MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 11, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

10.9%
  2. A

20.8%
  3. A-

18.1%
  4. B+

9.8%
  5. B

11.3%
  6. B-

4.2%
  7. C+

4.9%
  8. C

4.9%
  9. C-

3.8%
  10. D+

3.4%
  11. D

3.8%
  12. D-

2.6%
  13. F

1.5%
  1. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

The original Superman is way way over rated (he turns the planet around to stop time FFS) the 1st half of the movie is pretty good but then collaspes afterwards. Despite the Donner Superman II cut being a really good movie I really find some of the humor in 1 & 2 so out of place, forced and akward. Lex and his bumbling assistant are AWFUL enemies whom I can't take seriously. MoS has been atacked in some sections for being too serious but why the hell should Superman be this grinning idiot, the weight of the world is literally on his shoulders.

I will take this more girtty version any day.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The Donner movie certainly has its problems, I think it falls apart about the time Lex Luthor and the Bumbling Bafoons of Goofy Theme Music come in, but up until that point it'a pretty solid movie that does have a bit more joy in it than I think MoS does. Mostly in look and tone, I mean there's a lot of fun in watching Superman fly around stopping rather mundane crime and then there's a LOT of fun in his reveal to Metropolis as he saves the helicopter, rescues the plane with the damaged engine, etc. I think that sort of stuff is lacking in this movie.

The Smith podcast does a good job of pointing this out: Where WAS the point where Superman has endeared himself to Metropolis and humanity? It doesn't seam to happen. I'm not going to get on the "he did more damage than good" bandwagon but hardly seems like there's really a moment where he does something in front of a large group of people as they rally behind him and cheer.

I think that's what people get at when they say the movie lacked "joy."

3. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

When he saved the entire planet from invasion, what more does a guy need to do? This seems to be like the whole debate going on with older Trek fans and J.J new Star Trek & fans debate. People want Superman to be their old superman but everyone else has moved on. WB wanted a movie to appeal to a wider audience and it worked.

4. Trekker4747

Problem is we don't see this happen. Which, really, is why Superman should have stopped the Metropolis-end of the World Engine for their plan to work. Because as it is now, Metropolis sees the thing just stop working and then disappear and then some guy and blue and some guy and gray throwing and punching one another into buildings for 20 minutes.

There's no point where Metropolis sees Superman stop something from happening, saving the city/world and then they rally behind him and cheer.

5. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked the movie up to the point where Zod's neck was snapped. I did feel a little sick seeing that. As the movie had pointed out several times, Superman is a symbol of hope and an ideal; he's smart enough and clever enough to find another way. What happened in essence is that Zod explained to Superman that a never ending battle with Zod would be hopeless; and Superman agreed.

Of course, the comics dealt with this also in John Byrne's Superman #22:

That storyline led to a Superman consumed with guilt from this act; and he ended exiling himself into deep space so that he could try to cause no more harm in his solitude. Eventually Superman found redemption along with a piece of Kryptonian tech called the Eradicator:

It is interesting how nicely that folds into concepts introduced in Man of Steel; and Superman The Animated Series already took the step of combining the Eradicator and Brainiac.

Maybe Goyer and Snyder have a grand plan, and Superman killing Zod is the start of it just as it started a saga in the comics. We'll see. But I still felt sick watching Superman kill.

6. Trekker4747

Really? Sick?

Look, I'm all for the idea of "Superman doesn't kill" but still there's times when it's called for. And, again, it was a case of what else was there to be done? Say he COULD stop Zod from killing the family and subdue him. Then what? Zod himself said he would not stop until all the humans were gone and Superman (as far as he, and we, know) had nothing else to do with Zod. And, again, he showed REMORSE over it. He broke down and WEPT. It wasn't something he wanted to do or something he liked doing.

I'll take that over Batman's "Well, I won't kill you. But I won't save you, either!" deal to Ra's in "Batman Begins."

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

There was no other way for that character at that moment to deal with the situation. The "Superman would have thought of..." crits really consist of "the real Superman would have..." and the fact is that there neither is a real Superman nor has he been consistently written in the comics for seventy-odd years in a way that would satisfy the folks criticizing this movie.

I felt mainly empathy for Clark at having to put down the mad dog, and a little gratitude that Lois was there to support him.

In any event, the Donner movie was a mediocre Hollywood attempt at an "epic" that's redeemed mainly by Reeve's performance - very shakily supported by a script that takes nothing seriously. Man Of Steel is a far superior film in every respect.

8. Trekker4747

Yeah, Supes breaking down in a "human" moment to be then comforted by Lois was great.

9. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

In Superman II he takes away their powers making them human and then throws Zod down a hole to his death, thats way worse than Mos as Zod was no longer a threat. He had NO choice unless he wanted to see an entire family burn and potentially more humans could of followed.

This whole Heroes don't kill NO MATTER WHAT is a pathetic childish fantasy.

10. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's also not what happened; it's just the assumption you make. The full cut shows Superman turning over all three phantom zone criminals to police custody after the events in the fortress. This was even broadcast on the ABC television version in the '80's.

Well, I am sorry to insert fantasy into your fantasy movie.

11. Trekker4747

TV cuts are padded to fit timeslots. The official release of the movie does not show the Kryptonian Criminals getting arrested. (IIRC, doesn't this scene also show the FoS being destroyed which is still present in the other Superman movies?)

12. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

TemporalFlux, Please explain to me how you would of stopped a genocidal GOD like villian like Zod from killing that family and prevent his warpath to wipe out Humanity that didn't involve killing him?

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

We didn't see Zod's broken body in a pool of blood either. We don't know how fall those pits go. They probably hit the ground sometime after being thrown and ended up being injured though.

FOS was only in the first two movies, not in the third or fourth. I'll treat Superman Returns as its own thing since they had completely new writers/producers/actors.

14. Trekker4747

I have no problem with Superman killing Zod.

15. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I was asking "TemporalFlux" you posted before I did so I added the double ^^

16. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Send him back to the Phantom Zone. All it would have taken is restructuring the final act so that Zod was in a position--like the rest of the Kryptonian criminals--to be banished.

17. Trekker4747

Yes, of course, I forgot about Superman's ability to re-write the script of the movie he's in.

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

:guffaw::guffaw:

19. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The movie's thesis that humanity is so fearful that Jonathan Kent would sacrifice his life to keep Clark's secret is a fairly grim one. It really isn't believable when someone insists there's nothing intrinsically darker about this version. And this is especially true if somehow the argument that the earlier Superman was too comic or unserious is regarded as somehow acceptable. If someone can't accept the thesis (admittedly the clumsy writing of Kent's martyrdom doesn't help,) then they can't. The notion that they are not allowed to reject the thesis is wrong.

If you can take the movie on its own terms (I did myself,) it was a much more enjoyable experience. But it should be obvious to anyone that if you couldn't, it would detract from the entertainment. How this is offensive to anyone but stockholders is anybody's guess.

What isn't so obvious is how someone can simultaneously hold two contradictory opinions. The movie benefited tremendously from the plot making a certain kind of sense, in which the villain actually had a reasonable motive and practical method. The mad dog Zod is the opposite. Somehow seeing no difference is pretty uncritical. If being whipped was going to unhinge Zod, you'd think he'd have gone nuts on Krypton. The Kryptonian Zod probably would have started planning another Phantom Zone escape. Hence the creation of the new personality. Well, if they insist, but no one has a right to insist that the audience must let the makers have it both ways.

The heroism of killing is also not so obvious. In Hollywood movies it is all too commonly a childish fantasy, a way to get off on the thrill of the kill while pretending to be realistic. The new Superman's playing around with this may be nastier than the old Superman but fundamentally it's just as unserious.

PS I'd post a link if I remembered where I saw it, but I ran across an estimate of 150 million plus for marketing. It is very likely that the movie will need to gross in excess of a billion for a quick official profit. Given creative accounting and later income it is of course already a guaranteed moneymaker. But true stockholders' greed knows no bounds. It is possible they will be disappointed at waiting for the gravy.

PPS Cross-posting is confusing. It does seem a few people seem to think that Zod really did of his own volition escape the Phantom Zone. It was of course Goyer and Nolan who (clumsily) wrote him as somehow escaping, just to set up the kill. A movie is what it is, and the script said that Zod escaped and conveniently for the bloodthirsty went mad. But this doesn't fit the rest of the script. It is rather uncritical not to notice a problem. It is one thing to accept it regardless but to insist others must as well? Extraordinary.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  20. Triple-F

Triple-F Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

:wtf::guffaw::techman:
    Priceless.