The Return of Janeway

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by NextGen123, Jul 6, 2011.

1. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

:bolian: :bolian: :bolian:

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's more probably that writers attempt to keep consistent with first their own books, then other peoples books they liked. perhaps other peoples books they've read, then maybe if they're in a pinch other peoples books they don't like.

One thing these Authors are not going to keep consistent with are books they have not read.

Janeway was watercooler talk.

Didn't have to read the book to know that Janeway was dead.

3. zar

zar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:confused: I suppose my problem is that I'm assuming that all posts with "Gov Kodos" next to them were, in fact, written by the same person, hence I'm within reason to make reference to something you said even if you didn't happen to mention it within the post I just quoted.

4. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    This (mine)
    is the same as this?(Yours)
    I don't understand your problem, nor do I care.

5. zar

:wtf:

I never said it's the same.

Read what I just said again. It obviously escaped you.

6. Gov Kodos

Will anyone ever give us vampire Janeway vs the Borg? Now that she's dead, it's time Trek met the undead. Austen can have zombies, why not us?

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Trek has done the undead..

[​IMG]

VULCAN ZOMBIES FTW

8. Gov Kodos

Cool, but I missed that episode. My cable here stopped showing Enterprise around year two and went back to Voyager. I guess Janeway and crew were more popular here.

9. teacake

An entire ship of Vulcan zombies lurching and covered with sores and trying to eat your flesh.

10. Gov Kodos

I remember a party like that back in college.

11. zar

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkjjH03cQLs[/yt]

Vorta zombie?

12. teacake

heh heh, KEEVAN oh yeah!

Trying to think of any Voy zombies.. well the Vidiians are not too far off.

13. froot

froot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guarding the Compound with the Grey Wardens
    I always considered the episode "One" a VOY zombie episode. Even though it's not really.

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Neelix had a dream where his Zombie sister was haunting him.

Kim had sex with a Zombie.

15. Gov Kodos

I thought Kim was a zombie.

16. Tidus79001

Tidus79001 Lieutenant Commander

I don't see how if Janeway were to return that it would undo any of the so called growth of any of the characters. I find it unlikely that the writers would just press a reset button & then say that none of what happened in the novels in which Janeway was dead no longer counts any longer.

I for one don't want to roll back the clock on what has already taken place in the books since her death. That being said I see no reason why she can't return & be compelling, nor do I feel that her return in any way whatsoever diminishes any other character.

Personally I think that Captain Eden does more to diminish the characters than anything else. When Janeway was Captain of Voyager she was alone in the Delta Quadrant & in command of Voyager & she was solely responsible for leading her crew & making critical decisions, and she trusted her crew to make responsible decisions. Now that Chakotay is Captain he has to report to Captain Eden on every decision that he wants to make & get her to approve anything command decision instead of him having the freedom to just make that decision & act on it.. My point is the characters had more freedom to grow without having to ask Mommy Eden if they had her approval before making every single decision.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  17. Galekarens

Galekarens Commander Red Shirt

Kathryn Janeway as Admiral of the Fleet (yes, she could have been very useful) would be so much more interesting than made-up Capt. Eden (who would be ok if she wasn't just a KJ substitute). Besides being experienced in the Delta Quad. (of course), Janeway would be familiar with what her people are capable of, and know that they would make good decisions without having to check with her. Sounds like Chakotay is not much more than Eden's 1st officer now, oh well that's a good way to uplift and expand a character (not). Getting rid of KJ was such a waste of a great and important character, she could have been quite integral to this new mission, and as I've heard other people say, the "Voy" books are not right without her.

18. zar

As opposed to the real, not-made-up Janeway.

19. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

Eden isn't canon, Janeway however is. That is the difference. She is the staring canon character for Star Trek Voyager, Eden isn't. With only eight percent of Trek fans reading novels, the majorty of Trek fans (71% female by the way), don't even know who Eden is but they know who Janeway is. That is the difference too.

http://startrek.com/article/following-fandom-the-ongoing-analysis-part-2

20. Galekarens

Galekarens Commander Red Shirt

Made up recently for the Trek books, of course, as opposed to Kathryn Janeway already shown on TV for at least seven years (not counting reruns, etc). I'm sure you know that there is a difference between a "paper" character and an official canon character who we have seen in action and have grown to respect and admire (and do want to see more of in print).