Pearl Jam: Ten ('91) vs. Remastered vs. Redux

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by T'Baio, Mar 25, 2009.

1. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Today, Pearl Jam released the remastered deluxe edition of their debut album Ten. One of the best debut albums of all time, in my opinion, but that's besides the point.

For those of you who have listened to it at this point, where do you find the differences and which do you like the best?

There's the original release in '91, the remastered version of the original release which is just a supposedly better sounding version, but then there's also the Redux version which has actually been remixed, not just remastered.

The remastered version does sound "better," I think, but I also feel the dirtier sound of the original master was something I liked. As far as the redux, I think I've noticed a few differences in the levels of certain layers, like the guitar at the end of Evenflow, but I haven't quite figured it out yet. Have you guys?

2. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

They tinkered with it too much IMO. I'm with you, I think TEN was one of the best debut albums of all time and one of the best albums of the last 20 years.

You can really hear how much they messed with the sound with the guitar sound on Evenflow.

3. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

In regards to the sound, are you talking about on the Remastered disc or the Redux disc?

4. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

Remastered.

5. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

It's decent. I havent heard the new version. The alhum itself has a long protratced side 2, but side 1 was solid. Vedder has a good voice and the songs were ok, but the album precipitated so many copy cats that although technically I can't blame this album for it, I usually just put it in the pile and not listen to it.

My favorite songs are Once and Why Go, because they aren't nearly as draining and repetive as Jeremy, Evenflow and Alive and they have a bit more spunk. Jeremy derives me crazy.

As far as debut albums go, I say its definately solid, but no where near as great or impactful or p[erfect as GnR Apetite for Destruction.

6. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm still waiting for this to come in the mail because I ordered it online instead of just going to the store... But I'm really looking forward to revisiting it.

...And playing it in "Rock Band".

7. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

I'm really liking the Redux disc. I haven't watched the MTV Umplugged DVD yet.

8. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry to bump an old thread but this album just arrived today and it didn't seem worth a new thread.

For me with this redux version they have fixed everything I didn't like about the original album.

I always liked Ten, it was an amazing debut and a truly great collection of songs, but personally when Vs. came out it made the sonic shortcomings of Ten glaringly obvious. Brendan O'Brien produces and mixes Pearl Jam with a very attacking clean sound that perfectly suits them and really brings out the aggressiveness of the music where appropriate. Ten in my opinion was drowned in reverb and echoey effects that muddied up all the layers of guitar parts and vocals and made the album sound pretty awful by comparison to their subsequent few albums.

I prefer this by far.

9. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe I'm in the minority then, because to me the Redux disc sounds kind of weird. At least to me, it sounds like they buried the lead guitar parts in favor of the rhythm guitar. I've listened to the remastered original version more than the Redux.

10. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Too bad they couldn't remaster how to make an album like Ten.