Was watching the movie "Virus" and...(I promise this is on topic mods)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by The Rock, Jan 24, 2013.

1. The Rock

The Rock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

....though the movie was pretty bad (it came out in 1999 starring Jamie Lee Curtis and Donald Sutherland), I couldn't help but be impressed with how they made the cyborgs look in it. It was a weird and disgusting combination of flesh and cybernetics. Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

Well I was thinking while I was watching it, if JJ Abrams ever decides to introduce the Borg in any of his Star Trek movies (after Into Darkness), then it should be a lot like the cyborgs seen in the "Virus" movie. I mean, these guys were terrifying. Here are some pics of the cyborgs in the movie:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What would you think if JJ Abrams' Borg (if he ever decided to use them) looked like this?

And yes, I know that in Abrams' Star Trek universe, the Borg shouldn't look any different than the Borg in the prime universe. But we all know he would change their look anyway. After all, he changed what the Romulans looked like even though they were from the prime universe.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Was watching the movie "Virus" and...(I promise this is on topic m

I always thought the Virus cyborgs looked cool, but I imagine Abramsverse Borg would use a lot of CG to remove body parts and replace some with moving machinery. Imagine a Borg without a bottom jaw, or with a huge chunk it it's side removed and replaced with a few spindly bits of grotesque machinery and piping. Extremely atrophied, partly mummified. It could be horrifying and fantastic.

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

You know, I edited the novelization of that movie, but I have never actually seen the film . . . .

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  4. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't be opposed to them re-imaging the Borg to the extreme, it may help make them menacing again but wouldn't going so far bump the films rating up to an R thus limiting the audience?

5. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Would 'Zombifying', and I use the term loosely, the Borg (which would be really cool) automatically bring about an R rating? I mean we're talking about making them look more grotesque and menacing looking - not flooding the movie with swearing, nudity, and sex. Just really really scary looking.

6. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know, that was pretty much my question as well. How scary looking can something be today and still be given a PG-13?

I found out the film mentioned in the OP was R rated but having not seen it I cannot speak on how flooded with nudity, swearing or sex it may have been. Are these the only factors today which earn films R ratings?

7. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Swearing can put a funny spin on things.

The film "The King's Speech" is for the most part a very subtle character study, almost suited as a stage play. There's no violence, merely the blaring of an air raid siren As Lionel is driven to the building where the King is to give the titular broadcast. There's no nudity or sex. The "worst" we see is Duke and Duchess of York in some housecoats.

But amazingly, it has an "R" rating!

Why? There's a scene where Lionel discovers "Bertie" has less difficulties speaking when he utters a "coloful metaphor". So the speech therapist encourages the Duke to "let it out". "Bertie" rips loose with a string of curses that roll trippingly off his tongue without hesitation. It's rather quite silly as he rattles off various tenses of the "F" word as though called upon in a grammar class.

Yes, it was a short sequence with "bad" language that earned the movie its "R" rating, not for nudity, not for violence. So the ratings game can be quite arbitrary at times.

Sincerely,

Bill

8. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Also, what would garner an R rating in the U.S. is not necessarily how other countries would rate the film. The King's Speech, here in Ontario, was rated PG.

9. Zardoza

Zardoza Ensign

I think the borg will be faster. Or at least there will be Borg commandos that will be faster. They did the same thing in Dawn of the Dead.

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

They should be on speeder bikes.

11. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No need for bikes. There should be Borg with wheels instead of legs.

12. Zardoza

Zardoza Ensign

Borg with magnetic feet that could shoot at you from angles you would never expect!!!

13. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, Scotty's line "If your grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon" was a bit prophetic.

14. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

92mil and it doesn't even look like 30.

Some terrific miniature wave tank stuff, some moviesaving CG from Tippett (a necessary 11th hour move because the full-size main robot wasn't able to get around at all), the aforementioned good creature/bot work (I called my article about it "building a better borg" which got the director angry for some reason), and the most by-the-numbers movie you'll ever see. Took me FOUR DAYS to get all the way through the screening copy, but at least I didn't have to pay to see it in a theater.

I didn't think the graphic novel it was based upon was anything special, but the movie seems like WING COMMANDER by comparison (funnily enough, both movies produced by Todd Moyer, a rather scary intense eyes-bulging-wide-all-the-time kind of guy who thought he was going to make a BATTLESTAR PEGASUS movie as a followup to WC, and who is currently suing Brendan Fraser for having beaten him up.)