MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder how badly Justin Turner is hurt. :( It's been awhile since I saw somebody in that much pain on a baseball field.

Edit: Roy Oswalt signs with Rangers. Linky

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  2. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

He's on the disable list with the rolled ankle, I'm worried it will be like Ike Davis last year and we'll never see him again this year. This is like loosing Daniel Murphy last year, who was in so much pain.

On the Mets overall, I couldn't be happier with the way they are playing. It's a nice change, getting very good pitching with timely hitting. I don't know how long it will last but I'm here for the ride until the wheels fall off.

Both the AL East and NL East has all its teams above .500. So some great baseball is being played all around.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Hawk totally loses his shit...again... linky

4. Tom Hendricks

This really perturbed me, several pitchers ave been tossed for throwing "behind" a hitter. I don't care if it was intentional or not, the batter was not hit by the pitch. So the pitcher shouldn't have been ejected. It's up to the batter, with his bat or opposing pitcher to hold the opposing team responsible.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

It was just so fucking hilarious listening to Hawk go apeshit like that, as if the pitcher had just shot his grandmother or something. :lol:

And now, the aftermath:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  6. Mr. Laser Beam

Way to go Johan Santana!!! The first Mets NO-HITTER!!! :techman:

7. Tom Hendricks

I can't believe it, I had tickets to tonight's Mets game but had to give them up because I'm in North Carolina. Of course, it would happen this way. I was watching on my iPad from the hotel I'm staying at, otherwise I would have missed it. I'm in Hickory NC, a few exits away from where they filmed a good portion of the Hunger Games, a pretty neat location if I do say so.

8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

John Mayberry Jr. makes a crazy awesome catch to save the Phillies victory. I assume the No-Hitter will get number one in the top ten, but seriously keep an eye out for it, that thing was awesome.

9. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw that news this morning and I kicked myself for not staying up to to watch the end.

10. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

That was a great catch. I'd put it above the no-hitter. Especially since Santana's no-hitter had a little help from a blown call.

11. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I don't really give two hoots about New York sports, but Mets fans really deserved that no-hitter after so many years of utter incompetence, mismanagement and idiocy at the ownership level, and complete insanity at the organizational level. Good for the Mets, and good for Johan Santana -- he's one of the genuinely good guys in baseball.

12. Alidar Jarok

Sadly enough, the play didn't even make the top 10.

For those who want to watch it, it's about 1:14 in here

Although Papplebon's quote might be right. He made an easy play look hard (he badly misread it at first, but his athleticism and freakishly long arms compensated for it). Still, it was a pretty catch.

13. Tom Hendricks

I wouldn't call that a blown call more of a missed call. A blown call intimates that it was painfully obvious to everyone what happen. Watched in normal speed you don't see the chalk fly, only in the super slow-mo do you. Most no-hitters and perfect games are usually helped with a few friendly calls, some great catches and an opposing team that just flew in for the series.

14. Timby

It's a pretty definitively blown call:

[​IMG]

It doesn't matter in the big scheme of things, because fuck the Cardinals always and forever and Johan Santana owns bones, but let's call a spade a spade -- Adrian Johnson blew it.

While I disagree with your last point (I don't quite get what you're saying -- that a no-hitter or a perfect game happens because the other team is phoning it in?), your first point is generally correct. Ever since the Jim Joyce incident, any call that the umpire thinks is close or doesn't know on an in-progress no-hitter from about the fifth on is going to go in favor of the pitcher. That's just how it's going to be until replay gets instituted on boundary and base calls.

15. Tom Hendricks

I was only arguing semantics. A blown vs a missed call, I totally agree that it was a hit. My contention is that a blown call is something that is painfully obvious to everyone and a missed call is something that you need super slow motion to really tell and even then it's tough.

My last point was that a team just flying in for a series is more run down and more likely to have something like a no-hitter. No imperial data for that, just a maybe factor.

16. Alidar Jarok

The point is it would be painfully obvious if you look at the foul line.

17. Timby

The Cubs have scored a run on only nine of their last 81 innings on the road. [​IMG]

18. Mr. Laser Beam

19. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

The sad thing is, exactly like last year, they frequently get more hits than the other team.

Sometimes quite a few more hits, just not in a row. Maybe Jaramillo isn't the answer.

20. Tom Hendricks

I'm feeling really bad for the Philies right now. Without their two stars, they were hanging tough. They may have been in last place but were over five hundred. Now more players are hurt, hey have loss 6 in a row and are now under five hundred. While under normal circumstances I wouldn't be thinking this, I would be glad thy were in last place. I never like it to be this way.