The Photoshop Thread, Part IV

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Shaw, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the compliments. The main problem I had with Troi is that Jamie's body is just a bit small... sizing Troi's head to match the body makes her head look too small relative to everyone else. And that gave me an idea... why not just enlarge Jamie's body a little? I think it works better, now. Also put a tricorder in Beverly's open hand. :)
    (2nd image replaced)

2. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Personally, I like both versions.

3. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

I do too, was just commenting. :bolian:

4. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Beverly Crusher and Troi both look great in the second version. I just think Kirk's proportions are a bit off. The torso looks like it was taken from a standing pose. How would it look if you copy Spock's torso and legs and flop the image, then match Kirk's jacket color? Also there should be a shadow under Kirk's feet.

5. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like it. :techman:

6. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I really want to watch a couple of episodes of this show!

7. Gary7

Actually, I think Crusher's body should be enlarged a little... remember, McFadden is a pretty tall lady. :) But yeah you're right, I got Kirk's torso from a standing position. I couldn't find a still shot of him sitting that could be used in this scene. I like your idea though, of just taking Spock's body and doing a little modification to distinguish it from the original.

Thanks! I... wonder why. ;)

Heh, me too! I have to believe that someday they'll be able to completely digitally model entire episodes and be able to insert/remove characters at will. So long after the actors have passed on, they'll be recreated in new episodes as if they're still active at the same age they once were. Writers will craft new screenplays and the "directors" will use advanced software to create the video with actor models following all of the scripted action and emotion, as if done by the real actors. We may even see this in our lifetimes. ;)

8. Gary7

Well, you were spot on there, Scotpens. I did what you suggested, taking Spock's body and changing the color of his tunic. I copied over the medals from Kirk's original tunic, found some gold braid for the shoulder seams, and picked a different set of folded hands to distinguish Kirk from the rest. What do you think? :)

[​IMG]

9. Brian

Brian Vice Admiral Admiral

^ That's awesome!

My only suggestion might be to move one of his feet, to make it less like Spock's.

Maybe the one on Troi's side. You could rotate the booted part toward her a bit to widen his stance.

10. Gary7

Thank you, Brian. :) You make a good point. I had been thinking his feet were OK as-is, because of the contrast difference on his right leg (overlapping dark shadow as opposed to the bright wall) and the far distance from the original. But yeah, it's not a lot of work to do a little more differentiation, so might as well. Also... I realized I hadn't finished with the shadows underneath the chair. Looks a bit wrong--got to fix that.

Jeez, just when you thought the work was done... I think I'll be editing this image a lot longer than I originally anticipated. :lol: (hmmm... maybe put Riker in place of McCoy? ;) )

11. Gary7

[​IMG]

OK... Kirk's legs are adjusted and foot shadows cleaned up. Crusher's body is slightly enlarged to match her head proportion better. Think I'm done for now. :)

12. The Trekster

The Trekster Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Have you ever seen the film 'Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid'? I think you'd really enjoy it. :)

13. Gary7

^ Hi VLS -- yep, saw it a long, long time ago. Steve Martin is one of my favorite comedians. They did do a good job of utilizing the old films. :)

OK, I couldn't resist... had to put Riker in there. My apologies, Deforest. ;)

[​IMG]

14. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably within the next 10 years, given what they are doing at the moment with tech. There was a woman on the tv this morning, funnily enough, talking about it as if it's going to happen very soon. She was using the new Tron film as an example.

:lol: How delightful! His presence might account for Troi's bashful look.

15. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^Mini-Riker. That's why she's smirking a bit

16. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How about moving Spock's arm so he'll have his hand on Crusher's thigh.

17. scotpens

It seems that Bones is a fan of French cinema of the mid-20th century -- or maybe he just has good taste in women!

[​IMG]

18. Gary7

^ the one on the right look terrific! Reminds me of Claudia Schiffer. The one on the left has a little weird shadow thing going on with her jaw line. I'd either buff it out or tone it down a little and extend a shadow down across her neck.

Yeah, I saw that... I'd enlarged his tunic a little using the liquefy tool, so it's even larger than it was on McCoy. But it's still not enough. I'll have to see about "pumping him up" a bit.

19. scotpens

Here I’ve used a different angle on the head on the left (it's a young Catherine Deneuve):

[​IMG]

Funny that the other one reminds you of Claudia Schiffer. It's Brigitte Bardot -- who Claudia has often been compared to.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  20. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Ouch! It's like drawing a mustache (and beard) on the Mona Lisa...:alienblush: