What if they'd kept T'Rul?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by t_smitts, Oct 11, 2012.

1. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not sure why they dropped this character after "The Search". It makes perfect sense that the Romulans wouldn't trust Starfleet to have a cloaking device unsupervised (especially so soon after the Pegasus incident)

Of the many recurring characters on TNG and DS9, they never really had a major recurring Romulan character. Sela and Tomalak were in four episodes each (if you count "The Mind's Eye" and "Future Imperfect"). Cretak was only in three and not even played by the same actor.

She was pretty unfriendly to being with, but might she have ended up bonding with the crew?

How would her presence have affected episodes like "Visionary" and "Way of the Warrior"? How would she and Worf (and perhaps eventually Martok) have been around each other?

Of course, Martha Hackett then probably wouldn't have played Seska.

What do you think? Would it have been interesting to keep her around or were they better off just disappearing her like so many sitcom kids?

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I think the show would have benefited from having a recurring Romulan hanging around, especially once the Dominion War got started. Maybe TPTB just didn't think they'd use T'Ruul much more beyond her monitoring the cloaking device on the Defiant, so they jettisoned her. But I think they could have gotten a lot of mileage out of her.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would have kept laughing at her having to turn sideways to fit through the Defiant's doors in those embarrasing shoulder pads.

That's what would have happened.

4. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Well when they changed the uniform, she'd have gotten a change of outfit as well :)

I really liked T'Rul. She would have been another good source of conflict for the rest of the crew, even if she'd been like Eddington and had a few appearances in the follow seasons, maybe given her a little arc. She would have helped developed the Romulans more, rather than just the sneaky, stealthy foes of the Federation.

I could just imagine that she and Quark would have been good in an episode together.

5. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I think if T'Rul had stayed--with an intent to make her a regular or reoccurring character--she might have eventually established friendships among the DS9/Defiant crew and learned to view the Federation in a different light. In time, she might even have been forced to make a decision to stay with them or return home to Romulus. If she stayed, she may have been forced to resign from the Romulan navy--which might have branded her a traitor among her fellow Romulans and garnered suspicions that she's secretly a spy by some of her new Federation crewmates.

6. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, if not T'Rul, then at least some Romulan.

We've seen almost every alien race explored thru the presence of a main or continuing character. We've gotten substantial portrayals of Klingons, Ferengi, Vorta, Vulcans, Betazoids, Denobulans, even Andorians.

But as one of the major races in ST, Romulans have really been stiffed. And not even once, but again and again and again. They just never get a good shot, which sucks for me because Romulans were always very interesting to me.

Also Tellarites, but that's a whole other thing...

7. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think that the writers making T'rul such a bitch really limited her usefulness and resulted in her getting canned. If they had written her a little more subtly, she may have been a good recurring character.

8. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Prefer Seska to T'Rul. And didn't miss a Romulan equivalent of Worf or Martok. But I'd have liked more of Megan Cole's Creetak. She did sour-sweet really well.

9. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think I'd want her to be a long term recurring character given the already crowded cast, which only got crowded-er. She could have had an interesting arc up to "The Die is Cast", but after that I think the show would be best served by moving her on and no longer having to have constant Romulan supervision.

At the very least it would have been nice if there was some explanation as to what happened to her and why the Romulans didn't care about monitoring their cloak.

10. SAndrews10

SAndrews10 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I had heard Martha Hackett had a choice, she could recur on DS9 as T'Rul or recur on Voyager as Seska and since everyone was Voyager crazy at that point at the studios and there was so much buzz about Voyager and the launching of UPN she chose Voyager and the DS9 character was dropped.

11. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed. This made no sense. Every time the defiant use their cloak, It reminds me of this and I think "Why are the romulans cool with them having a cloak unsupervised again?.. oh yeah, no explanation."

It just seems weird that they wouldn't want to keep it supervised. With the cloak in starfleet's posession they could easily just dissect the thing and figure out new weaknesses in it, and how to exploit those weaknesses to gain an advantage on the romulans. I end up rationalizing it in my head as "The romulans gave them a shitty 20 year old out of date model of their cloak, so they dont care" but i don't even really buy that.

12. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Seriously? That makes no sense, why would they make her choose, she could have played both characters.

13. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I could see it being impractical to have one actor playing recurring characters on two series that were shooting simultaneously.

14. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

Starfleet developed a cloak that can pass through walls/asteroids/whatever. Merely becoming invisible is soooo 23rd century :rommie:

I think the advisor wasn't to keep an eye on the cloak itself, but on the application of it - basically to keep Starfleet honest that it was really only using it in the Gamma Quadrant - the Romulans sure wouldn't stick with such an agreement without strict supervision. Still doesn't explain why she disappeared without explanation, though.

15. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I go with that T'Rul's debriefing by her superiors would have gone a long way towards the plan to destroy the wormhole. Why risk someone with a high level of technical skill on DS9 when it is on the "make explode" list of things to do? Plus once the wormhole was gone they can recall the cloaking device and the Federation is more than likely to comply with that. In the end they got found out and the Federation and maybe the Feds used that leverage to keep the Romulans at arms length from their cloaking device.

The type of cloaking device on the Defiant might be compromised enough to limit the Defiant's danger to the Star Empire. As we saw in "Defiant" Sisko had info on the antiproton beam the Jem'Hadar used in "The Search" and gave it to the Cardassians, so it would be reasonable to assume the Romulans also have that data, which they might have decided is enough to prevent the Defiant from being a serious risk to them.

16. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

With or without the anti-proton beam, I don't think the concern about the Federation using ONE cloaking device against them. Their real concern would be Starfleet engineers studying and possibly reverse engineering it.

I'm pretty sure Martha Hackett had no say in the matter.

17. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I would have to agree. Why would any actor turn down a stable job like that? Yes, they're heavy make-up, but it was two recurring roles on two Trek shows, at the same time.

18. SAndrews10

SAndrews10 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Both sides wanted Martha on their show, they couldn't decide amongst themselves as adults and sharing wasn't an option so she was given the choice of which show to be on. Idk why they didn't just recast the other role/and/or why the character was dropped. Who knows that's just the rumor/story I've heard from several people over the years.

19. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd like a source for this.

20. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

indeed, it seems like an oversight for the writers not to address what would seem to be a huge tactical/security concern for the romulans.