Get A Life!

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by SimpleLogic, Nov 25, 2012.

1. SimpleLogic

SimpleLogic Guest

So I just watched this on Netflix last night and was wondering if anyone else had seen it and what their thoughts about it were?

The one thing I noticed was how everyone kept talking about how they go to conventions all the time and meet all sorts of friendly people and make friends for life, etc. Maybe it is just me but I've never really had that kind of experience. I've been to many a local one and even went to the Las Vegas one in 2005. I'm not saying I never have good times but I just remembered how most people just seem to get along in their own groups and don't really do much talking to too many others. I've maybe chat with a few people here and there while standing in an autograph line nothing more. Now I will say that I'm not the best at conversation starting either but I can talk and talk and talk. What am I doing wrong?

As to the show itself I did like that Shatner didn't go out of his way to find the super-fandom people like they did in Trekkies and then poke a bit of fun at them through editing.

The story of "Captain Dave" was very touching.

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It can be tricky. I discovered ST fandom in early 1980. In Sydney, we had monthly marathons of TOS on the big screen (six, later five plus a TAS, or five plus an episode of "Zombies of the Stratosphere"), and everybody gathered in a large foyer for two intermissions. There were always loners and chatterers, but mostly everybody could find someone to talk to.

At conventions and club meetings, I quickly realised that getting involved - costuming, writing or editing fanzines, joining a newsletter collating party, volunteering to run or speak on a panel, MCing, etc - made me someone people wanted to get to know. It makes it much easier to identify people with common interests, not just "Star Trek" in general, or you can find people with a similar sense of humour.

After a while though, you can find yourself in a clique. You'll turn up at an event and choose to hang with a default group of friends, and not be as open to meeting new people. Certainly, it would be impossible for a shy person to break into a clique.

Wear an unusual shirt! Someone will come up to ask you about it!

3. SimpleLogic

SimpleLogic Guest

Well I once wore my "You're Fired" Apprentice shirt and the Silver Surfer (aka Doug Jones) liked it.:techman:

4. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

I like to read about stuff and i like the universe i would never ask an autograph from any celebrity. It seems ridiculous. Owrite maybe i would ask one and then take a picture then sell it.

5. Minuet

Minuet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The marvelous progressive utopia of California
    I saw that while browsing Netflix the other day, but I haven't watched it yet. I'll have to check it out sometime and report back.

I also want to see The Captains...

6. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

I work at a number of Anime conventions, and I used to cover horror movie conventions as a journalist, and my experiences with both in terms of the guests have always been pretty positive.

I'm not much of an autograph hound. I've been lucky enough to do things like drink with Lance Henriksen and have dinner with Rudy Ray Moore, and that, to me, is a lot more appealing a thing to have, if only in my memories, than an autograph.

7. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just saw this on Netflix last week. It was really great. There should have been a warning that Arlene Martel (T'Pring) would make an appearance. She looked horrible wandering around at a convention. Used to love her as Tiger on "Hogan's Heroes".

8. st.barthgirl

st.barthgirl Lieutenant Red Shirt

"What does it mean, 'exact change'?"

Simple Logic: LOVE it. First time i've read it...

9. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

Just watched this ( thanks for the heads up that it was available on Netfix SimpleLogic! )

I have to say that I really enjoyed it. It was nice to see that Shatner has finally learned that the fandom is filled with social people who like to share their ideas and experiences with each other. It was also nice to see his usual "me, me, me" schtick take a back seat (except for the time when he brought it up jokingly).

I was at the convention shown in this movie, so it brought back some great memories.

Fun movie!

10. borg3060

borg3060 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I am the the guy in the Borg and Data/Lore outfits. It was fun to be interviewed, and a blast to see the final product :-)

11. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Gotta check this out. Love nerd related documentaries. The Captains wasn't so hot, but it was still worth a watch if for no other reason to see how batshit insane Avery Brooks is.

Also, I just rewatched the "Get a Life" skit from SNL the other night. Classic.