Why didn't Val Kilmer return for Batman & Robin?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Nicholson was a supporter of Tim Burton (who was still considered a novice back then) and enjoyed playing the Joker. Money got him to do it, but he didn't hate the role.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Yeah, that is was what I remember. Also Nicholson is an avid art collector. He was aware of the earliest comics. He wanted the film to capture the mood and atmosphere of the late 30s, early 40s artwork.

3. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

And of course the biggest part of his paycheck came from his percentage deal from box office (and maybe merchandising, not sure about that one though).

4. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I have no evidence of this, but I think the correct answer to the OPs question about why Kilmer didn't return is obviously because of Batnipples and Batcodpieces. It's the only logical conclusion. ;)

But Bruce Wayne's outward facade and public persona IS George Clooney, essentially. Dashing, wealthy playboy with some prominent public causes who never settles down. I'm not sure that George Clooney isn't right now out spending his nights fighting crime as a vigilante.

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

So George Clooney didn't mind those things when he read the script? :p

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think there's a mention of Batnipples in the script.

And then George Clooney wasn't the problem of that film. At all.

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I give credit to B&R for killing campy Batman once in for all. Terrible movie, but I'm glad it was made. Without it we wouldn't have gotten BB.

Who knows how many more lame Schumacher movies we would have gotten if B&R didn't flop so badly?

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Good point! I believe they were already talking about something called BATMAN TRIUMPHANT with Jeff Goldblum as the Scarecrow . . . .

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

We really didn't need to see Schumacher ruin Year One too.

10. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

I know that Howard Stern was interested in the part but Schumacher wasn't interested in him. Too bad, Private Parts was terrific.

I think they were also interested in casting Madonna as Harley Quinn who would have been the Joker's daughter. They also wanted to bring Jack Nicholson back for Joker flashback scenes.

11. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Those interested in the behind-the-scenes of Hollywood sci-fi should check out the book The Greatest Sci-Fi Movies Never Made by David Hughes. He does an entire chapter on The Island of Dr. Moreau.

12. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

According to Bill Goldman's Which Lie Did I Tell? the same thing happened on the set of The Ghost and the Darkness. At one point Michael Douglas takes Kilmer aside and says: "You want a career like Eric Roberts? You want a career like Mickey Rourke? You just keep it up then!"

Of course the anecdote isn't as biting since Rourke had his big comeback. :lol:

13. Showdown

Showdown Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've read of a few theories

First was scheduling conflict. The Batman films are usually released at least 3 years a part, except for B&R. B&R was released 2 years after Batman Forever. Val Kilmer was unaware of the fast track production that the studio execs pushed for, and commited himself to the Saint.

Batman (1989)
    Batman Returns (1992)
    Batman Forever (1995)
    Batman & Robin (1997) 2 yrs

Batman Begins (2005)
    The Dark Knight (2008)
    The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

Also heard that Val Kilmer and Joel Schumacher did not get along during Batman Forever. I remember hearing Joel said something like "I do not want to work with Val ever again, and I think the feeling is mutual." Val probably think he's lucky that he wasn't in B&R.

I think most of the problems of Batman & Robin came from executive meddling. Sequel rushed out the door and made to sell toys. It all reeks of profit maximization.

14. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He possibly saw the script? lol

M

15. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

And Rourke and Kilmer both were lucky enough to be given the odd juicy character role from Tony Scott during their outcast years.