John Larroquette: ST III

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Borjis, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Would EJO's height have something to do with why they wouldn't cast him?

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lloyd certainly used his trademark voice for Kruge, no question about it. And I also agree that Larroquette was using a different voice than he used for Dan Fielding. Voice is just as important as the visual appearance, isn't it?

However, I'm going to plead ignorance on whether Lloyd could have used a different voice. He's always used that trademark voice in anything I've ever seen him in, but I don't know what he's fully capable of when it comes to voice work.

---

GROAN!!!

3. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I don't think so, as the studio's suggestion of Terence Stamp is even smaller and slighter, I believ.

4. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Can't find the reference, but Jurgen Prochnow (pre-DUNE, post-THE KEEP and DAS BOOT) was also supposed to be a shoo-in at some point.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

What...does...the...yellow...alert...mean?

6. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Judging by a five minute bit from a show early in his career (30-some years ago)? Another show from that time period is where I first saw the man, and came to admire his work.

Maurice LaMarche is an accomplished voice actor. You might know him better as The Brain, any number of characters on Animaniacs and Histeria, not to mention Morbo, Calculon, and Kif Kroker (among others) from Futurama, or more recently the Voice of Lexus.

He also originated "Talk Like William Shatner Day."

7. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Definitely a path not [properly] taken.

And I would have LOVED to see EJO's portrayal of Kruge.

8. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

I always saw Kruge as a Klingon in the tradition of Kor, Koloth and Kang: an antagonist with an understandable perspective, as opposed to a caricature of evil.

Definitely a contrast to post-TOS films. There is no way to sympathize with Soran, the Borg Queen, Ru'afo, Shinzon, Nero or Marcus. This is especially disappointing in the case of Shinzon, who, given the concept, certainly could have been a somewhat sympathetic character, but the film never gives him a fair shake.

9. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

I find Nero very easy to to sympathize with. He'd lost his family. That will mess you up in the worst way.

Shinzon is the polar opposite. What he should have been and what he was... yeah they just didn't connect. At all.