Recommend a good RPG?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Ood Sigma, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Ood Sigma

Ood Sigma Commander Red Shirt

^ Thanks... I do have a Wii and have not played those games. So I will consider picking those up. I'm not inclined to pick up a PS3 just because of the cost and the fact that it's at the end of its life cycle.

I guess I was thinking due to the unique Wii controller that RPGs just aren't a good match for that system. Although I did download Final Fantasy IV: The After Years on Wii, so I guess I should have known that it can be done.

ETA: Couldn't find a US version of Pandora's Tower on Amazon.com... does this exist?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  2. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ Good question, I'd forgotten that Pandora's Tower might not be available over there yet. A shame if it's not, it's a decent game, although by far the best of those three is Xenoblade, so if you can get that, then you've got a cracking JRPG. To be honest, it's probably my favourite JRPG since the classic Final Fantasy games.

Edit: had a quick look and apparently Xseed games are supposed to be publishing Pandora's Tower in NA in the spring.

3. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

Final Fantays 6 (3 in the US) and Chrono Trigger for SNES. There are no better RPGs.

4. Ood Sigma

^ Oh yeah, I love those two. I was just looking for some newer games that I may have overlooked.

5. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I don't understand this logic. The successor to the PS3 hasn't even been announced yet. Sony only discontinued producing the PS2 this year. I think there are still even one or two more PS2 games yet to be released. :eek:

That's a console with a lifecycle of about 12 years.

The PS3's been out 6 years now. Sony anticipated a roughly 10-year lifecycle for it, so we're only about halfway through that. Yes, they will probably release another console in the next year or two, but games will continue to be produced for the PS3 for another year or two after that, plus you have the existing library to choose from.

Now, I don't know if there are (m)any good JRPGs for the console, but whether or not it's close to the end of its life makes no sense as a consideration if you don't care how old the suggested games are.

I get not wanting to spend a lot of money, but it's probably not that hard to get your hands on a used one, either, if you find a handful of games that compel you to want one.

6. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The end of a console's life cycle is the best time to pick up a system. All the great games have been released and most of them can be purchased from any game store for $5-$20.

7. Ood Sigma

^ Hmmm, I hadn't considered that. Still, I'm not sure I can justify the cost of a new console to play a handful of games when there are tons of games that fit the criteria for what I'm looking for, that are for the consoles I do own (Wii, XBox 360, PS2).

I guess there has to be that killer game and I just don't see it for PS3. For example, as much as I'd like to play New Super Mario Bros. U, I probably won't get a Wii U until the next Zelda comes out (whenever that is).

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yep. That, and usually it's better to wait to buy a new console until it's been out for a year or two. By then, its price will probably have dropped some and it should have some decent games out. Consoles at launch time, at least IMO, are usually overpriced and most launch titles aren't all that great.

9. Kelthaz

Not to mention waiting for a revision or two to iron out some of the bugs with the console. Red Ring of Death, anyone?

10. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You see all this fretting about obsolence and consoles is part of the reason I've always been content with PCs. Sure, you need to upgrade computers as well, but you're never in a position where you feel you can't get any games for the PC. I could get a top of the line computer tomorrow and I'd have a full library of games the moment I did so, because they'd be the same games. I've been in situations where I can barely run a game on an old computer, get a new one, and then have the satisfaction of that game running on maximum settings.

Well, that and realistically there's no other platform better for a good strategy game (Crusader Kings 2 would be sort of unthinkable with a controller).

Oh they did. Avellone's given some interesting responses about it over the years.

11. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assuming that you can convince the installers to talk to the SecuROM servers, or that Valve hasn't decided to arbitrarily lock your Steam account, sure. At least with consoles (for now, obviously this may change in future generations) you don't need to beg the publishers or retailers for permission to play the games you "own".

12. Kegg

I've never had either problem. Hell, I recently reinstalled Dragon Age: Origins via Origin, and I originally got that game on the now defunct service of Direct2Drive... and this is the third computer I've installed it on.

Steam's DRM issues do bother me but fortunately there's alternatives to Steam.

13. Kelthaz

Damn limited runs. I really want Xenoblade Chronicles, but I am so not paying the $80+ that Ebay's asking for it. What is with the RPG genre and overpricing?

14. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

For PS2 + 360 + Wii, including backwards compat, these are some the best:
    Note a lot of these never came out in europe though(not sure where you're from, I assume america or at least the ability to play american releases from your list).
    I don't want to waste time describing them in case you've already played them, but if any take your fancy I'll be happy to go into depth.

PSX
    Grandia
    Suikoden
    Suikoden 2
    Vandal Hearts
    Breath of Fire 3
    Final Fantasy IX
    Vanguard Bandits
    Alundra
    Saiyuki: Journey West

PS2
    Dragon Quest VIII
    Persona 3 : FES
    Persona 4
    Grandia 2
    Radiata Stories
    Rogue Galaxy
    Shadow Hearts 1/2/3
    Disgaea 1/2 (don't play if you hate grinding)

X360
    Tales of Vesperia

GC
    Skies of Arcadia
    Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
    Baten Kaitos
    Baten Kaitos Origins

Wii
    Xenoblade Chronicles
    The Last Story

15. Kelthaz

The lack of Wild Arms in your list makes me sad. :(

16. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

I love the wild arms games. I especially have fond memories of Jack's indiana jones style intro in the first one, as well as the ecstacy of gold overworld theme.

OP's got them in the list of games he's played though, so I didn't bother listing them.

17. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

Planescape: Torment is still the best rpg i've played and even an old pc should be able to play it

18. Kegg

It's also available DRM free from gog.com, which includes a helpful mod guide if you want to say play it in widescreen.

19. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Me too. :(

And Grandia but no Lunar? What the frack?

20. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Uh...for the second time, it's in the OP. What's the point of listing games he's already played?

I never have had much of an urge to replay the lunar games, and playing the recent psp remake of the first didn't change that, so I don't consider them essential. The Mega CD games and PSX/PSP remake(s) are fun though(DS one is hideous).