The old "DS9 stole from B5" thing

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Forbin, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Feh. It's something to kill time talking about.

2. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

So once this is settled, what's the prize?

3. JoeD80

JoeD80 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just making it clear that PTEN existed as an entity as well. Stations that had PTEN shows had to take all of them; they didn't pick and choose which ones they wanted like other syndication packages. (Of course, they could just throw them into the 3:00 AM death slot if they wanted). Some of the PTEN stations that switched to UPN also gave up the PTEN shows and other independent stations picked them up. In some cases, the stations kept both. Also, the department that formed the WB network was actually a separate division of the Time/Warner behemoth than the one that formed PTEN.

4. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Your answer was one post ahead of your question.

5. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

A shot of whiskey and a gun.

6. EnsignRicky

Who get's the whiskey?

7. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

There can be only one...!

8. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Whoever has the gun, obviously.

9. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

"This is the kind of conversation that can only end with a gunshot!"

10. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Perhaps Future Guy can come and end this threa -- HEY...wait a minute...Future Guy? A guy traveling about through the centuries? Didn't they steal that idea from Quantum Leap? I guess Quantum Leap was decades, not centuries. Clever...they thought they could pull the wool over our eyes. But wait, they even stole the actor!!! :scream:
    ...and wait -- Quantum Leap stole their imagery from TMP!
    [​IMG]
    THIEVES!!! :scream::scream::scream:

11. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Considering a Jump Gate is basically a comon occurance in the Babylon 5 verse what with it being a device to use their version of FTL on ships not big enough to do it on their own, whereas the wormhole was a super rare occurance that made it practicle to get to a distant and unexplored region of the galaxy and there are no other wormholes like that IT'S NOT A STOLEN IDEA. Their not even remotly similar except big blue thing ships fly through.

12. EnsignRicky

Man-made or not, two Stargate type space anomalies that spit out guests of the week sounds a little similar to me.

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

It's still a tenuous link at best, this really proves nothing. Heresay etc. The fact that they were already going to produce another ST sequel show anyway and also the fact that most of the in-universe stories are totally dissimilar really leads me to believe nothing was taken from B5.

RAMA

14. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're all wrong.

It's not a ripoff of B5, it's a ripoff of Space: 1999. And I have the baseless claims to prove it.

oberth and Skipper like this.
  15. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

... and two bullets. [​IMG]

16. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yes, I seem to recall that was a method of long distance Space travel in Buck Rogers.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep.

It doesn't matter how something "sounds" to someone, or what people are "willing to believe." All that matters is what's true.

18. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

But you know that the truth is a three edged sword and once the avalanche has started, it's too late for the pebbles to vote.

19. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

So, pretty much exactly the same thing functionally, which serves exactly the same purpose in both shows, except for its origin. :)

20. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

My feeling, from 20 years of reading all the available quibbling, is this: jms presented his presentation to paramount. Paramount turned him away, but said to themselves "This is really a pretty good format. Let's develop something along those lines but put it in our Trek franchise universe." So you got the basic setup of the Casablanca-like atmosphere on a space station near a wormhole/jumpgate. Maybe some of the character beats were lifted or inspired from jms' treatment, with some changes to fit into the Trek universe.

Then once the show got started, the two diverged into their own things and went, mostly their separate ways.

Maybe B5 liked the defiant and came up with the White Star.

Maybe (probably) DS9 saw how cool the Shadow War idea was, and worked the Dominion War up.

As has been said, show biz ain't averse to borrowing from each other.

And just to be clear that I'm not trying to tweak the fight or troll or anything - I emphasize and reiterate that I still love both shows dearly, and I'm glad we got them both.