X-MEN: Days Of Future Past (Casting, Rumors, Pics till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Except for where it doesn't fit, such as the thing about Magneto helping Xavier build Cerebro.

3. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course it's not going to have perfect continuity with Singer's movies. It's called creative license. They were trying to make the best film they could possibly make, and they didn't want to be a complete stickler to continuity. I get that.

Besides that, Magneto could still help Xavier build Cerebro. Hank might have designed Cerebro for the CIA, but at the end of First Class, Xavier hasn't even opened up the school yet. In the comics, Xavier and Magneto's relationship was always rocky. They would go from being friends to enemies and then back again. At one point, Magneto was actually leading the X-Men, which I think would be an interesting topic to explore in a sequel.

So, ostensibly, Magneto could still help Xavier build Cerebro underneath Xavier's mansion. It's still feasible.

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^Yeah, I don't think it's any more problematic than many references in other prequels.

Like Obi-Wan referring Yoda as 'The Jedi Master who trained me' not tallying with the Star Wars prequels. Or TNG's reference to a 'disastrous first contact' with the Klingons as oppose to the events of Broken Bow (and as I understand, the writer of that line, Dennis, has said he doesn't think it's a continuity problem).

5. Admiral_Young

One could even say it is a vague prequel if they wanted to ;) (long timers will recognize my use of that phrase :) )

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

The truth is most continuity is vague by its very nature. Its fiction. Authors often contradict their own work. Leaving things vague allow them to adjust and expand their ideas. Its art not history. Hell our perceptions of history is contradictory and changing.

Its hilarious that fans expect clear and rigid continuity in adaptations of Superhero comic books. The actual source material has sloppy, always changing continuity.

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

This.

8. JacksonArcher

Exactly. :techman:

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I don't think the end of FC would totally rule out their working together again if a big enough threat came about. It set up their differing ideologies, and who their followers would be, but they weren't trying to kill each other or anything. I think Eric's reaction when Charles was shot made it pretty clear he still cared.

10. Set Harth

If they had included Erik helping Xavier build Cerebro in the film, how would that have necessarily made it a worse film? The best film they could possibly make and continuity are not mutually exclusive.

11. Admiral_Young

I just rewatched "X-Men" the other day and despite the obvious continuity glares "X-Men: First Class" still very much fits in with the universe Singer designed and helped create. There are some things changed and perhaps even forgotten, but nothing that drastically says the two films can't coexist together. It's kind of like a retconned comic in a way, which we know happens all the time.

12. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

13. Admiral_Young

Which makes sense since the leather suits were for the "X-Men" which haven't been established yet. I still think we'll probably get costumes similar in design to "First Class" but a little tweaked. Who knows though what the characters from the future (if we in fact see them) will be wearing.

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I think the best choice in the future is just civilian clothes. After all, they want to do their best to blend in. I assume you'll have to show the future, although how much remains uncertain.

15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Depends what version of the future they'll be using. It could be a '1984' style dystopia dominated by Sentinel & Master Mold in which case the outfits are liable to be of the prison camp fatigues/freedom fighter persuasion. If it's more along the lines of the "Age of Apocalypse" storyline then it'll be more akin to 'Mad Max 2'. Then again it could just be a "normal" future and not require any special costume designs.

16. Admiral_Young

17. JacksonArcher

Maybe they wanted to save that aspect for a sequel? Who knows.

We're not the creatives behind this process. At the end of First Class, the characters were (re)introduced, the relationships established, and the stage set. Xavier's school hadn't even been opened yet.

After all, there is still something like 30 years before we get to the events of Singer's first X-Men movie (if that- remember the title card said "The not too distant future", so it could even be more than 30 years), so a lot can happen from now until then. Why hinder future stories when you can save certain elements for other installments?

18. Admiral_Young

Also the biggest thing we have to keep in consideration here...is that we only know they're adapting "Days of Future Past", we don't now the how yet.

Obviously they're most likely not going to do a straight up adaptation considering the state of the timeline and universe right now. I suspect the first movie will jump start or "seed" events that lead into the conditions that create the "Days of Future Past" future at some point in later films.

I could be wrong, just speculating after all...but one of the reasons why I didn't really believe the story at first was because of where we are in the timeline. The actual comic story happens when the X-Men are already established. We just started to see the start of that with "First Class". So there are a ton of interesting things that Singer and company are going to have to do. It should be a fun ride to see what they come up with :)

19. Set Harth

In other words, it isn't the right point in the chronology for DOFP, but they're going to do it anyway, because of the popularity of DOFP.

20. JacksonArcher

Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen are officially coming back! :D