The Dresden Files Short Story placement

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Oct 18, 2010.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm a big Dresden Files fan and I saw that the short story collection Side Jobs is coming out in a couple weeks. But before I got it I just wanted to know where all of the stories take place, because that will decide for me when I'm going to get it. I'm up to Summer Knight now, so if any of the stories take place before or around it I'm gonna get it as soon as it comes out.

2. Starscape

Starscape Commodore Fan Art Challenge Winner

Here's the official list of all the Dresden short stories and where they occur in the series:

http://www.jim-butcher.com/dresden/short/

Looks like only one (or possibly two) fit in sometime before "Summer Knight" and you can get those free from the website. :)

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool, thanks. Looks like I'll wait, since most of the stories take place latter in the series.

4. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Side Jobs is out? Amazon.co.uk says it's not out while next year.

5. Starscape

Starscape Commodore Fan Art Challenge Winner

^^ It seems the US has a hardback release of "Side Jobs" this month, but the UK has to wait until April for a paperback. :borg:

6. Bob The Skutter

Ah, they're doing what they did with the Codex Alera books. I bought the Codex Alera books from Amazon, but with Side Jobs I can wait, I have most of them in the anthologies they were originally in.

7. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Apparently a few stores released Side Jobs earlier this past week, but the official US release date is Oct. 26th.

Now while I've read every short story released, I've never bought but two of the anthologies as I just read the stories themselves in the store.

However, we'll also be getting a new short in addition to Aftermath (the latest short chronologically) called Love Hurts (which is to be released in an anthology later in November) as well as a revised and corrected copy of Backup.

I actually trolled a few bookstores while I was out today in hopes of seeing it out early as well, but no luck.

Some days it seems Ghost Story can't come out soon enough... but with Butcher's ability to churn out quality on a consistent basis, I can't complain.

8. Bob The Skutter

^I'm looking forward to finding out what his new series is for this time next year too. I just wish Side Jobs was coming out here sooner, because I won't get to read Aftermath while after Ghost Story at this rate.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I'm looking forward to Side Jobs, but I've got a bunch of other books I need to get through first, so I'll probably wait until Christmas for it.

As for Butcher's next series, I remember him briefly discussing an idea he had for a science fiction series about a human law enforcement agent working cases across the solar system, which by that time has been heavily colonized by humanity. Something like that, anyway. That was a couple years ago, though, he might have come up with something different since then.

10. Bob The Skutter

^He's mentioned a couple, one he started writing a few years ago which sounds like the one you're talking about and he said where he'd last written he'd left the hero floating round a planet with no ship and no way to get out of it, or something like that. He's also talked about an "X-Files meets X-Men" type series. Which ever he goes for I'll gladly pick it up.
    Personally I always skip whatever else is on the shelf and go straight to the Dresden Files books, they're my favourites.

11. Technobuilder

Yeah, I have to agree with Bob the Skull, The Dresden Files is my favorite series being released currently. I'm also a big Honor Harrington Fan, but Weber has diversified so much, I can't get a consistent Honor fix. Butcher delivers Dresden consistently.

I really enjoyed Codex Alera, so whatever Jim comes up with for his next series, I'm sold.

Also, Bob - if I get the E-Book version of Side Jobs, I'd be willing to shoot you a copy early if you're still planning to buy it dead tree. I can't stand to let you wait til after Ghost Story for something I'll have by next week.

12. Bob The Skutter

^Great thanks. Yeah, I already have it ordered at amazon.co.uk but it's not out till after Ghost Story here. I am hoping Amazon.com have it on kindle and I can get it earlier that way but I doubt I'll be able to get it that way.
    Yeah, took me about half the first book to get in to Codex Alera but once I did I loved that too, in certain aspects I'd put it above Dresden, but Dresden is more consistent and there's more of it to love. I keep meaning to buy Jim's Spider-man book too, but haven't got round to it yet.

13. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I became a huge fan of The Dresden Files last year. I've read all of the novels available in paperback. I know Changes is available in hardcover, and now Side Jobs is coming out in hardcover, too. I'm eager to continue with more Dresden but I'm trying to wait for the smaller, cheaper and easier-to-shelf paperback copies.

14. Skywalker

I tried to do that after I got into the series back in '07, but I just couldn't wait.

15. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I've read up through White Knight. I keep wanting to buy Small Favor, but I've only seen it available in that 1-inch-too-tall new format they're pushing, and I'm boycotting that for now.

16. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I really don't understand the format change to the taller paperbacks. They charge an extra $2 for them, too. Anyone know why this odd-sized format even exists?

17. Skywalker

Maybe since they're larger, they require less paper than the smaller paperbacks, which means less cost for the publishers, and then they turn around and charge an additional $2, which means extra profit for the publishers. I don't actually know, that's just my guess.

18. Technobuilder

No clue why a taller paperback should cost more money, but I know for a fact that the old style format isn't coming back any time soon.

I started buying the Hardbacks with White Night, and assumed I'd continue to buy the paperbacks as well to complete the set,until Small Favor was released in that oversized form.

Now I just buy the Hardbacks and if i find 1-7 in Hardback I'll pick it up.

19. Bob The Skutter

Could always buy the UK paperbacks that are the usual size, but then you'd have a total change in the cover style.

20. Skywalker

Well, the US covers by Christian McGrath look nice and all, but they aren't a very good representation of Harry (what's with the hat?).