"Convergance" 60s ST/DW crossover Cliffhanger

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Owen Wildish, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Owen Wildish

Owen Wildish Ensign Newbie

[​IMG]
    Having been rescued by the Starship USS Enterprise from an unknown alien ship controlled by Robotised Romulans, the mysterious Doctor realizes who is really behind this invasion...

2. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Horizon

Horizon Commander Red Shirt

Oh, I LIKE it!

4. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

The second Doctor should meet Pike, the first, April--but the Fourth Doctor for TOS...

5. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

What about the third? I loved Pertwee... such a great doctor. Opera capes are cool.

--Alex

6. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

I keep wondering which of the original DOCTOR WHO series Doctor characters' acting styles would fit well with the TOS atmosphere. If you look at an adventure like this as a TOS story, the 2nd Doctor (Troughton) seems a little too comically deranged to fit in the drama. The 3rd (Pertwee) and 4th (Baker) seem ideal, though. Especially the 3rd. It would be hilarious to see him in one of his famous chase scenes with the chase-music used when Kirk and Tyree escape the village in "A Private Little War". The 4th, while also whacky at times, had his charismatic story-telling moments in scenes where he makes a discovery, like when he figures out "I've locked it in!" the lighthouse in "The Horror of Fang Rock".

7. Owen Wildish

The idea is that it's contemporary to 1966-1969 then the original Star Trek series first ran and Patrick Troughton was the Doctor though when you see the later Troughton stories he's toned the humour down mostly and serious when needed to be especially when it comes to the Daleks, the original Star Trek can be light hearted at times also but then again Jon Pertwee would be a good alternative except he was mostly Earthbound during his era. Tom Baker would be a bit too late unless it was Star Trek: the Motion Picture era?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  8. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

As a resident of the U.K. you will no doubt find a lot of Americans, particularly of a certain age, have a peculiar view on this topic.

In the late 1970s, DOCTOR WHO was syndicated in the U.S.; this means it was sold to individual, independent local TV stations (stations not a member of a national TV network like NBC, ABC or CBS). In the New York City area, it was played Saturday mornings on WWOR Channel 9 (Secaucus, NJ). During this time that the show was syndicated in the U.S., the episodes circulated here were limited to a loop from 1974 to 1978; all Tom Baker shows. The first was "Robot", and the last was "The Invasion of Time". That's all many Americans exposed to DOCTOR WHO saw until the early 1980s, when the syndication deal was ended and the show was picked up by PBS (public broadcasting, which also played MASTERPIECE THEATRE, ARE YOU BEING SERVED?, ALL CREATURES GREAT AND SMALL, and many other British shows) throughout the rest of the decade.

It is because of this peculiar business dealing that many Americans (especially kids and young adults of that time) have a more powerful attraction/familiarity with Tom Baker as the Doctor.

STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE made its debut in American movie theaters on 7 Dec. 1979 (the 38th anniversary of the Japanese attack of Pearl Harbor; thus memorable because the show opened on Pearl Harbor Day). So, along with TAS, TOS was also syndicated from about the early 1970s clear through the 90s. This is when TOS gained its "cult status", especially the mid-70s forward. So TOS, TAS and "Baker" WHO were all syndicated in the same time frame, and that's when the buzz was generated in the mindset of many Americans who watched those shows in that era.

9. Owen Wildish

Star Trek didn't start showing over in the UK till the 70s, It's understandable and rather fascinating, for a long time Tom Baker was hugely popular as the Doctor I know as far as a lot of people were concerned he was the Doctor (doesn't help that the BBC destroyed most of Patrick Troughton's episodes in the 70s)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  10. spockboy

spockboy Captain Captain

Cool. Like that particular Doctor.

Did a Trek/Who crossover myself once...

https://vimeo.com/2278176

[​IMG]

:)Spockboy

11. Owen Wildish

two more pics I did
    [​IMG]