Spider-Man The Gauntlet comics

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mr Light, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm wondering how good the "Gauntlet" storyline is in the Spidey comics since the first trade just came out.

I've read the first three BND trades and enjoyed them. I really loved "New Ways to Die" and "Election Day", both were classic Spidey stories. "American Son" I found just kinda there. So how does Gauntlet rate against those?

And is the story really just an unconnected series of classic baddies coming back or is there some kind of central story to it?

Also... is Ben Reilly back in the comics now? Is that before or after the Gauntlet?

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Haha, that was a funny line. When you called BND stories "classic", hilarious.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I think the "One More Day" thing is an atrocity to be sure, but I definitely loved "New Ways to Die" and "Election Day". As stupid a move as the Mephisto thing was, I am enjoying the new stories.

4. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to admit, as much as I hate the Mephisto thing, some of the stories that have come after it really have been good!

5. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here. Best Spidey has been in a long time, IMO (not counting Ultimate).

6. Captain Craig

Glad you guys are enjoying it as a whole.
    Sadly, however its not the popular opinion using sales as the indicator. When single issue sales, without gimmick variants, can't break into the top 20(or just barely gets in there) its a sad state for Marvel's flagship character.

Its not an issue of 'the economy' either as some like to use as a crutch argument. If it was then well written books like Green Lantern would be down. No, people will pay for the good stuff, which ASM outside a few gems in BND hasn't been.

7. M'rk son of Mogh

Since when is being the #6 best selling book in January, #14th, and #17 (plus being a member of a team that has the #5 best selling book) a poor sales indicator?

My information seems to contradict your made up information.

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2010/2010-01.html

Green Lantern (yay, finally DC, #2!!) with his lightning in a bottle crossover and toy giveaway isn't exactly doing things on his own either. But look at Siege, #1 in January. If you're part of a crossover, you do well.

Spidey's doing well enough post BND. No comic sells through the roof, and he's no exception. But his sales, relatively speaking, are nothing to sneeze at.

8. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow, SEIGE'S numbers suck!

9. M'rk son of Mogh

*shrugs*
    All numbers do.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gauntlet, eh?

"Remember, don't web food!" :lol: ;)

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So... did anyone read the Gauntlet issues...? ;)

12. Robert Burke Richardson

Robert Burke Richardson Captain Captain

I haven't read it, but my cousin was trying to sell me on ASM last night, and specifically mentioned the Gauntlet issues as a lot of fun. I didn't ask him if there's an overarcing theme behind all the classic villain appearances, but I can't imagine there wouldn't be.

13. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gauntlet is the kick off to Marvel's Year of Spider-Man arc so yes there is a over arcing theme in the books. I've not yet read any of Gauntlet yet but plan to as the library gets the trades in. I have to admit that I've been enjoying the BND stories for the most part...the stuff with Felicia is interesting :)

14. Captain Craig

Watch what I do in three steps here.

1-point out how you(intentionally?) left out the qualifing statment of...
    2-bring up Feb 2010 sales from the industry tracker Diamond

Diamond Comics-Feb Sales
    If you feel inclined to use your source, just back it up a month to Dec 2009. ASM ranks in at #16, #22 and #23. Nice try using one variant cover month to boost your claim.:shifty:
    Over at the Marvel Comics msg boards we have on ongoing thread where we've been tracking the decline and noting how variant covers and 'old school' villains play into boosting sales at any given time vs the less than stellar status quo BND tales.

3-show you the decline courteous of the ongoing tracking.
    As you can see, I hope you can and don't just glaze over what you don't like, BND Spidey continues to sink in single issue sales. For the record the low point of ASM the last 20yrs was the Bryne/Mackie Chapter One fiasco. They single issue was 48.6K.
    So how long till TPTB are forced into re-altering this less than stellar status quo?

Single issues of Dark Horses Buffy the Vampire Slayer have at times beaten BND/ASM(not this feb but she has).
    Thor also beats two issue of ASM this past month. Not to knock on Thor but he isn't the flagship character. No way he should now be selling better.

When ASM/BND does NOT have variant covers, sometimes numbering 3-4 covers, Spidey is not only NOT in the top 10 but hovering at or out of the top 20.

BAZINGA!

15. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The culmination of Secret War, Disassembled, Civil War and Secret Invasion barely outperformed GL50.

It probably got its nuts kicked by BN7 in February.

Seems like Siege is Marvel's Final Crisis as Dark Reign was their Countdown.

16. M'rk son of Mogh

My bad, I just googled last months sales chart, and got what I got. No biggie.

So Spidey isn't selling as well as Green Lantern these days (what's the difference between variant covers and the ring giveaways?)

It's funny that finally DC has something to brag about, and everyone jumps on that bandwagon. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I've actually been reading it and enjoying it as well.

But still, it's lightning in a bottle.

Speaking of superhero icons, where's Superman again?

It's all cyclical and changing. This year Green Lantern, next year, who knows, Thor? Then Flash? Then back to Batman. And Spider-Man again.

Regardless of sales, people are still enjoying the BND stories and sure, anecdotally only, I hear more positive about the aftermath than not. Despite how sucky the whole Mephisto thing was.

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Don't worry the second Joe Quesada isn't the EIC anymore the new guy will instantly reverse the devil deal.

18. Captain Craig

All good, just pointing out the decline is a trend. When you flatly call me out and say "your made up facts"(aka liar) you best make sure you know your information first. :techman:

The ring giveaway was a ONE month gimmick. ASM/BND has at minimum one variant cover a month in order to boost sales and has for the last two years. Six variant covers in total for Jan '10, the month you cited.

Bandwagon? Green Lantern has been fairly hot the last 5yrs. The Sinestro Corps thru Blackest Night has been a developing story for 2years. The same two years ASM/BND has been in decline due to less interesting stories.

I'd wager the World of Krypton stories that has removed Superman proper might have something to do with the lawsuits by the Siegel/Schuster families. Not positive though.

Spider-man's cyclical turn will come most likely once Joey Q is no longer around as Light said.

19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The World of Krypton mini series I dont't think was due to the Seigel Shuster rights issue but part of the overall arc of Geoff Johns run on Superman and the set up for the big Summer 2010 story arc that has since been announced as War of the Supermen. I think when all things are said by the end of the year Clark will be the loan remaining Kryptonian once again.

Once Joey Q steps down or is removed as EIC I for some reason think that he'll be replaced by Brian Michael Bendis!

20. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Kandor's going to end up back in a bottle and Clark and KARA will be the sole Kryptonians running around.

I'm pretty iffy about JMS taking over Superman though. I've liked his creator owned stuff, but most of his mainstream super-hero stuff (Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Thor...) has left me severely unimpressed.