DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Well aside from Batman Annual #2 I am all caught up on Batman. I though Death of the Family was good but it wasn't as good as I imagined it was going to be. For some reason I thought Damian Wayne died at the end of this story. Zero year has been really good so far.

2. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I was expecting big things from this story due to all the hype. I even broke my rule and bought my digital copy of the final issue the day it was released. I thought that something would happen to the Bat family or Alfred that would really affect the books. The build up was really good and the Joker really creeped me out throughout, but the pay off just wasn't there.

3. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because it was all a joke.

4. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Yes, I thought the payoff would be Damian's death. Seems like a missed opportunity.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

No one other than Morrison was ever going to kill off Damian. Death of the Family was more about alienating Bruce from his family, which pretty much has happened now. It was more about Joker and Batman and the Joker pulling off a huge joke.

Howard Porter is now the artist on Justice League 3000. It will now come out in November instead of October.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/08...-justice-league-3000-howard-porter-on-from-1/

6. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Not really much information there--has there been a change to the concept? Is Giffen towing the company line or did he actually want Maguire off the book?

7. Admiral_Young

8. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I was kind of excited for a book by the guys who did my favorite JL era, but DC does not need another dark and gritty book. 90% of their books are dark and gritty. My interest in this book just went way down.

9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I also expected something more important to happen at the end of Death of the Family. I thought Alfred was gonna be blinded by acid.

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Giffen is toeing the company line.

It sounds like what DC wanted -- dark, gritty -- wasn't what they were getting from Maguire, which sounds like everyone wasn't on the same page.

If Giffen wants to do a dark and gritty 31st century book, I'm there. My favorite Legion era is Giffen's "Five Years Later" era, which is all kinds of dark and gritty. If that's what DC wanted, Maguire is the wrong artist for that.

11. Admiral_Young

It is interesting that Porter, whom I believed designed all the 3000 characters, is now the artist on the book. I think this was brought up by people when this story first broke. DC should have just put him on the book to start with and this entire mess wouldn't have happened.

For those not liking Jai Lee's art on Batman/Superman...Brett Booth is joining the book with issue 5.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=47207

Geoff Johns confirms the Crime Syndicate!

http://www.newsarama.com/18637-geoff-johns-reveals-trinity-war-forever-evil-shocking-plot-twist.html

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  12. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

But if that's true, why did it take months to figure out?

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bad direction.

McGuire should have been able to give them exactly what they wanted if they explained exactly what they wanted.

The lad used to doodle for PLayboy for frakks sake.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just looked through Maguire's gallery on the DC Comics database and it definitely does not strike me as dark and gritty. It does make one wonder what exactly they were thinking when they hired him. If you want dark and gritty, you hire someone who does dark and gritty art, it's not that hard to figure out.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Giffen, DeMatteis and Maguire had a big hit with Justice League back in the late 1980s. Trying to capture lightning in a bottle again.

16. Guy Gardener

This.

And later I swear Kevin draws those two at a tea party.

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Was that actual Darkseid and were those words supposed to be actual Darkseid dialogue...?

18. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes. And yes.

Darkseid isn't always some cosmic badass. He sometimes sits in a comfy chair, drinks brandy out of a snifter, acts charming, waits to gloat to whomever he's decided to screw over this particular day, and is surprisingly chatty. Like in the Superman/Big Barda sex tape story.

19. Guy Gardener

You haven't read Justice League (International)?

For shame!

but yes, that's the actual dialogue.

The thinking is that the Justice League showed up on Apocalypse by accident and Darkseid is not in the middle of any mad and nefarious scheme to destroy life or enslave the universe, there's really no need to be an asshole or get worked up on his day off.

He's chill.

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Much as I love humor, I prefer Darkseid to be dangerous and serious... :p