Question about "Ender's Game" book series(s)(?) (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Sgt. Sacrament, Jan 5, 2013.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Re: Question about "Ender's Game" book series(s)(?) (NO SPOILERS PLEAS

I've never really bothered to learn more about OSC as a person. From random things I've read on here, he seems like a dick. But I'm not reading his books for him; I'm reading them for the stories, so as long as he's not some evil Nazi monster, I have no problem buying his books.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

To be honest, up until this thread, I knew nothing about Card himself. In fact, I only read Ender's Game about a month ago primarily because I had time to kill and I noticed it laying around the house. And while it was an okay book and I do plan on checking out the movie, I'm not sure if I'll continue reading the series. The book was okay, but not enthralling.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, Ender's Game is now often found in the "young adult" section of book stores. I read it when I was 14 and thought it was pretty much the best book I'd ever read. I have no idea how well it would stack up now. However, bizarrely enough, it is now a book they teach in high school English classes.

4. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

It's a good one, but definitely more 'young adult' than the rest (although a tad violent for that grouping). Speaker is definitely a more 'adult' continuation

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

This was exactly why it surprised me the first time I saw it in the Young Adult section with new cartoony cover art. I read it when I was 14, and I wasn't scarred for life or anything, so I guess it works. It just seemed odd.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interestingly enough, my local book store claims Speaker for the Dead is appropriate for readers aged 13-17.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Perhaps I've just gotten so used to kids being stupid these days that I forget that they actually have the capacity to handle more mature content. :lol:

8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, when I started The Wicked Series, I went to Gregory MacGuire's official board, and was shocked to see how many kids were 8-12 when they started the series. 12 years old, I think is fine for a parent to allow their child, who they know can handle it, but, no matter how mature my child was for his/her age, I don't think I would allow reading the Series before age 12. For a more general age, I'd say not appropriate for under 14, without Parental permission

9. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Not that I don't think they can handle it, just seemed that Ender's Game was pretty adult for a teen book. At least at the time. Now that The Hunger Games is touching similar topics, I guess Ender beating kids to death isn't as stand-out. Then again, Lord of the Flies handled it just fine, so maybe not so new a thing...

Speaker, while perfectly capable as a teen book, just felt more adult. The characters are now adults, adultry is a big part of what went on to set it up, the whole book's struggle felt more grown up. I read the whole series for the first time in the 5th or 6th grade, so it works fine, just my impression I guess. Nothing that FORCES an adult reading level, just better understood as an adult (or just not teenager) level I feel.

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I read The Martian Chronicles and The Silmarillion before I was eight. I read Huck Finn when I was eight; I remember that my mom had to give permission for me to check out Huck Finn from the library. Kids can handle a lot more than people realize.