Voyager v.s. The Next Generation and Deep Space 9

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Nine of Four, Sep 1, 2013.

?

Voyager v.s. The Next Generation and Deep Space 9

1. Voyager

13 vote(s)
    29.5%
  2. The Next Generation/Deep Space 9

31 vote(s)
    70.5%
  1. Nine of Four

Nine of Four Commander Red Shirt

I've heard a lot of people say Voyager is the worst of the three, one of the worst series.

But I've also heard a lot of people say Voyager is the best series EVER.

I'd like to settle it right now.

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Doubtful anything will be settled "right now" about anything.
    Some people will say TNG is better than the other two.

We all know TOS rules all.

3. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've said it before and I'll say it again; I think anyone who thinks Voyager is clearly better is looking at the others (TNG in particular) through rose colored glasses and voyager through darker colored glasses.

Voyager felt far too much to me like "The little ship that could" during its premier, but now that its almost 20 years since the series launched and I've seen it in rerun a whole bunch of times now (and rewatch the series about once a year), I've really come to realize its written a lot better then I gave it credit for in premier and I think a lot of fans are the same way.

Truthfully, the lessons the writers, producers and directors learned in TNG and DS9 culminated in Voyager and started to towards the end of Enterprise. If Enterprise didn't get cut off in its prime, I think it would have easily been recognized as the best Star Trek series; that simply demonstrates each series has gotten progressively better.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the past couple of years I've rewatched TOS, VOY and ENT. For the most part, I've enjoyed myself. Up next was TNG - but I couldn't make it. The show has aged terribly. The acting and direction is poor (the direction is so awful, they literally stand around taking turns to recite lines), the morals are trite and the action is next to nonexistent. Deep Space Nine was the first series I got on DVD, and I still haven't been able to bring myself to watch it.

Therefore - Voyager wins.

5. Lucky

Lucky Captain Captain

Had to vote against Voyager. I like it, but as far as I'm concerned it is the worst Star Trek series.

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

The poll doesn't specify whether you're supposed to vote for worst or best.

7. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

^Indeed.

Anyway, TNG vs. VOY might be interesting, but DS9 is, for me, better than either one.

8. Melakon

And lumping TNG and DS9 together skews the results regardless of what the question is supposed to be.

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Agreed, the poll should also include TOS and ENT and be in the general Trek sub-forum. As some people might not venture into the VOY sub-forum further skewing the results.

10. dauntless

dauntless Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

TNG for me. I personally believe that DS9 is the worst of the three - wooden acting being the biggest issue.

11. Melakon

DS9 started out all right, but all the obsession with space battle scenes is not what I watch Star Trek for. If I wanted big space battles, I'd watch Star Wars (and I don't mean that guy with the threads).

12. DonIago

(blinks) Obsession with space battle scenes?

Beyond a certain point, the series was portraying a war between two major powers. Battles were inevitably going to occur, and I believe they're in the minority of episodes.

Anyway, sorry if the show wasn't to your liking.

13. DonIago

I suspect the OP was just looking for a comparison of the shows set in the 24th century.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

TOS>TNG>ENT>VOY>DS9

15. DonIago

Amusingly I can't tell whether that's intended to be worst-best or best-worst.

16. Melakon

I left out the main reason I felt that way. During the first run, due to some unpleasant personal misfortunes, I missed huge chunks of the Dominion War, and missed most of the final season (until I managed to find the 7th season this year at a used video store). I'm still not clear on the entire Dominion storyline because I missed so much of Seasons 5 & 6.

When I was able to catch the show, it was either in the middle of a Dominion arc, or Dukat's face turn, or some lackluster standalone episode unrelated to anything else. So it just looked like big battles for the sake of big battles. It may take a while until I'm able to see everything and figure out what was going on.

I had a similar problem with Enterprise, when circumstances caused me to miss most of Season 3 and all of Season 4, until getting the series collection this year.

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This ">" is a greater than sign. :techman:

18. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

DS9 beat VOY in stories, characters, development and overall feel. They had great arcs, plenty of storylines that crossed each season and were revisited, rich and interesting main characters and brilliant recurring ones too.

VOY had some good moments but it never hit what it could've been, it never had a sense of isolation and desperation that a ship lost 70 years from home would have had, whilst the premise itself kinda demands the need for some sense of serialisation. Add to that some wishy-washy characters who didn't really go anywhere and the fact that most were ignored for a pair of bionic boobs in the matter half of the show.

That compared to the combined might of TNG/DS9 and it doesn't stand a chance.

19. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

Voyager remains my favorite. Although I like all of the series. Any Star Trek is better than no Star Trek.

I never really got into DS9 first run thanks to the network that was showing it butchering the schedule. I missed huge chunks of the ongoing arcs thanks to sports preemptions all of the time.

TNG is good, despite the first two seasons looking bad from today's standards. The stories still hold true. ENT's first two seasons were mediocre at best, the last two were pretty sweet. TOS is TOS, it started it all.

But I have a soft spot for VOY. It was showing when I was going through high school and I really looked forward to watching it week after week. It was the Trek I grew up with and it aired at a time when spoilers were pretty much nonexistent for me. I did not know of any behind the scenes stuff. I just liked the characters, the ship, the premise, Seven of Nine... :lol:

20. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Although it's not my favorite Trek series (I don't often have a hankering to rewatch episodes the way I do with even Enterprise), I think Voyager gets unfairly maligned as TOS part 3. It's a little too easy to point to single episodes and say, "that's why Voyager was so bad," as if the other series didn't have their crewmembers transforms in strange ways. I do think the show went too many times to the well with the Borg, diluting one of the franchise's more powerful storytelling tools.

On the other hand, I think that the first two seasons are more assured than the other series. Although the Kazon could seem to be derivative and unbelievable in their incompetence, they were certainly the right size for villains for the ship. Indeed, if the story had remained in the Alpha Quadrant, Janeway et al would not be taking on the same tasks as Picard. It's missions would be smaller in scale, and the villains would need to be downsized appropriately (unless, of couse, the ship became involved in the Dominion War).

Of all the little things that could have been done to improve the show (like not focusing on three characters and pissing off the rest of the cast), there's really only one thing I think would have drastically improved the show: that Mulgrew was invested in Janeway the same way Brooks was invested in Sisko, putting forth not just a de facto vision of a women in charge, but making the character a focus of commentary on femininity and authority. (I'm sure people will disagree with the assessment.)

BTW, I didn't vote in the poll--too simple.