Characters That Bought Out the Worst in Each Other

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by jibrilmudo, Oct 29, 2013.

1. jibrilmudo

jibrilmudo Lieutenant Red Shirt

Now, I'm not talking about characters that were bad in themselves, just bad together.

1. Worf & Jadzia.

One of the things I really appreciated about Riker and Troi is that there were short moment here and there about them but it never became too much of a melodrama and they never got involved with each other again in TNG series proper.

IDK what it is about Worf, but the ST writers kept trying to pair him more than anybody else. First with a Klingon that was cynical about anything Klingon (but way cooler than Torres could ever hope to be), but unfortunately that pairing spawned a fully obnoxious kid (that became a decent adult in DS9). Then with Troi (WTF :confused:) but Jadzia was the worst. At least in TNG it was contained to a few eps and then the show could go on.

Jadzia the Klingophile. I think it was just the constant fighting, so much soap opera that the writers felt that they had to spill it into Ezri at the end of s7. :barf: Eh, DS9 was the most pairing focused show of the bunch unfortunately and it showed, because whatever problems Worf had with Jadzia, he would probably eventually have had with the more feminine Troi as well but TNG was smart enought to kick that premise in the nuts before it blossomed.

This pairing is different than say, Keiko and O'Brien, because Keiko never bought out the worst in O'Brien. Keiko was just a bad character, period. And Gul Dukat and Kai Winn were entertaining together.

2. Jadzia and Curzon.

It seems as time moved on, she became more and more Curzon. Maybe Sisko calling her Old Man all the time didn't help. She was so accomplished in her own right (multiple degrees) that it was really questionable what the symbiont added to her life besides some questionable obsessions.

Ezri really felt like a Jadzia 2.0 in some ways, and her struggles to break away from Jadzia's life was palpable. You really have to wonder how long symbionts live and after how many lifetimes they just start consuming their hosts altogether under the sheer weight of previous experiences.

It made me question the Trill obsession with symbionts isn't just some type of child abuse to farm children out to a leach type monster.:wtf:

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I disagree with some of what you wrote. :)

3. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh look, Jadzia hatred, how quaint. And with Keiko-spite tossed in for good measure of course.

4. jibrilmudo

jibrilmudo Lieutenant Red Shirt

Oh look, a post that adds nothing.:bolian:

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Sometimes I start thinking the Keiko haters must wish that Dukat and Winn were their parents.

Quark brought out the worst in everybody at times, just by being himself.

6. Slyvon

Slyvon Lieutenant Red Shirt

I eventually hated scenes with Kira and Quark. It seems like whenever she walked into his bar she reverted back to season 1 Kira. She was always so rude! I could never understand why, especially when the later seasons showed him to be a pretty good guy!

7. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the hostility Kira showed Quark was a bit of Odo inspired keeping him on his toes. I think also her position as first officer meant that Kira had to be a hard arse to Quark considering some of the shenanigans he got up to. Sisko didn't seem to fond of him at times either, but they were all there for Quark when he lost everything to Brunt.

I never really got the hate towards Keiko. I felt like Keiko and O'brien's relationship was pretty realistic. I also thought Jadzia and Work worked well together.

Overall i think DS9 did relationships the best out of all the trek series.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  8. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think Worf and Dax brought out the worst in each other, but they weren't too believable as a couple. Honestly had Dax not died, I'm with Quark... it would've have lasted. They're just way too different and Dax is just way too all over the place in her personality.

9. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I feel like it was their differences that brought Jadzia and Worf together. Even though they clearly frustrated each other, their love for each other really shone through. Jadzia's willingness to put her pride and immaturity aside and apologise to Sirella is an example of that i think. I think they both showed a willingness to compromise and that is what would have kept them together.

10. _C_

_C_ Commander Red Shirt

Odo and the female Changeling brought out the worst in each other. She almost made him not care about the station until Kira almost-execution knocked sense back into him.

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Quark and Brunt

Some of the Brunt episodes were god damn stupid and cartoonish.

On a similar note, Moogie and Rom.

12. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I mostly agree about Jadzia and Worf. They were too different, and her blind Klingon worship got annoying. He stifled her free spirit too much. I really hated all the Klingon ritual crap Jadzia had to go thru to marry Worf, while he didn't have to prove his worthiness to be with her.
    Funny enough though, I found Worf more interesting with Ezri. There was more genuine affection I felt between them, and she was more willing to call him on his crap.
    I do think that Jadzia was wonderful enough in her own right that I'm not sure that she needed the symbiote. Curzon's past seemed to drag her down a lot. With Ezri it was more interesting to see her struggle with the symbiote because she didn't want it.

13. nureintier

nureintier Commander Red Shirt

Keiko's not my favorite character by a long shot, but I found her and O'brien's relationship to be one of the more believable relationships.

As for Jadzi and Worf, I dunno. Too much just seemed to be comic relief (by them ending up with broken bones, etc.) and a way to showcase Jadzia's Klingonphilia. I didn't really mind it though.

i don't dislike any of those characters, but I agree that things got a bit too goofy and cartoony at times when they focused too much on them.

14. JirinPanthosa

Maybe Moogie and Zek is a better example than Moogie and Rom.

Rom had a few 'MOOOOGGIIIIE' moments that rolled your eyes back into your brain, but the entire storyline with Moogie being Zek's girlfriend was ridiculously stupid.

And Brunt was the closest thing to a TNG Ferengi in DS9. The Ferengi are supposed to be this laissez-faire Ayn Rand planet, but whenever Brunt shows up the economy is arbitrarily regulated in silly ways.

15. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The writers brought out the worst in Odo when it came to the unrequited love with Kira. I never bought that part of the character.

16. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really? I always liked the angsty side of Odo. A man who's been lonely his whole life, finally working up the nerve to feel something for someone else, only to be too shy and see the opportunity pass him by.

That is was Quark of all people who saw that and helped him through it was even more gold.

17. JirinPanthosa

Yeah, I would agree with that. I definitely bought that Odo had a lot of feelings for Kira. But, I don't buy that a shapeshifter's idea of how to act on those feelings overlaps with a solid's idea of how to act on those feelings in any way. Odo/Kira's friendship should have never been viewed in terms of a 'Guy gets the girl' story. The men Kira was having physical relationships with shouldn't have made Odo jealous at all, if anything Kira's close friendship with Odo should have made the men jealous.

Their love should have been more along the lines of Picard/Guinan. Transcendent, asexual love.

18. nureintier

nureintier Commander Red Shirt

Me too. I think a lot of the stuff with Odo's inner turmoil was pretty well-done, actually. Some of the interpersonal character drama in the show was kind of annoying, but I really felt for Odo (even if I'm not a huge fan of Kira, myself).

19. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

No mention of Rom and Leeta yet?

20. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't really agree with that one. The only serious issues I remember Rom and Leeta having always seemed to be instigated by other people's interference (usually Quark), not by their own interactions with each other.