The Quiet Man (Ford/Wayne)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Kirkman1987, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

Any fans of the films here? I picked up Olive's new blu ray and it sports a stunning new 4k restoration:eek:

As for the film itself, I don't think there's anything I can say that hasn't been said before. There's some serious competition, but this may be both John Ford and John Wayne's best film. I certainly think it's the most beautiful to look at (I would have gone with The Searchers before this new restoration, it reveals a lot of new detail). Touching, funny, and any romance that ends in an extended fistfight gets my love and respect.

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I'm not a John Wayne fan, but this is my favorite film of his and one I'll always stop to watch if I catch it. I think one of the big reasons I like it is the fact that it's not a western. The only thing that I think really drags down the film is some of the sets used in situations where it seems that location shooting would have been obviously superior. Particularly the stage use in place of locations for the outdoor scenes during the race.

3. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't rank it as the best Ford or Wayne picture but that's a high bar and The Quiet Man is a great movie. A wonderful sense of place and community, very deftly drawn. Some absolutely classic character scenes. I'm not much of a movie buyer but I'll check out the new disc from Netflix, thanks for the tip Kirkman.

Justin

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I remember seeing E.T. in the theatre as a kid and years later seeing The Quiet Man and realizing "That's where that scene is from!".

5. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

For years, this film and McClintock! were the only John Wayne films I would willingly sit through; Quiet Man because it wasn't a Western, and McClintock! because it's a comedy; both benefit from the great on-screen chemistry and off-screen friendship between Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. And I can't say enough about Barry Fitzgerald, whose Michaeleen Oge Flynn is both hilarious and eminently quotable. I'll definitely have to check out this new restoration.

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I love this film, though I can't remember the last time I managed to catch it when it was on. I used to have a VHS copy many moons ago but I never upgraded to DVD for some reason.

My dad used to love this film :)

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

It's very popular in Ireland and Ashford Castle, where the stars stayed during filming, was put on the map by it, but it annoys the tits off me with its stage-Oirishness, which set the tone for Hollywood's depiction of Oireland!

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Could be worse, it could be Voyager/Fairhaven (Which offends me and I'm not even Irish...)

9. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^True, that was pretty dire.

10. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love this movie, but I have to think of it as "an Irish fable," given the staginess of parts, the outlandish characterizations of some supporting cast members and the whole "here's a nice stick with which to beat the lady" scene.

11. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

fantastic film - was, IIRC, my mum's favourite movie, and I love it as well. Definitely at least Wayne's best non-western

12. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

I love "The Quiet Man." I think it's John Wayne's best with "The Searchers" coming in a very, very close second.

13. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've read that the film had a very nice spot in the hearts of the cast. Something like that many of them agreed to make other films for whichever studio, just so they could make this one.

14. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

Yes, Ford had been trying to get the film made for years but no one would buy it. Republic agreed to do the movie In exchange for Ford doing Rio Grande, also with Wayne and O'hara.

15. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Have you heard the story behind the "credits" at the end, for O'Hara and Wayne? She leans over and whispers something to him, then his head whips around in shock to look at her. The story goes that Ford quietly told O'Hara what to say to Wayne, in order to get that reaction. Nobody outside of those three ever knew what was said... and O'Hara isn't telling anyone. :lol:

16. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Yes, she mentions that in her audio commentary on the DVD, which is really delightful to listen to. (She also provides a translation of her Gaelic conversation with Father Lonergan.)

17. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Maureen O'Hara..... one of the greats in every sense of the word