The most fun experience you had with nuTrek.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by MakeshiftPython, Nov 5, 2013.

1. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I have a feeling many will point to the films themselves as something they had the most fun with, but I had a very different experience so I'll just lay that out first.

It was seeing the first trailer with actual footage. I was in theaters for QUANTUM OF SOLACE and as usual I show up on time for the trailers. By that point, I had no idea what nuTrek would be like because it was so well hidden under wraps that I was completely unaware that a new trailer was gonna come out. So, the first thing in this new trailer is that a Justin Bieber lookalike is driving a car down a precipice. It looked like another dumb/nonsensical action film that I wasn't going to pay much attention to. Wait, what the heck is that RoboCop? Okay. "What is your name?" "My name is James Tiberius Kirk!' My fucking jaw dropped. Wow, that came out of nowhere, and so a bunch of new images start playing out with Kirk seeing the Enterprise. I'm seeing footage of the new Star Trek, and I had no idea it was gonna happen a few seconds ago.

It just hit me like a train out of hell. Everything about it looked new and exciting. I wasn't sure what to really think. On one hand, the trailer made it look like any other action summer spectacle, yet at the same time it's the brand new Star Trek. Most of the time I'll catch trailers or at least read about upcoming ones online. That's pretty much how that works these days, where you see a trailer online before anywhere else. So this was a very nice surprise for me, almost makes me wish I wouldn't be so compulsive over seeing a movie trailer and just wait to see it in theaters. A recent example is the Captain America 2 trailer. Kinda wish I had just waited to see that on the screening for THOR 2. It wouldn't have been too long, and it would have been pretty exciting to see that unravel on the big screen. Today is pretty different from 1998 where everyone showed up at a screening of a film nobody cared to stay around for just so they could see THE PHANTOM MENACE, now you can just catch that online unless the studio intentionally waits until the weekend is over.

So that's the most fun and excitement I ever had with these films. I look back fondly to that moment, even though I may not care much for the actual films. Maybe when Trek XIII's trailer is released I'll just wait to see in theaters, assuming there's a good film out there at that time.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I confess I bought a ticket to MEGAFORCE just to see the trailer for RETURN OF THE JEDI.

Then we left before the movie started . . ..

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I stayed spoiler free, including trailers, and didn't pay much attention to NuTrek. I went into the first movie thinking it would hopefully be better than Nemesis, fun at least to see how a reboot went.

By the time the words STAR TREK appeared on the screen in those metal, turning letters I was in deep shock and awe at how amazing this movie was. I had already cried! (when George Kirk died). It is now one of my two most powerful movie experiences, the other being seeing ANH in the cinema.

4. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

The pre-title sequences are actually my favorite parts of both movies. I especially wish STID had been more like its pre-title sequence where it felt like a new adventure rather than rehashing Khan and such.

5. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

HereĀ“s my most fun experience:

I have been trying to get my kids hooked to Trek for several years now without much success. My son (12) is more into Star Wars, and my daughter (14) has other interests by now. But this summer I took my son to see STID. He liked it. In fact he bought himself the soundtrack CD a while later and has been humming the Main Theme all the time for several weeks :)
    He still likes Star Wars better, but that was really great for me.

Mario

6. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Amazingly, this, word for word, describes how I feel. No kidding. Except, my eyes had just gotten wet. Slightly. Or, one of them, maybe.

Well, I can certainly include both the opening to STXI and all of Star Wars (1977) among my most powerful movie experiences. However, I think I'd have to add the opening segment of Saving Private Ryan among those. Also, Gimme Shelter made quite an impression on me, and maybe a few select others I can't think of right now. But, the opening to STXI is clearly in that sort of special league, as far as I'm concerned.

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it's in a special league because we never thought it would happen. Sure there might be a good Star Trek movie some day but rock your watched-Trek-for-decades world? Whoa.

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

My friends and I went to the midnight premiere of "Cloverfield" in Sydney, Australia, in the hope of seeing the first teaser trailer for ST 2009. We were rewarded. I heard of people who traveled to New Zealand to be "the first", but the trailer wasn't played. Neither did it play in Melbourne, according to a few friends who were there.

But the most fun was getting a phone call from Paramount Publicity, to be told that I had been recommended to receive a free double pass to the red-carpet world premiere of "Into Darkness" in Sydney.

[​IMG]
    Bridge projection by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    About to start! by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

9. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed some of the action set-pieces in the films. The space-jumping sequence in ST09 and its parallel sequence with Khan and Kirk in STiD were standouts, of themselves probably the best moments in the films for me. I also liked the Spock-Uhura romance in ST09, one of the film's best character beats (though I didn't care for its usage in STiD), and there were lots of little character touches from most of the cast throughout both films that I enjoyed, particularly from Kirk, Spock and Bones.

(In the spirit of talking about specific viewings, as everyone else seems to be doing: seeing STiD with my brother was pretty good. Although that had more to do with the company than the specific virtues of the film, we don't get to hang as often as we used to.)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Being at the first showing in my area of Star Trek 2009 with my wife. I called off of work to go see the 7pm show with her.

11. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

The most fun I had was seeing Star Trek Into Darkness with my parents, brother and sister. It was the first time in over 20 years that the five of us in my family saw a movie together. Usually it's just my brother and I (we live together so that makes it usually just us) and occasionally my Mom so it was nice for me to have us all there.

12. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Watching the 2009 movie on a wall sized HD TV with a friend letting them see it for the first time.

Or the Enterprise's epic opening title sequence to STID in full 3D.

13. Cara007

Cara007 Lieutenant

Watching ST09 with my siblings on TV in 2010. We all loved the film dearly. I believe I have seen the film more than 50 times or at least just left it playing on my DVD player on 50 different occasions.

I was slightly disappointed in STID.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

All of it, except for the 2 seconds before Spock shouted "KHAAAAAAN!" and about 20 seconds afterwards. The rest has been Trek heaven.

15. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Watching it at home with my oldest daughter (14) and having her ask me questions about the characters all through it. A new fan created because of STID.

16. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Having the same people who called me 'geeky' for being a fan ALL THESE YEARS now say they LOVE STID.

17. ChowdaHead

ChowdaHead Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I most enjoy seeing so many new people fall in love with trek. these new films have given people the urge to dive into a VERY wonderful rich history.

18. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had somewhat the same experience with STIX. I went with two very fashionable, very handsome, very professional (and fairly intimidating) friends -- the last people I would think would have any real knowledge of Trek. They invited me because I'm perhaps one of the more renowned Trekkies in our group of friends.

But throughout the movie, the little nods here and there ("Ambassador" Spock, the throwback-styled sound effects, even Archer's beagle!) kept signalling things off. They laughed with nostalgia. They sat up in their chairs. Them trying to mutter under their breaths, "I remember that!" Essentially, the last two people in the world, whom I would have pegged as Trekkies gradually revealed themselves, and to me it was an important lesson to not judge a book by its cover.

After the movie, we went out for dinner and hung out some more, but even *I* was starting to tire from talking about the movie and all its references to pre-Abrams Trek. But who was I to stop them from having their fun? :)

19. NeedleOfInquiry

NeedleOfInquiry Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Quoted for truth. This was me in the theater:

*Kirk dies*

Me: Is Spock going to shout "Khan?"

*Spock and Uhurah looking sad*

Me: No, they don't have the balls to make Spock say that line. Ah well, it's for the best. Spock would never react like that.

*Music picks up*

Me: Wait... It can't be...

*Spocks angry face*

Me: Is he going t-

Spock: KHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cardie::alienblush:

20. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I've only seen 2009, and not until last year. The only part I found intriguing was trying to figure out how they did the moving camera beam down on Spock arriving on a crumbling Vulcan. Still not sure how they did it, unless there was a cgi stand-in for some of it. And Quinto's interpretation is an interesting take, though he seemed a bit overly emotional for adult Spock.The most fun was putting it back in the case.