The "Odo's eyes" appreciation thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by _C_, Aug 16, 2013.

1. _C_

_C_ Commander Red Shirt

Odo's eyes are quite lovely and emotive, they need their own post! I can't be the only one who finds them captivating. :)

I even read somewhere that Rene was so good at emoting with his eyes that Odo could just give a look to express what would normally take pages of dialogue. If that isn't talent at using what God gave you, I don't know what is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rhodo likes this.
  2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Miss Bedroom eyes certainly did. ;)

3. jazzstick

jazzstick Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ok here are some questions I have about Odo

1. I always loved his eyes too, very expressive, but they are basically goo, how does he see? For that matter how does he hear?

2.Isn't Odo pretty much walking around nude all the time?

3.What does he eat?

4.How do the shape shifters reproduce?

4. _C_

_C_ Commander Red Shirt

1) He likely shape shifts a decent enough approximation of eyes to see with. Same with ears.

2) LOL Yes, you could say that; his clothes are part of HIM! But to US he is clothed.

3) He doesn't.

4) I dunno, but I made up a way in a fanfic I call "For Freedom's Sake"

5. Roboturner913

Roboturner913 Commander Red Shirt

It is only briefly touched on in "The Search" but part of shapeshifting as it relates to the Founders is not simply assuming the shape of a certain thing, but actually "becoming" that thing.

So Odo sees just as anyone else would, the only difference is he has to make the eyes and ears, and presumably some kind of rudimentary central nervous system to process it all.

Besides that, it's said the Founders were once solids, so it's likely that somewhere in their collective consciousness is the "blueprint" for humanoid form and probably other forms of life. Remember Odo was drawn to "becoming" life forms, during The Search he says he had never contemplated just hanging out as a rock. Considering his mission it was likely encoded into his DNA to make shapes that would be able to interface with the other life he encountered.

6. Kinggodzillak

Kinggodzillak Captain Captain

When the Odyssey is destroyed at the end of The Jem'Hadar Odo raises an arm to shield his eyes from the explosion. That points to the eyes being real and not just for appearances.

Though he should have just morphed himself a nifty pair of shades. :)

7. jazzstick

So does that mean that Odo would have to drop one like everyone else???

8. jazzstick

Yeah! HE totally should have done that!

Man I love Odo!

9. jazzstick

C, I can't help but notice... do you have a "thing" for Odo?

10. jazzstick

You know R.Star, with that picture of Elim as your avatar, I hear everything you write in his voice! Oh and that book is amazing™ btw!

11. _C_

_C_ Commander Red Shirt

^I fully admit that I do, but it's more of a fondness for him than an all out crush. I'd much rather give him a hug and be all maternal towards him rather than screw his brains out. That's Kira's job!

I like Odo for more than his looks. He's been through some tough shit in his life, and so have I. I know what it's like to be considered a freak and hated for being different. I actually overcame a lot of the garbage I dealt with in high school because I saw Odo overcoming parts of his past on DS9.

So yeah, you can say I have a 'thing' for Odo. :)

ETA:

Also, Odo doesn't eat, so nothing going in means nothing coming out. As for, erm, male parts, he can probably shape shift some if he wants to. >>;

12. R. Star

I like Odo a lot, he's one of my favorite characters in DS9, but I have to say... Quark had something of a point when he called him a fascist. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's evil or ill hearted, but let's look at his playbook. He routinely spies on people, monitors their subspace communications, wants to enforce security curfews and crackdowns, complains about having his hand tied when he's told he can't violate people's civil rights and he doesn't care a smidgeon about due process. If he thinks you're guilty, he'll toss you in a holding cell, proof or not, and I've never seen him offer Quark or anyone a lawyer when they've been arrested. It's a small wonder Gul Dukat liked Odo during the occupation. He's got a bit of gestapo agent in him. ;)

13. _C_

_C_ Commander Red Shirt

^Bwahahaha, that he does! But who likes a perfect character? Either by writing or by acting choice, they all have flaws. It's what makes 'em easier to relate to.

14. R. Star

I'll definitely agree. That's why I love DS9. As Sisko put it, Shades of Grey. Even the station's scoundrel Quark had a heart of gold if you dig deep enough(though Odo will never admit it :p ). Everyone In TNG almost everyone was 'perfect' and that kind of got bland after awhile.

15. Storyteller

Storyteller Ensign Red Shirt

^^I always thought of Odo's "Gestapo" side as being: He was used to the Cardassian system where, basically, if you're accused of something, you're toast. He tried to avoid making false accusations whenever possible, but neither did he have to follow every piddly little legalism about handling evidence, etc., etc. Then, the Federation comes in with their "Due Process" rules and, he knows that the Federation means well, but that takes some getting used to.