with her side kick it's totally like an nc17 version of Mary and Rhoda if the Mary Tyler Moore Show was was prequel to Supernatural?

Ed Asner in the morning before his third coffee?

To be succinct you are all describing a show which is already on the air right now... In Canadia?