Assignment: Earth

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Agenda, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What do you think of this ep? What sells it for me is Robert Lansing's performance as Gary Seven. He has a presence about him that allows him to stand toe-to-toe with Kirk and Spock. And of course...there's Isis.

2. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

I love this episode and agree with Beyond Antares---Robert Lansing is terrific in this.

4. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

The episode itself was an excellent story that was a great setup to a possible new series. I don't know why it wasn't "sold" to the network because it would have made a great show. Goldbug, your opening title sequences are quite good, the styling and music were great representations of the time period.

5. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

It's not one of the strongest TOS episodes, but I've always had a soft spot for "Assignment: Earth." I love the premise, and wish more could have been done with it.

6. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

I already had a huge crush on Robert Lansing from his TV series, "Twelve O'clock High." I was pretty devastated when they killed off the general and replaced him with a colonel, played by Paul Burke.

They said Lansing was too old; but he was terrific to me, and I was in the teenage demographic. What a voice and understated swagger he had. Of course, I love the episode.

7. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

I don't think it's a good Star Trek episode, but the Gary Seven Idea could've been a great show on it's own. You can really see it as kind've a slightly counter culture sci-fi adventure thing. Robert Lansing was awesome.

I would've loved to see some more adventures of Gary Seven, he had some cool gadgets. I would welcome a remake of the concept, since it's never really been exploited properly. It was frankly cheap to shoehorn into a TOS episode.

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

"Assignment: Earth" is to "The Day The Earth Stood Still" as "Star Trek" is to "Forbidden Planet." And, obviously, I think the world is crying out for more Gary Seven/Roberta Lincoln adventures . . . .

9. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

^^It is actually pretty amzing that nobody ever bought (or stole) the idea for a series.

An adavanced alien race looking to steer Earth toward a peaceful prosporus future has so many possibilites it's ridiculous.

I could even imagine a paranoid resistance group that fears domination.

Kind of a reverse 'V'----where humans are misgiudedly opposing an alien group that is actually is working for our greater good.

10. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

I say they should still make it. I even think it would be cool as a 60's period piece.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  11. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

^^Great idea.

Make it a period piece and show how Gary 7 averted various catastrophies from the late 1960s/70s.

Wars, coups, epidemics, even hostile alien invasions/infiltrations---all fodder for episodes.

Hell, set it in the Trek universe (as it was in the episode) and even throw in time traveling Trek baddies once or twice.

12. doctorwho 03

doctorwho 03 Captain Captain

Next to "Doomsday Machine", this is my all time favorite episode. Would've made a great series by itself or as a Star Trek spinoff. IDW Publishing did a great miniseries based on this episode, with each issue being set one year after the other starting in 1968. My favorite issue was the second one set in 1969 and intertwining itself with TOS episode "Tomorrow is Yesterday".

This would be a perfect series for any fan filmers to take a crack at.

13. Jeri

It was great they showed up in the Eugenics Wars books; thanks for that.

14. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

The scene with Spock stroking the cat in the briefing room has a lot of meaning after it's revealed she a woman.

15. Jeri

Indeed; Isis is pussyfooting, too.

[​IMG]

16. johcomp

johcomp Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

A prime candidate for next week's caption contest, Joe :)

17. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

You're welcome! :)

18. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I Agree :devil:

19. Shatmandu

Shatmandu Vice Admiral Admiral

Done and done!

Joe, done

20. buckeyenation

buckeyenation Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

let's face it, terri garr is just plain smoking hot in those white stockings.....grrrrrrrrrrr!