Pick my next 3 classic DVD purchases

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by The Borgified Corpse, Jan 19, 2013.

?

Vote for 3!

Poll closed Jan 30, 2013.
  1. Planet of Giants

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. The Time Meddler

14 vote(s)
    70.0%
  3. The Mutants

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. The Three Doctors (special edition)

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  5. Invasion of the Dinosaurs

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. Death to the Daleks

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. The Sun-Makers

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  8. The Greatest Show in the Galaxy

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Barnes & Noble is having another buy 2 get 1 free sale. This is always a great time for them to suck my wallet dry since they have a pretty thorough classic Who collection. Which 3 do you think I should get?

2. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Invasion of the Dinosaurs would be my top pick from that list. Yes the effects aren't great but it's a great story.

3. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

The Greatest Show in the Galaxy is my favorite on this list-- one of many McCoy-era gems. The Time Meddler is one of my favorite Hartnells, some good comic acting in that one.

4. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Not trying to discourage you from buying DW, but if you compare prices, you'll find that B&N recently raised theirs across the board. Even with b2g1, you will likely be able to buy all 3 at Amazon or elsewhere for cheaper. That said, B&N does have Shada for 24 bucks right now. If you don't have that already, it's a must-get.

5. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Time Meddler and Greatest Show are easily the best of those stories. Though I enjoy them all.

6. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Of those, Three Doctors, Sunmakers, Greatest Show

7. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Timelash, The Gunfighters and Warriors of the Deep.

There, no need to thank me...

8. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

The Time Meddler - fantastic historical that's also a real turning point in Who mythology and what kind of stories Who could tell.

The Sun-Makers - good satire from possibly Who's greatest writer (although not his best story).

The Greatest Show in the Galaxy - clever, innovative adventure with one of the best Doctor/companion teams.

Three good but very different stories, plus you get something from the 60s, something from the 70s and something from the 80s.

9. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Well, so far in the results, "The Time Meddler" is running away with this. (It's a bit of an awkward purchase though, economically. It's the only one on the list that isn't the same price as any of the others.)

And, just like in the last poll, no love for "The Mutants." That one sure seems like the bottom of the barrell for the Pertwee years. (Although, I've heard from some people who think "Colony in Space" is worse.)

I had a bad experience several years ago with Amazon & a phishing scam, so I've been reluctant to go back. Plus, I like supporting the local brick & mortar stores. (Plus, if it's not a limited time sale, I can't really justify the expense to myself.:p)

I see what you did there.:evil: I actually already own all of those stories. (I purchased "The Gunfighters" during their last sale.)

Of those 3, I'm not even sure the list is actually that dire.

I'm actually quite fond of "The Gunfighters." I like Hartnell's historical comedies and I think Hartnell is more on top of his game here than usual. (If you actually wanted to spoil my Hartnell viewing, you'd be better off suggesting a 6-part slog like "The Sensorites" or "The Web Planet" or even one of the more uninspired 4-parters like "The Ark" or "An Unearthly Child.")

"Timelash" gets kind of a bad rap. And while I agree it's not a high water mark for the series, it's still decent. Its only crime is that it's aggressively low-budget & middle-of-the-road. It just kind of sits there like "Image of the Fendahl" or "The Creature from the Pit."

But I will concede that "Warriors of the Deep" is shite. In fact, I can only think of 2 classic stories that are unequivocally worse-- "Destiny of the Daleks" & "Mawdryn Undead."