Love, hate and the AMT Enterprise model

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by jayrath, Nov 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I built a number of the AMT kits back in the '70s, but my first one I got for Christmas in 1970 is the one I recall the most fondly. That said it was a sloppily designed kit for what it needed to be. Still, it transported me to the farthest reaches of imagination. What I remember most was how I felt about it all back then---pure joy.

Today I recognize it as a disappointing kit as seen through an adult's eyes. Although I can recall how I felt so long ago I just can't put myself back into that youthful perspective. When Polar Lights released their (albeit small) 1/1000 kit of the original Enterprise it was a huge leap forward in terms of accuracy, kit design and build quality (ease of build). Although small it is such a superior model to the AMT kit.

And now I've just received a Premiere Edition of the new 1/350 scale Enterprise kit from Round2, forty-two years after my first AMT kit and less than a month before Christmas. There is practically no commonality between this and the old AMT kit...

...except that opening the box reawakened a feeling I haven't felt in forty years. :)

2. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the basic mold of the AMT kit was close enough that a careful custom job can make a near-exact replica of either TOS miniature. I've seen some wonderful customs over the years, but if someone does not want to mount that kind of project, he could build it to be a perfect "catalog" model--like the box photo.

At least in that way, it does not have to be screen accurate, but its the best version of AMT's work.

3. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We're all talking at cross purposes. When I recently bought a vintage light-up AMT model and built it, my intent was to recreate the imperfect "toy" Enterprise of my childhood. I was completely successful, and it remains "my" Enterprise.

Is it screen-accurate? Nope. (But it was at least personally vetted by Jeffries, and in many ways compares well to the TOS three-footer.) But the point is that it was my first tangible TOS artifact when I was nine, and it is again. And it looks absolutely glorious with the dome lights on.

4. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Blah, blah, blah... :devil: I WANT PICTURES!!:techman:

I haven't seen one of the light up kits in almost 40 years. Please, please post pics...

5. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:) I want to and will. First I have to figure out how to post photos here!

6. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

OH the amount of resin accurizing parts that have been made for that thing over the years! :lol:

7. Son of Quark

Son of Quark Lieutenant Red Shirt

Never built the Enterprise as a kid in the 70's, thogh I did build the K-7 Space Station. I thought it was coolest thing.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, yeah, I had the K-7 model too. Somehow I lost all of it except one arm/module.

9. Son of Quark

Son of Quark Lieutenant Red Shirt

Man, I remember the arms/modules breaking off and me having to re-glue back on...

10. TREK_GOD_1

Funny thing about the K-7 was the scale of the miniature Enterprise included with the kit. It was woefully out of scale, so it appears AMT simply looked at a clip of the 1701 in the background of the K-7 exterior, and assumed it was that small.

11. Christopher

Do we really know how the scales compare?

12. TREK_GOD_1

I think several ancillary sources have given specs on the size of K-7 compared to a Constitution class vessel. I will try to dig that up, but i'm almost certain the 1701 was not as small as the model included in the K-7 kit. That would make the K-7 as massive as the Death Star (in relation to a Star Destroyer), when the only TOS vehicles known to be that large were Balok's ship and the "planet killer" from "The Doomsday Machine."

13. Navigator_NCC2120

Navigator_NCC2120 Captain Captain

Okay, thanks guys.

Just out of curiosity, are the 2 AA batteries arranged side by side or are they arranged front to back, like 2 batteries inside a cylinder shaped flashlight, in the lower half of the secondary hull of the Enterprise model kit? The reason I ask is because I have memory of 2 "C" or "D" size batteries being arranged front to back (like in a flashlight) in the lower half of the secondary hull of the Enterprise model kit for some strange reason.

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
    /\

14. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They were double A's and they were put in sequentially (as in a flashlight). The closest thing to a scale match for the K-7 was the Ent from the 3 piece TOS set with the Ent, D-7, and ROM BOP. (Personally, I display mine with both Ent and D-7 Jonny Lightning ships.)

15. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If Space Station K-7 was as big as the Death Star. Just think of all of the tribbles it could hold.

16. Christopher

Hmm, let's get a baseline. Assume an average tribble is a sphere with a radius of 5 cm, therefore a volume of 0.00052 m^3. The most efficient packing of spheres takes up 74% of available volume, so let's multiply that by 4/3 and call it 0.0007 m^3. So 1,771,561 tribbles -- three days' worth of reproduction -- would take up a volume of only 1236.8 cubic meters, equivalent to a cube 10.73 meters on a side -- or maybe about half the residential volume of the 15-unit apartment block where I live. Even a small K-7 could hold a lot more tribbles than that.

So how big is the Death Star? Estimates of the first one's diameter range from 120 to 140 km, which makes for a lot of variation in the volume estimates. But taking a roughly midrange value, the volume would be somewhere around 10^15 m^3. Therefore it could hold around 1.4 x 10^18 or 1.4 quintillion tribbles. (That's 1.4 billion billion.) Of course, realistically the tribbles would run out of food and starve to death long before they reached that number.

17. TREK_GOD_1

According to www.ex-astris-scientia.org, the K-7 is 450m and the Constitution Class ships are 289m. This confirms how out of scale the K-7 kit's 1701 was. It makes me wonder if AMT was hoping for a literal recreation of the scene as one would see it in "The Trouble with Tribbles," where the 1701 seems that small in the background.

The 6-inch long Enterprise as part of AMT's mid-70's Space Ship Set would have been a better scale fit for the K-7. I wonder of anyone ever tried to match the kits back in the day.

18. Christopher

Based on what evidence? I said "know," not "conjecture."

EDIT: Okay, I tracked it down myself, and it says, "The diameter of 450m is based on a very rough comparison with the USS Enterprise and the small shuttle model in the shuttlebay of Greg Jein's reconstruction of K-7 for DS9: 'Trials and Tribble-ations'." So it's only approximate, although I guess it does get you within the ballpark.

19. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Anybody wanna count widows and estimate number of decks?

Me neither.

20. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

11 rows of windows on the center top cone. 5 rows of windows on each of the three outer cones. These are both from the DS9 version of the model. That wasn't so hard.

--Alex

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.