Trek I to X: Special Edition/Director's cut on Blu Ray

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by idgitandscootch, May 19, 2013.

1. idgitandscootch

idgitandscootch Cadet Newbie

I have the 2-disc Special Edition (Director's Cut) of the first 10 movies (I know some of TNG films are not titled that way, but they have the deleted scenes and bonus features)

Does anybody know when these Director's Cut versions will be released on Blu Ray? I don't want the theatrical version on Blu Ray, when my DVD editions have more footage...

Any news on even a year of release, if nothing more specific?

Thanks! :)

2. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The question you should be asking is will Paramount ever release the directors cuts on blu-ray. They seem to be content with just re-releasing the same poor quality transfers of the theatrical cuts in different packaging. The directors cut of The Motion Picture would be a problem too as the new CGI shots were only rendered in SD. I guess that the 50th anniversary in 2016 would be the most obvious date to expect a re-release. Personally I'd prefer to see the movies get new transfers first.

3. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

While I don't care at all for the DE of TMP, I'd love to see the SLV being released on BD ... as well as the DE of TWOK and the extended version of TUC (not the DE). The DEs of TWOK and TUC are available in HD on iTunes, but I think it's the same transfer they used for the two disk sets, which is far from brilliant.

4. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Count me as somebody who is glad to have the theatrical versions. While it's always good to have alternate cuts of movies out there, they do have a habit of meaning the original cuts get lost to history. I'm glad Paramount finally released on shiny disc TMP and TUC as they were originally seen in theaters, and anyone who actually wants the Directors Cuts has still got the DVDs... having said all that, we'd have to be complete mugs not to expect the Directors Editions to be released on BD eventually. ;)

5. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

I still want to see TFF director's edition.

Also, I want to see whatever scraps of deleted scenes exist for FC. Frakes can proclaim no such snips exist, but I have photographic proof of at least 2 scenes cut! :P

6. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Isn't TMP DC released on BluRay ? I just checked on Amazon.

7. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

No it is NOT!!!

And now that the theatrical versions have been on Blu-ray for 4 years....it's time that the Director's/extended versions are!

Just take my money!!

The only format I haven't bought Treks 1, 2 and 6 on are on Blu-ray.

4 times on VHS, 2 times on Laser Disc and 2 times on DVD. I guess they're tired of my money! LOL.

Actually 3 times on DVD as all my DVDs were stolen and I had to rebuy them.

8. Belz...

Ok. On Amazon they seemed to claim that the version released last month was the director's cut.

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Some press material indicated that, which is probably why it is showing up on Amazon, but it turned out to be false. The discs are the same as before.

10. Belz...

Damn ! :( I want TMP's director's cut in HD.

I also want my own starship.

11. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm glad to have the theatrical cuts too! I just wish it was the other way around. I wish the theatrical cuts were the DVD versions and the DE/SE were the BLU-RAYs. :)

12. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

Yep and what really kills me is if Paramount cared even a little bit more, they could have very easily created Blu-ray discs that include both Theatrical and Director's Editions of all the movies (aside from TMP of course) via seamless branching. Paramount really needs to get a clue from the way CBS is so thoroughly handling the TV properties.

That of course would have required a re-render of the all CG created back in 2001. The DE was done on a tight budget so it was only rendered at 480p since the target was DVD.

It could be pretty easily brought up to par, multiple members of the DE production staff have repeatedly said over the years they're game to re-work it for Blu-ray.

There is a newly color-timed transfer of the live action footage in 1080p that Robert Wise oversaw sitting somewhere in an archive at Paramount just waiting to be used.

It's just the CG that needs re-rendering, and while Foundation Imaging went bankrupt a few years after doing the TMP DE, many of the source 3D files are still in the hands of one or two of the VFX artists that worked on it.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  13. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Which ones? I know there's a couple of additional shots of the Borg from the trailers.

There's also the deleted scene with Lily entering the holodeck for the first time that was shot. No idea if it still exists.

Not sure if it's a deleted scene but there's that god-awful sound edit when Picard says "it's charged with anti-protons" when they're on the deflector dish. Sounds like something got removed from there.

14. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always felt Paramount's attitude towards things like this is just, "Whatever we make, as long as it has STAR TREK on the label, it'll sell.

I love the SE/DE DVDs that were coming out, but the special features -- mostly from ST2 and 3 -- felt very half-assed and not well-produced. They didn't seem to take the time to do a good job. Hell, Shatner's interview from ST2 and ST3 is clearly from the same sitting, just split in two and there are some INSANELY close shots of Nimoy and Bennet's faces in the interviews. I remember I actually moved back a bit from my screen, they were so close.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't want these in High-Def!

15. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

Oh for sure. These were cranked out (most of which used repurposed, rather poorly done, HD transfers made in the early 2000s) just in time to cash in on the reboot in 2009, otherwise we might never have seen them at all.

Yeah no kidding. I forgot about some of those awkwardly framed interviews.

If Paramount cheaped out, and they probably did given the way they handled TMP DE, the interviews were probably only filmed in 480i, so they'd be included as "legacy" SD supplements on any hypothetical future Blu-ray versions.