Why I like Enterprise so much

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Rennick, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Rennick

Rennick Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Also -- keeping with the feeling of claustrophobia, Enterprise felt more like a submarine than any other starship, especially with the design of the corridor, as well as the general interior.

2. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

The NX-01 really is a great ship, and I personally love the overall design and think it fits perfectly within the 22nd Century timeframe and aesthetic. I also like that it has a smaller 'feel' to it because, like everyone else, I think it makes things feel more 'real'.

3. Rennick

Rennick Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm also a fan of their uniforms, which to me reflect the exploratory nature of their space mission. They are somewhat reminiscent of astronaut jumpsuits.

4. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

The NX-01 bridge was, IMO, the best designed. It felt like a functional workspace. From the outside, the ship was on the ugly side. However, it was entirely appropriate for what it was supposed to be: more like a USS Monitor than a USS Nimitz.

5. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

I don't know what you're watching, but we're currently in a Golden Age of Television and have been for some time now starting with The West Wing and the Sopranos in the late 90s. In fact, that's one of my main problems with Enterprise and Voyager. They're telling stories the same way Trek had done since 1987 while sharing the airwaves with some amazing and forward thinking television.

Enterprise got there in Season 3, but that's too little too late. With all of the great shows out there hitting the ground running from Episode One, the Trek Model where they use the first two seasons to find their footing just doesn't work. If Trek ever comes back to the small screen, they need to find away to be captivating from the first shot.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes a huge slab of stuff from our current Golden Age of Television is better than ENT. And better than every single Star Trek series.

But it's not Star Trek. It's like getting asked to agree that your favorite dog is, really you have to admit, not as good as the newly released DOG 2.0.

7. Alienesse

Alienesse Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The interior feel of the ship is also one of the reasons why I love ENT, for the reasons already stated.

And what's true about the ship is also true about the crew. People are rougher around the edges, they have insecurities and flaws, they're both excited and afraid of what their mission involves. I really liked the notion that this really is the first crew to go on a long-term deep space mission. Of course there are going to be mistakes and bad decisions, but that is only true to life.

8. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am a Season 3 & 4 ENTERPRISE fan, personally. The icing on the cake for me, though, was that they finally got the Vulcan make-up to look right on Jolene Blalock. It was very hard to look at her with that nappy wig they'd throw on TNG's Vulcan guest stars, for so long - and take her seriously, in it. It always seemed like the show never took her seriously, always asking her to take her top off and not really developing T'Pol as fully as she deserved. But no matter ... outside of a couple real stinkers, I think the third & fourth seasons of ENT are great STAR TREK in its finest tradition. It's most enjoyable.

9. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

Totally agree about the "T'Pol look" in season 3. They got it spot on I thought and while the colorful catsuits were nice, it was the hair that set her off for me. (as if I needed something more to set me off :))

I did a "stinker comparison" one time comparing ENT to the other series. I found that it had less that the others in the 1st 4 years of their run. Some of the others had more higher ranking episodes, but more stinkers as well.

But I'm a fan of the entire series, I'm sure others' results will vary.

10. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

I've always wondered what the thinking was with T'Pols look in the first two seasons. You take your "sexy" character and put her in a horrible rug of a wig and the ugliest catsuit ever made?

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

VELOUR! That was the word i was looking for. In some other thread. About the catsuits. The godawful velour ones should have been turned into Porthos rugs.

12. 2takesfrakes

I am no authority on this, but my guess is Jolene may have had other commitments at the time, not allowing her to cut her hair or shave her brows. What those might've been, again, I don't know. Modelling, probably. Or maybe it was social, in origin? A reluctance on her part to "suffer" for her "art." I can relate to her not wanting to go around in public with tufts of eyebrow and a bob cut, when her hair was so fantastic. Kirstie Alley had certainly gotten away with using her own eyebrows in TWOK. And yes, Jolene is hot, but she shouldn't be required to pull off every look and make it look completely natural on her. The show let her down - and us - trotting her out that way. But, again, what can you do? We get what the studio gives us - take it, or leave it, almost.

13. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

Its not her wearing a wig that's the problem, its that the wig they gave her was terrible. She wore a wig in seasons 3&4 too but it was a much better wig.

14. Yanks

Well, let's take a closer look at this (because we can :lol:)

I chose 2 episodes and found pics with roughly the same profile.

The first Fallen Hero (S1):
    [​IMG]

The second from Similitude (S3):
    [​IMG]

Wow, maybe I was not correct? Is it a different wig?

IS the big change that sets her off the eye brows?

15. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

^It looks different to me: the first seems to sit high, giving T'Pol an oddly shaped head.

16. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Poofier hair, bigger tribble.

17. 2takesfrakes

If you watch THE FORGE (4th Season Episode), Jolene and Scott are out in the elements and her hair is being blown around enough to see that it's not a wig at all. It's her natural hair! That and the fact that she got the eyebrows applied competently, make her look like a very naturalistic Vulcan. Unfortunately, Michael Westmore couldn't do much about making her fake boobs look more realistic ...

18. Yanks

Somethin wrong with enhancements?

19. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

According to cast comments in the featurettes for the series, nobody liked the first wig, describing it like a bathing cap.

20. Yanks

:) I would agree.