April Art Challenge - Flux Capacitor Entry #2

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Tiberius Jim, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This may end up being my only entry since I'm much happier with the outcome of this one than the first. I was inspired by the "ship falling out of the sky" concept seen in the Into Darkness trailers, as well as coming across my Lake Tahoe pictures from last fall.

The Beauty and the beast concept is depicted here by juxtaposing a beautiful, serene backdrop with the ugly horrors of interstellar war (in this case, the Dominion War) This peaceful, lush and beautiful M-class planet is becoming an innocent bystander to the cold, uncaring beast of war.

[​IMG]
    Click to bigify

As for the execution, I may need to sleep on it but I'm pretty sure things like lighting and shadows are correct. From my memory of the day, the sun was fairly high and would have been coming nearly straight down on the ships.

2. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

very nicely done!

3. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

4. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

That's a cool picture- depressing though. The galaxy's my favorite

What would make this ironic is how many fans (including those who post here) think the Galaxy Class is ugly judging from all of those favorite starship class (or fave Enterprise) poll threads that pops up every another month. :lol:

5. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

I thought the scenery looked familiar. Although I still personally think Crater Lake tops it as one of the most beautiful places on the planet.

Just a thought though, and feel free to totally ignore me, but this image is giving me the impression that the ship is pretty small. Where the shadow is at compared to the tree's and rocks, etc, that looks like one tiny Galaxy.

6. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

My thoughts, too. It's around 50 ft long, judging it based on the height of the trees on the shore. But it IS a beautiful picture!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  7. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

What if it showed the Stardrive section crashing somewhere in the distance, and the Saucer section about to perform a Troi Parking Maneuver?

I agree it's a nice image as it is, just some other thoughts Flux might be interested in.

8. Tiberius Jim

Yeah the scale was one of the things that stood out to me upon looking at it again after being away from it for a while. I could always say that hey, those are just some huge trees and rocks but I think I'll either make the ship slightly larger and/or move the shadow back to increase the visual distance of the ship. I was really happy with my shadow effect but if it helps the scaling to move it then that's what I'll do.

9. Tiberius Jim

I adjusted the scale a bit but in favor of composition, if it still seems a bit small...just imagine this is an alien world and those are some big ass trees and rocks. ;)

[​IMG]
    Click to enlarge

10. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Overall, I like the concept, and there are only two problems I have with your execution:
    1) I don't believe that the Jem'Hadar Attack Ships have weapons in their nacelles. The only weapons I know of are in or on top of their nose, which I believe is a polaron beam emitter (or a series of them; I'm not sure), and to my knowledge, a series of torpedo launchers. I don't believe they have pulse weapons; only directed energy beams and torpedoes, though if I'm wrong, I'd love to know.
    2) The registry that is clearly visible, NCC-71832, belonged to the Odyssey, yes? If I remember correctly, she was engaged in, and destroyed in space.

Okay, now that I have gotten the problems out of the way, I should end my comments on a good note: as a stickler for details, I love how you have additional Jem'Hedar starships visibly hanging in low orbit.:biggrin:

11. Tiberius Jim

Yeah, you're right the fighter has a pulse weapon but it does come from the nose area. Easy fix.

And yes, the ship is the Odyssey...just pretend she makes it out of this skirmish somehow...? ;)

12. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, wouldn't that be nice?:rolleyes: The Odyssey was a nice name, carried by a nice ship (though the current ship to carry the name is nice herself).

I guess if changing the name and registry is not feasible...

Okay, so I'll honestly take the scene less seriously now, but that is just how I am.:shrug: