Questions on Insurrection, on the Baku

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by WesleysDisciple, Mar 8, 2013.

1. WesleysDisciple

WesleysDisciple Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Curious something I just noticed.

Think if Data HAD NOT been damaged in the beginining of the movie he'd have done thing significantly differently once he'd discovered the holo ship

I think he'd have still used violence to compromise the mission once he figured out what it was.

2. WesleysDisciple

WesleysDisciple Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

OH Just thought of this

On this "Its for the greater good.

Their was SOMEONE who wanted to dismantle Data, in order to understand how to make more androids.

This kind of technological revolution would vastly improve billions of lives.

And Data's Sentience, especialy in early TNG, is ... Questionable

He cant even use verbal contractions.

How DIFFICULT IS IT WHEN PROGRAMMING A FRICKIN AI, to make them use bits of extra grammar?

Seriously...

but point is, ive yet to hear a single voice, suggesting Maddox was anyhting but 100% in the wrong, and Data 125% in the right for opposing this.

Even thought it would have allowed The creation of away teams, that wouldnt have put any Humanoid lives at risk.

And yes shelby said to the "Does data have a soul" question "I dont know, I dont know that I have one"

But add the fact these "Made for a purpose" androids would have no family, and likely no friends, and you have a compelling reason to use them instead of People with those who would miss them on combative away missions.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Data's a toaster.

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Data is not the property of Starfleet.

Holograms created by Starfleet on the other hand...

I still can't believe VOY went there.

5. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

agreed, "hologram rights" was one of the stupider later-season VOY plots.

6. Jerikka Dawn

Jerikka Dawn Captain Captain

Don't forget the coming Mark 1 EMH Insurrection brewing in the mines.

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The entire concept of the EMH in Voyager was wrong to begin with. He was run by the ship's computer, and instantly had an attitude and emotions and a desire to enhance his programming. Eventually he even fell in love.

First of all: why the hell would Starfleet allow such a program to run on ships? A medical emergency program would be very limited to the actual purpose, and nothing else. The idea that he has a terrible bedside manner alone is incredibly stupid.

Second: why the fuck is he more sophisticated than Data? The doctor understood the concept of humor, had emotions, felt love, never had any trouble with fucking contractions. Data would feel pretty damn old by now.

8. sonak

I mostly agree with your points, except the "terrible bedside manner," because first it was done from an outside-the-show perspective because he was funny, and second because it was based off of Zimmerman.

There was a way around the EMH plausibility thing-have B'elanna or someone on the ship greatly enhance or reprogram him early in the show out of necessity because of the long voyage. Otherwise, believing that what is basically a supplemental computer program could become as advanced as he did just by being "on" for a long time is just stupid.

If you play your Xbox games for long periods the characters don't become more developed and self-aware.

9. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Video game characters also don't have advanced AI, nor are they asked to respond to emergency situations with often creative solutions. They typically can't do more than run toward the sound of gunfire.

10. sonak

yes, but there's no reason why an emergency supplemental program confined to sickbay and run through the main computer would have advanced AI either. Most likely, the program was never meant to run for longer than a few hours.

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I doubt many of the real doctors on starships even bothered with the EMH programs and instead treated them with distaste. They are called emergency for a reason. The attitudes programed into them really didn't help.

Also the holographic rights thing was something I'd rather not think about, since they were being used as sex toys over at DS9.

12. sonak

yeah, and DS9 was guilty of it too, with the "Vic Fontaine, super-advanced hologram" nonsense.

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I hate how they made the Baku a bunch of pretty white people. At least mix it up a little!

14. sonak

they got pretty lazy with the look of the Baku.