If you're a devoted X-Box player,why is it better for you than PS3 ?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Neon, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Neon

Neon Cadet Newbie

If you're a devoted X-Box console game player and always have been, why for you has it always been than having and using a PS3 console, not unless you own both.

2. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: If you're a devoted X-Box player,why is it better for you than PS3

I'm not an Xbox fanboy or anything, but the 360 is my sole game console this generation.

Why did I buy it? Because the PS3 was a mess at launch. The PS2 was my sole console during the previous generation and I had assumed I'd be purchasing a PS3 when the time came, but the PS3 was really expensive and just didn't appear to be worth the money at the time. When it finally launched here in Ireland it was four months late, lacked backwards compatibility, and was an obscene €630. Yes, it had a blu-ray player in it, but that wasn't much of a selling point considering all I had at the time was an SDTV. By trading in my old PS2 and a few games, I managed to get a 20GB 360 for €200 in early 2007.

Early on in the 360's life, it had a lot of great exclusives like Saints Row, Crackdown, Viva Piñata, and Mass Effect, and MS money-hatted a number of timed-exclusives as well, such as the GTA4 episodes. I never felt the need to purchase a PS3 because most games I was interested in were multi-platform, and the few Playstation exclusives that did interest me couldn't justify the price of a second console. On top of the great games, I found the controller to be the most comfortable I've ever used.

Around 2010, MS seemed to become complacent and shifted development to focus on the upcoming Kinect, so the core game exclusives dried up. They added services like Netflix and Youtube but put them behind their paywall, which was a douche move. They redesigned the dashboard twice, both times making it slower and increasing ad-space. I still like the console and don't regret buying it, but I do think that PS3 users have had a better experience during the second half of this console generation (not counting the hacking incident).

I completely oppose the DRM that Microsoft is introducing with the Xbox One, but that's only part of the reason why I'm tentatively planning to purchase a PS4 next gen. The truth is that I became somewhat disillusioned with Microsoft over the last few years. At the risk of sounding naive, they don't make me feel valued as a customer, I feel like I'm just a revenue stream to them. I think a lot of people felt the same way I did over the last few years and that this anger towards the Xbox One has deeper roots than Microsoft realises.

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well I've had the Xbox and the 360. Didn't purchase the PS2 or 3. And it simply came down to the games I wanted where Xbox only games or availble on the Xbox for multi-platform games.

4. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Not an XBox fanboy (especially after hearing about the X1), but I particularly despise all things Sony, for many reasons I've explained before in other threads that have ticked many people off (mostly Sony apologists). Sony fell on some difficult times last year with the whole credit card hacking scandal and their study in ineptitude in dealing with said scandal. Wasn't surprised in the least. But this X1 thing with MS is much, much worse. One can partially forgive incompetence, as it is rarely intentional. You can't cure stupid and one has to sometimes overlook such things. MS, however, planned all these new "features" from the ground-up in the X1's development, fully complicit in the architecture that has resulted in today's consumer furor. Damage through comission is always worse than damage through omission. MS knew exactly what it was getting into when they were building Orwell's wet dream. I'm sure there were probably quite a few MS employees that were concerned about many of these things and a handful may have possibly given voice to their concern. MS ignored them, thinking as corporations often do, "the lemmings will buy anything we give them if we wrap it in a kewl shiny new case". Like Sony last year, they must now answer to their hubris, and I hope they take it up the ass for it.

5. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

Actually I think the world Orwell described in 1984 scared terrified him, so Orwells nightmare might be more adequate. Anyway, I was definitely a 360 Fanboy over Sony, I just liked the Microsoft exclusives way better. and I was one of the Windows 8 defenders as well. but what Microsoft has done here is too much, part of me hopes that they get rid of the current CEO and start to refocus on the customer. Instead of viewing the customer as an obstacle to whatever screwed vision the higher ups have for the next decade or so. I may be checking out the ps4 this time around, but more than likely I will be getting a steambox.

6. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I actually prefer the PS3, but I definitely understand the 360 love. The controller for the 360 is sturdier and more ergonomically designed. The Dual Shock 3 feels kind of like a cheap toy next to it. The XBL environment is more robust than the PSN and in the US, most gamers are on 360. So when you want to game with your friends, you do it on 360.

I, however, prefer the exclusives on PS3 like Uncharted, Journey and The Last of Us.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It's funny you say that, because one of the main reasons I don't have an XBOX is because I can't stand the controller. I much prefer the PS3 controller.

8. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, same here. I have small hands and the PS3 controller feels better.

9. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

TheGodBen's post sums up my position as well. At the time, the 360 had more exclusives that were of more interest to me, and although the PS3 had some exclusives that I would have liked, it wasn't enough to justify the buying a whole second console when their game libraries were 90% identical.

I also like the Xbox controller better. Not entirely sure why, but it feels intuitive where the Playstation controller feels awkward.

All other things being equal, I'd have rather stuck with the Xbox, but I won't support their Big Brother nonsense.

10. TheGodBen

To clarify things a bit, while hackers may have gained access to credit card info stored on Sony's servers, it was all encrypted and there's no evidence that the hackers managed to steal any CC info. There were rumours flying around at the time that the CC info was stored in plaintext, but those rumours were false. The hackers got access to names, addresses, and email addresses, which is bad but not nearly as bad as some made the incident out to be. That being said, I agree that there was incompetence at play in the slowness with which they disclosed information to the public, and the fact that it took them three weeks to get PSN back up an running.

Oh, and the hacking incident occurred two years ago.

Well I have long fingers, so the Dualshock controllers cause my hands to cramp after an hour or so of play. The convex analogue sticks also cause my thumbs to slip, something the concave sticks on the Xbox controllers addressed. There was a similar problem with the triggers on the DS3.

Thankfully, Sony appears to have fixed all of those with the DS4. The big difference now is that the DS4 doesn't have asynchronous analogue sticks, which will take some getting used to again if I get a PS4. The touchpad seems like a nice addition though, especially if it's used for web browsing.

11. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

From the videos they showed it will be used to exactly that way on the social network, so I assume browsing too. Also read that the touchpad is clickable.

12. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

That's understandable. I've heard others say the same thing. Did you know there have been companies making XBox-style controllers for the PS3? My only concern now will be that the DS4 will be less comfortable to me, but I guess I'll only know when I try them.

13. AlphaMan

I listen to a podcast called Weekend Confirmed and the host there all say that they got a chance to hold the DS4 at E3 and they actually like the feel of the DS4 compared to the XB1 controller. I thought that was interesting, but I'll need to hold it myself to be sure.

14. Magellan

Magellan Commander Red Shirt

I have both but until the XB1 fiasco bought almost all of my games on the 360

Reasons
    1) It was out first. PS3 wasnt an option when I bought my HD TV
    2) Sony was a complacent company that deserved some humbling
    3) EVERY time I start my PS3 there is some stupid update that takes a really long time to install. 360 doesnt seem to have this problem
    4) XBL store is a lot easier to navigate then Sony's crummy online store
    5) Xbox 360 controller is a lot more comfortable for me. Liked the Saturn 3D pad, Like the DC controller and LOVED the Controller S.
    6) Games dont require an install
    7) I like Halo/Gears better than God of War/Killzone although all the best games are multi-plat

15. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

If you're a devoted PS3 console game player and always have been, why for you has it always been than having and using a X-Box console, not unless you own both.

but seriously,

they're just systems to play games on. and the games are the important bit. i don't get the weird loyalty these things seem to breed in some peoples :shrug:

16. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

I got a 360 because the games I wanted to play (Halo, Far Cry, and KOTOR) were Microsoft exclusives.

*Note: I realize you can play those on PC but I'm a console only person.

17. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

1. and 2. I'd give you. I didn't want to touch Sony at the time of launch for the second reason myself.
    3. not as much if you've got plus. It switches on and downloads updates at a set time each day now.
    4. since they updated the store and since MS changed to the new interface I'd say the opposite is true.
    5. I'd still agree with. I prefer the Xbox controller but I'm getting used to the PS one.
    6. Games don't require an install on the PS3 for the most part, there's only a few I've encountered that do. Though I install games on the Xbox anyway.
    7. Halo and Gears are alright, so is God of War, not a fan of Killzone, but Resistance is alright, inFamous is good, and Uncharted is great.

18. AlphaMan

Yeah... I like Gears and Halo is meh for me, but God of War, inFAMOUS, Resistance, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank with my kids... and now The Last of Us... I'd feel like crap if I only had an Xbox One when the next of these installments hit the streets.

19. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really like the Halo franchise, it's probably my favourite series so that's the main reason.

Also I don't love Sony so much since I blame them for killing Sega and rendering Nintendo into a joke, may sound childish, i'm just not overly keen to support them

20. TheGodBen

That does sound childish. Sega killed themselves with some really stupid decisions on the Saturn, and Nintendo stuck with cartridges in the CD age and burned their third party support. Sony just showed up with a decent product and marketed it well. (And don't forget that Sony entered the console business partly because Nintendo screwed them over on the SNES-CD.)