The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or (c) they're trying to stave off a "you lied this isn't HD" lawsuit at the head. ;)

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I think it likely they'll release a complete set at the end. Though I might wait for it simply out of cost as I think a full set would be cheaper than 7 individual releases.

So as you say missing footage could be found by the time that rolls around and they can put it back in. Theymight add more bonus features.

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Glad to see they're including the Mission Logs from the original DVDs. Those were really thorough and well done (especially with all the original interviews), and for those like me who only ever bought a couple DVD sets, it'll be cool to be able to finally see the rest.

4. zephramc

zephramc Commodore Commodore

I always felt the same regarding the visuals in TNG. I'd purchased the TNG S1 DVDs and wasn't really impressed. In fact S1 was the only season I bought as I couldn't justify spending a bunch of money on DVDs that didn't really add anything to what I can watch on the various rebroadcasts of the show.

Well, I bought a bluray player and the TNG-HD sampler a couple of weeks ago and was blown away. Just the intro itself was spectacular. The blue and purple "star clouds" in the first couple of seconds look like something the Hubble telescope captured. The comet and the forming solar system. All of the planets are sooooo detailed. You see all the mountains and lava pools on Saturn. It's really cool. Plus the fixes they made to EaF, such as the Enterprise shooting the energy beam out of the phaser array and not the captains yacht.

I'm really looking forward to the S1 (and 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7) bluray releases.

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

A one-second shot in a fairly lame TNG episode I think I can live without it being in TNG.

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I looked at the sample Blu-Ray release today. It features three episodes for a cheap price: "Encounter At Farpoint," "Sins Of The Father" and "The Inner Light." Only one of the three I could have any real interest in ("Sins Of The Father").

So I guess I'll just wait until Season 1 is released.

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

It's like watching a whole new show, well worth the minimal price.

RAMA

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I've been thinking about that. "Encounter At Farpoint" is the one with the most visual impact (in terms of f/x), but it's also a rough ride in terms of writing and story.

9. Trekker4747

Agreed.

With the season set come out in a couple months I don't see any need for you to get the teaser pack.

EaF does benefit a LOT from the upgrade but it's always been week in story and such, the other two episodes make the conversion very nicely.

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I was impressed that EaF still felt like a mini-movie after all these years. No, its not a great story, but it is very watchable.

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Given my most recent revisit of the series these are the 1st season episodes I'd like to see after the remastering.

"The Last Outpost"
    "Where No One Has Gone Before"
    "Haven"
    "The Big Goodbye"
    "Datalore"
    "11001001"
    "When the Bough Breaks"
    "Home Soil"
    "Heart of Glory"
    "The Arsenal of Freedom"
    "Symbiosis"
    "Skin of Evil"
    "Conspiracy"
    "The Neutral Zone"

12. Trekker4747

Yeah, it's watchable but for me only because of what I know of the characters and what the show will become. There's a "charm" to EaF. But it's sort of like watching old home movies of yourself.

13. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

14. Prologic9

Prologic9 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That's the exact same MSRP that TOS sold for, and similarly will likely be available on amazon for $60-70.

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I'd get it for $50. Otherwise, I'll wait for the price to come down or ask for it as a gift.

16. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Amazon and Blu-ray.com has the list on those a little more at $129.99. I guess I was expecting a 50% off savings for TNG, so around $59.99. Might drop to that closer to release.

17. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So basically more expensive then typical network bluray fare (that has no additional cost to put out on Bluray) and generally per episode cheaper to much cheaper then most cable shows on Blu ray (again when no real cost are added to the release for the new shows).

Look at these three when they came out on Amazon.

A season set of BSG $60 (20 episodes, to as low as 13 plus a four hour mini).

Game of THrones $50 (ten episodes).

Walking Dead $25 (6 episodes).

Obviously not a bargin price, but certainly not excessive, especially for the amount of work that has had to go into each and every single scene.

Heck think how much extra time was probably spent just looking, and double, triple, checking for the 2 seconds worth of material for Well Always Have Paris.

18. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

I paid $90 a pop for TNG on DVD. No way in hell am I spending more than $60 at max for the blu-rays. Fool me once, shame on me. Fool my twice... *shakes head*

I really want to get TNG HD, but I'll have to wait for the price to come down a bit. In this economy, charging more than $60 is just ballsy and a bit arrogant, IMHO.

19. Tribble Herder

Tribble Herder Lieutenant Commander

20. Trekker4747

:raises hand:

Ummm. How were you "fooled" into buying TNG's DVDs for $90 a piece? Did younot know what the price was going to be when you picked up the box? Did you not get exactly what you were expecting when you bought the set, that being the season of TNG on DVD?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.