Recommend your favorite Science or Technology book.

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by TerriO, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Mr Scott's guide to the Enterprise by Shane Johnson. :bolian:

2. rramarr

rramarr Commander Red Shirt

My first favorite too

My second favorite!

3. FlyingLemons

FlyingLemons Vice Admiral Admiral

The New Time Travellers by David Toomey. I always find popsci books a little basic, but on the other hand it's a nice introduction to the theories of time travel that modern physics has come up with.

Plus, with time travel and parallel universes being back in fashion in the world of Trek, it serves as a nice primer on some of the theories behind these things...

4. plague

plague Lieutenant Red Shirt

I agree with this one and recommend it. Although I seem to recall that one or more of the theories in it are now out of date.

I also recommend How Computers Work by Ron White and Timothy Edward Downs. I was looking for a very beginner computer book for someone, that started with the fundamentals, and this was the best I could find. I think that once you learn the concepts of how they work, it's much easier to start learning how to actually operate them and maintain them.

5. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bate, Mueller and White's classic text on the Fundamentals of Astrodynamics.

No it's not a pop science book. It's a certainly a goldmine for any aspiring astronomy or aerospace eng. students. I used this as a student but I think it's also good for anyone who is just curious about orbital mechanics.

6. ring

ring Guest

A brief history of time......anytime.....:techman:

7. suphwed55

suphwed55 Guest

Hi,I am new to this site but will be humble enough to recommend a book on computer networking science and technology- Joint International Conference on Measurement and Modeling of Computer Systems (2006 : Saint Malo, France)

Have a trial on the same.Beleive me it is very very informative.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2010
  8. firecrackerrrr

firecrackerrrr Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Parallel Worlds by Michio Kaku really stands out for me (as well as Physics of the Impossible and Hyperspace by him as well), Feynman Lectures on Physics, The Character of Physical Law by Feynman is fantastic; Introduction to Quantum Theory (David Park), Scientists and Engineers, 5th edition, by Serway & Beichner, Black Holes and Time warps by Kip Thorne, Road to Reality (Penrose), The Flying Circus of Physics (Jearl Walker? Sp?), A Short History of Nearly Everything (Bill Bryson), Isaac Newton (James Gleick), The Trouble With Physics (Lee Snolin? Forgot the spelling)......

I also actually liked Universe in a Nutshell. Hawking is a fantastic physicist but perhaps not the greatest science educator. Brief/Briefer History of Time was fantastic but there's lots of disagreement when it comes to Universe in a Nutshell. I thought it was a great, though somewhat misunderstood and/or underappreciated book. I can see where he was going with it but I also admit it was poorly executed.

9. MLJames

MLJames Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I recommend 13 Things That Don't Make Sense by Michael Brooks. It's a nice little book that looks at several subjects where the experimental data is at odds with what we know (or think we know) about how things work. For example, the flight paths of the two Pioneer spacecraft launched in the early 70s are deviating from what the laws of gravitation say they should be, and no one knows why.

10. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

There are four books which I'm pretty sure I'll never be without...
    Geometry: A Comprehensive Course by Dan Pedoe
    An Introduction to Differential Geometry by T. J. Willmore
    Riemannian Geometry by Manfredo P. do Carmo
    Topics in Algebra by I. N. Herstein​
    When I lost my original collection of math books, these were the first books I set out to re-acquire (except Topics in Algebra, which I had with me when I lost the rest) because they cover the aspects of mathematics I find most important.

While I know most of what is covered in them (specially An Introduction to Differential Geometry and Riemannian Geometry), I always feel better having them within reach. And in the cases of Geometry and Topics in Algebra, they hold a lot of knowledge I'd really like to have a better mastery of than I currently possess.

11. munwai

munwai Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

"Trilobite!" by Richard Fortey. It's an amazing book that follows the evolution of trilobites and their journey from the sea to the land.

12. RyanKCR

RyanKCR Vice Admiral Admiral

Some of my favorites:

A Brief History of Time Stephen Hawking
    The Astronomer's Universe Herbert Friedman
    In Search of Schroedinger's Cat John Gribbin
    The Cosmic Code Heinz Pagels
    Black Holes and Time Warps Kip Thorne

All of which I own and read cover to cover.

13. MHT1138

MHT1138 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond Its a science, geography, anthropology, history etc. book. Its awesome. Its about the different factors, mainly geography, that explain how and when different civilizations come about.

14. Python Trek

Python Trek Commodore Commodore

West Consin, People's Republic of America
    "Rare Earth: Why Complex Life is Uncommon in the Universe", by Peter Ward and Donald E. Brownlee. It certainly shits in the Cheerios of the "ET true believahs", but it's nice to shake up your perceptions, so I'd recommend you give it a look. It's a very impressive piece of work.

15. xmen3

xmen3 Guest

These are my favourites:

The Fountains of Paradise -by Sir Arthur C Clarke.

2001: A Space Odyssey- by Sir Arthur C Clarke.

2010: Odyssey Two- by Sir Arthur C Clarke.

2061: Odyssey Three- by Sir Arthur C Clarke.

16. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

17. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

it may be disputable whether experimental archeology would count as a science, but if you're interested in that field, I can wholeheartedly recommend all of Thor Heyerdahl's books. His theories on aquatic migration routes, based on building styles, specifically pyramids, may be overly bold, but at least he proved that with ancient boats these journeys were actually possible.
    Also, he's a really good writer, entertaining and well-spoken, so that his books make a thrilling bedtime-read.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  18. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

19. desertstarlover

desertstarlover Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

20. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

[​IMG]

From Dust to Life: The Origin and Evolution of Our Solar System John Chambers (Author), Jacqueline Mitton (Author)

If your interest is in the evolution of the solar system, the planets and life, you should read this. It's excellent and up to date. Be forewarned, you need at least a little science background to understand it, but I would imagine anyone that posts in a science forum on a Star Trek board would have no problem with it. He really details things very well. This has turned out to be a real page turner for me.

$16.17 for the Kindle version, I have no idea what buying the book would cost.