2008 Olympics!

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Turbo, Jul 31, 2008.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

As much as I can't wait for the actual games, I have a lot of issues with how these games might go. For political reasons and the whole climate, and pullution, I don't think the US should be sending anyone there. I've seen pictures of Bejing and it makes LA on a bad day look like paradise. Also, given what happened with the Torch Run (And it happened here in San Francisco which I still think was a stain on the city) I have a ton of concerns. I hope these games go off without a hitch, but I have a scary feeling something will happen.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  2. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

So do I, unfortunately. Munich was quite enough for me.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I also find myself feeling glad that the next two Olympics will be hosted in Canada (2010 Winter) and the UK (2012 Summer).

4. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

It always was very athletic, despite the costumes and all that. ;)

5. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm most interested in the basketball. I think the USA will take the Gold this time. They have too much talent and motivation this year.

Does anyone think that the Chinese basketball team has a chance to win a bronze? Or are they still too far behind the Americans and European nations in terms of basketball prowess?

6. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

7. Garrovick

Garrovick Guest

I'm going to delete NBC from my TV for the duration.

I'll get the updates from the net ...

8. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm watching archery for my hometown hero (I was this close to meeting her too!) and maybe volleyball to practice stating games.

9. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I found this interesting, but I think yet again with the Olympics due to start in around 33 hours:-
    Bring it on ... as like previous years, we will beat you.

10. Azlynn

Azlynn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You mean our utterly useless CBC coverage? The bastards who put entire events entirely on digital cable, beyond the reach of most Canadians? Don't talk to me about those bastards.

I'm going to have to find an internet stream to be able to watch pretty much ANY show jumping coverage - it's all on a digital channel. If anyone knows of streams that Canadians can actually watch, I'd love to hear about them.

I'm all about the show jumping. I saw the Canadian and Mexican teams competing around a month ago (at Spruce Meadows), and I think it's going to be quite the competition. My money is on a battle between the US and Germany for Gold, with the Dutch for bronze.

In individual, I'm all about Eric Lamaze and Hickstead for gold, yes, that Eric Lamaze, previously banned from Olympics. And I'm proud he's representing Canada. For silver and bronze, I'd love to see Nick Skeleton, but realistically I'm thinking someone Dutch or German, probably a Beerbaum! Beezie Madden is my dark horse pick to pull out a medal.

11. Nerroth

Nerroth Commodore Commodore

The soccer tourney has started - Canada is doing well so far in the ladies' tourney, while the USA won their first group match in the men's.

And the men's final looks like it'll be in the Bird's Nest!

12. Nerroth

Nerroth Commodore Commodore

Pretty impressive opening ceremony - one favourite bit was the nod to the Baochuan of Admiral Zheng He!

13. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Sorry, I didn't realize you couldn't watch the equestrian events. I don't care for that stuff myself, so I never even thought of it. I'm mostly interested in the gymnastics, diving, rowing, and the races that let the viewer see something of the countryside -- like the triathlon. Most of all, I want to see how Kyle Shewfelt does in men's gymnastics after recovering from two broken legs.

As to the opening ceremonies, it was adequate... nothing I'd write home about, though.

14. Azlynn

Azlynn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^They've done it with a few things, not just the horses. It's really lame, to take entire events and put them beyond the reach of most. And especially with something like show jumping, where we actually have medal chances. Eric Lamaze is ranked 3rd in the world right now, and is sitting on a horse that rivals Big Ben.

I'm wishing to be in the US right now so that I could watch the NBC streams - if they work as planned, it really puts everyone else to shame.

15. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not much of a summer olympics fan, I prefer the winter games, although I suspect I'll tune in to women's beach volleyball.

16. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

Nor do I. But the world of the moment is sad and mediocre, and our nation is unexcepted.

17. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Woah, who here saw the lighting of the torch? That was just plain awesome!:techman:

18. tomalak301

I'm planning to see it in about an hour and 15 minutes. Don't spoil anything ok. ;) :techman:

19. tomalak301

Why were they playing Mexican music for China? :guffaw::guffaw:

By the way, I'm watching Fencing on USA and that sport is "interesting" to say the least. Ah the olympics. The only time you get Diving, fencing, Archery, Rowing, and Equestrian as "sports." :D

20. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Hey now, archery and fencing are sports! They both take practice, a decent amount of effort, and you're trying to beat some one- I think that counts.