I just saw Archer's gazelle speech...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Bones2, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

What a legend. Surely the man's up there with Kirk in the captain stakes.

But yeah, Shockwave part 2 was on. And watching that bit at the end about mistakes and learning and that made me wonder if this may have been the writers/producers' analogy about how they'd not always got it right but were improving. Of course, this was the start of season 2 and it was perhaps as hit and miss as season 1, but where it hit, it hit better. Or maybe I'm reading my own interpretation into it retroactively.

Any thoughts?

2. Lady Conqueror

Lady Conqueror Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was meant to be a bad speech hence T'Pol jumping in to save the day by making her own speech and thus finally cementing her place as being on the human's side.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I bet he resused it for his birth of the Federation speech at end of "These Are the Voyages" :p

That's why Riker turned off the holodeck before the end.

4. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

A speech worthy of a thousand facepalms...

5. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If it was meant to be a bad speech, they really went all-out. The way the camera pans around dramatically makes it feel like this is going to be an epic statement; if this is tongue-in-cheek, it was incredibly nuanced.

It's the build-up to what will surely be a stunning refutation of humanity's critics. Then we get...the baby gazelle talk.

In my book, certainly not the finest hour for the ENT team.

Although Bones is right, on a meta-level it makes sense, kind of like Archer's speech in IAMD 2 about how they're not responsible for "losing this war," it's the people in command off the front lines.

6. mirandafave

mirandafave Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:guffaw:The reaction to the speech then being:

'We the Denobulan congregation would like now to propose our withdrawal from the proposed Federation and choose to now sequester ourselves away from the rest of the galaxy because of this speech. Don't be surprised if you never see any of us in years to come!'

'We the Xindi also will do likewise.'

'We the Vulcan congregation have heard it all before. Meh - what are you going to do - they are humans, so we'll stick it out.'

7. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I've been re watching a lot of enterprise lately, and have been enjoying it immensely. Far more so than I did originally but I too caught Shockwave Part 2, and as much as Im enjoying the show, that gazelle speech is hilariously odd. It isn't bad per se, it gets the message across that Archer intends, but its just so out of place in any situation I can't help but laugh.

8. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was bad the moment Archer said that humans were not like Gazelles, thus throwing everything he said before out the window. T'Pol coming in was awesome though, but that speech, as bad as it was, could have been a little better as to not make it that obvious.

9. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Archer (and the writing staff) couldn't have done worse if the had started with Archer saying:

"A Human, Vulcan, and Denobulan walked into a bar..."

and have T'Pol step in at THAT point. :lol:

10. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

I don't think the Gazelle speech was so bad. I don't really get all the hate.

11. I am Surak

I am Surak Captain Captain

It gave T'Pol another reason to shine.

12. Graywand2

Graywand2 Commander Red Shirt

I like the gazelle speech actually.

13. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

14. commodore64

commodore64 Vice Admiral Admiral

I believe the writer's wanted the metaphor to be a bit more meaningful, but definitely T'Pol is meant to jump in and save the day thus being on the human's side.

You know what, like most things in Enterprise and on this forum, it wasn't God awful nor was it brilliant. It was somewhere in between. Granted, I don't think it was as effective as it could've been, but ... I think people got the point.

15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It always makes me wonder--do Vulcans leap from the womb and start running across the desert? Probably not and that just makes it even more cringe worthy.

16. Shatnertage

It's not really hate...for it at least, it's just puzzling. The speech just doesn't make a lot of sense.

The staging of it, with the dramatic pan around Archer, is what made it ridiculous, IMHO, more than the content. It's not that it's a bad speech--it's just that we're used to the epic statements from the captain at the climax of the episode, and we got something quite different. If they were trying to subvert the cliche, they get points for that, I guess. And it could have been worse--it could have been about how Archer knocked the baby gazelle on its ass.

But hey, I always get a kick out of Kirk reading the preamble to the Constitution, so I'm hardly the arbiter of good TV around here. :)

17. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

Look, it's a lot better when he's shirtless.

(which, coincidentally, is going to be the title of my autobiography- hitting stores and Amazon in November).

18. Shatnertage

^^Kirk reading the preamble, or Archer's gazelle speech? Or both?

19. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well I've said it before.. Kirk reading the preamble is the most cringing moment in all of Trek IMHO. Next to that the gazelle speech is almost pleasant. I would rather watch Threshold on repeat for a week than see Kirk reading the preamble again.

I don't actually mind the gazelle speech now because I am usually laughing myself off the couch listening to it. It's just so absurd.

Given the choice between Archer with no shirt and Kirk with no shirt I will take Kirk any day though.. ::adore::

20. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

That's what I love about you- no fighting over the hotties. :D