Season SIX OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Troi looked the best with giant hair and not tanned imo. It's just weird to see her without the big hair. Worf's hair is looking pretty good this season though. And Patrick Stewart's hair too of course.

2. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hear you. I think they characterize errors into ones worth fixing, and ones worth keeping. They've kept errors caused by shortcuts (like the shuttle footage) and fixed errors that they think the original effects team would have fixed had they realized (such as the beam in EaF, or the wrong planet color for Galorndon Core). It's all up to CBS-D's judgment I guess. The beam coming out of the neck in Timescape makes for a better shot IMO, so I see why it was chosen originally and kept now. I'm mixed on the Darmok correction, because it was so odd. Strangely, I'm going to miss that. :confused:

They easily could have recreated that with the same angle, but I can see why they changed it. They had to redo the shot from scratch, so why not make that little change? Thankfully, those two elements were found and later used together in A Matter of Honor. The Enterprise element was heavily used throughout the show for when the ship is at warp:

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x01/farpoint_hd_193.jpg

Restored model shot in 11001001: http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x15/11001001_hd_355.jpg

When I rip these episodes onto my media player, I'm going to see if I can edit in the corrected shot used in A Matter of Honor.

If that were to happen in a million years, then I'll get the whole set for you, free of charge. :)

3. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

I will send you a PM when it happens to remind you, but I'll insist to have it gift-wrapped. :lol:

Sorry to beat a dead horse here, but looking again at another "Timescape" VFX screencap I have to wonder: Are we looking at an incredibly small Romulan warbird or has the size of the Runabout shuttle increased because of some strange "exotic" phenomenon? :confused:

Bob

4. jimbotron

Trek has always been bad at proper scaling. The Klingon BOP is often way too big, and the Warbird is scaled too small. In non-alien cases, the Constellation and Oberth classes were too big next to the Enterprise. They usually got the Excelsior shots right.

I had no idea the Warbird was supposed to dwarf the Enterprise. The only time that was conveyed was its first appearance in The Neutral Zone: http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x26/theneutralzone_hd_408.jpg

5. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

Looks like some guess work on the resizing of elements to perspective / scale.

6. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow, what's wrong with the saucer section in that screencap? Is that just a bad capture with motion blur?

7. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

It's the damage that it suffers in the episode, I think.

8. jimbotron

So I get that the ship is supposed to be scorched on the saucer, yet in the very next establishing shot after the Warbird vanishes, the green burn marks are gone. That confused me as a kid. It's not like the shooting never happened, because one of the bridge consoles in the background stayed scorched after everything was 'restored'.

So the green burn marks are gone entirely in the remaster. It's for the best I guess, because it removes a continuity error which has bugged me for decades. :lol:

9. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh was he? Got that in a (large) to watch pile, might have to move it up a bit.

10. jimbotron

The Chain of Command commentary was an excellent listen. You get to know Jonathan West, you get to know Ronny Cox, and the Okudas are always there to share relevant information, keep the topic lively and informative, and generally know every aspect of the production. It was also really cool to dive into the mind of Natalia Nogulich, and see where Nechayev came from. Definitely worth the price of admission.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I noticed that the S6 blu-ray set is apparently no longer available. Amazon.com says it would take 1-4 weeks for it to be delivered. Why is it in such short supply? Was there not enough demand to make more?

12. jimbotron

It's also $117. Who would want to buy that?

13. KaineMorrison

KaineMorrison Lieutenant Commander

My local Best Buy and Target have a few copies still. They are $69.99 in the store.
    Wal*Mart is selling them for $116.99 and they will not Price Match without a Flyer in hand.

14. Reeborg

Reeborg Commander Red Shirt

All the "Niners" were too eager to get season 6, also in order to show the potential of DS9-BDs. I guess season 6 will be (at least) the second best sold season of TNG.

15. jimbotron

That'd be nice. If sales spike because of the DS9 angle, then hopefully CBS notices.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Our Best Buy doesn't have it. :( But at least it's still available on Amazon.ca.

17. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

Really not a fan of the soft focus photography they seemed to be in favour of for any of scene not set aboard the Enterprise. It's seemingly add a whole lot of noise which is considerably more noticeable in HD.

18. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

Just watched deleted scenes for Rightful Heir. There are a bunch, and many moments are actually pretty good as far as story and performance.

I usually treat deleted scenes as a curiosity to be slogged through once or twice and then forgotten. I do like how TNG HD has the scenes bookended by the moments from the show preceding and following the scene, but it occurred to me the lost opportunity to simply include the scenes as a branching option on the blu-ray within the ep itself, resulting in something similar to the extended Measure of a Man

I feel this option would more fully utilize the capabilities of the blu-ray medium, and make it more likely that I'd watch the scenes more than once. Technically, I wouldn't expect them to do anything more with the scenes than they already have as far as visual and audio is concerned, but as it stands, I really don't see myself bothering to watch the isolated scenes again.

I'm sure some enterprising fan(s) will eventually do the edits themselves, but for the somewhat pricey cost of admission for these sets, it's too bad the scenes could not be optionally integrated into the episode at large.

Meanwhile... Birthright, Part I... :drool::drool::drool:

NEED DEEP SPACE NINE ON BLU-RAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :klingon::cool::mallory::cool::klingon:

19. depp91

depp91 Ensign Newbie

I'm so looking forward to getting this the day after tomorrow when it will be released here in Germany:drool::drool:

Meanwhile, someone over at cinefacts.de claimed that the deleted scene for Relics is provided in SD only, can anyone please disprove this?:wtf:

20. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Just learned that the VFX beam in "Timescape" was corrected in at least one of the scenes on Blu-ray, good to know. :techman:

I just hope that there are no screwups like this in Season Seven. Had someone listened long ago to Maxwell Everett's proposal to involve the fans in the decision making progress, this would have never happened.

Bob