(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, a fleeting appearance from Miles just to remind us that he's still here! Still, we weren't really expecting him back at all this season, now it looks as though he'll be available after Christmas. Great boost!

I don't think we'll stay up there ultimately, but I can foresee us finishing higher than we did last season, and that, in itself, is an achievement considering that Young Nigel is still pretty much in a rebuilding phase.

Billy - 3 days a week apparently. Flies back up to Glasgow after the match, and then doesn't come back down until the following Thursday.

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah I've seen the article in the Guardian now...that's just terrible if its true, the guy really does believe in one rule for him, one rule for everyone else!

Remember though, nothing is ever Billy's fault. I'm almost envious of just how much self delusion the man has...almost!

I think we'll end up hovering just under the play offs. 7th or 8th maybe.

3. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

So we reach the pointless November friendly internationals *yawn* Anyone think Bothroyd will make it onto the pitch? I don't think there's much denying he's merited a call-up given his form this season, but it's a big surprise to see Capello dipping into the Championship? Do you think he's ever watched Bothroyd play in person?

I just hope this doesn't inflate his ego too much - the guy's a bit of an arrogant tit as it is sometimes, he doesn't need the encouragement!

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Capello will waste friendlies like he always does.

5. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Wait, what? Chelsea lost 0:3 at home? Against Sunderland? :lol:

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Wow, obviously Ray Wilkins had more of a positive impact than anyone thought!!

Actually you do have to wonder if the decision not to renew his contract had a negative impact on the team...interesting.

7. HappyDayRiot

Maybe, but you'd have to guess that playing four full-backs and a dire midfield probably didn't help much either!

Onuoha's goal was quality though. Elmander's was amazing as well, on Saturday.

8. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

With replacements for injuries this would of been my England squad...

Hart, Foster, Carson

Richards, Johnson, Ferdinand (c), Cahill, Jones, Jagielka, Baines, Warnock

Albrighton, Young Milner, Wilshire, Henderson, Carrick, Cattermole, A.Johnson, Jarvis

Crouch, Walcott, Carroll

----------------------Foster----------------------

Jagielka---- Ferdinand--- Cahill--- Baines---

----------------Milner----Carrick---------

------Jarvis ------Wilshire------A.Johnson---

-------------------Walcott----------------

I would play Jagielka there to see how he does because we need a 3rd option for RB after Johnson & Richards. Also perfect time to see Walcott play upfront since hes looked pretty sharp since his return from injury for Arsenal. I would of used Richards, Henderson, Jones, Carroll and Albrighton as subs during the match.

However with Capello squad + his usual tactics I predict we will lose 2-0.

9. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Foster - 5

Jagielka - 5
    Ferdinand - 5
    Lescott - 5
    Gibbs - 5

Walcott - 4
    Henderson - 4
    Barry - 4
    Gerrard - 5
    Milner - 5

Carroll - 6.5

SUBS
    Richards - 6.5
    Young - 6
    Crouch - N/A
    Warnock - N/A

A.Johnson - 7 (Did more in 20 mins than THEO has done in 12 months for England. Walcott is not a winger Wenger & Fabio)

Bothroyd - ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME FABIO !!!, he looked like a dog chasing his own tail

England 2nd worst perfomance of 2010 after Algeria.

10. HappyDayRiot

I watched the first half. That was more than enough.

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Now I've slept on it, I will add a little more to my numbers...

Foster - His kicking was awful, especially at the end when he managed to hit the ball 60 yards upfield into the stands from a goal kick. Failed to martial his defence properly and was at fault for the first goal by not being on his near post properly and his slow reaction with his leg was a lame duck attempt to save the ball. Joe Hart as a keeper looks quicker & sharper, Foster never even looked ready to save the ball for the 1st goal, you look at Hart's body language when anyone gets 30 yards to his goal shows he's ready to dive for anything in a blink of an eye.

Jagielka - Clearly still feeling the virus he had earlier this week and looked more comfortable in the centre, which is a worry for England because we need a 3rd option for right back...Maybe Milner would be the better option ?

Lescott - Slow, clumsy and was in the wrong for both goals. Him and Rio got suckered in the same space for the 1st goal and the 2nd goal saw him stand there watching a cross go right in front of him, stick a leg out next time Lescott. A stronger character like Terry would of screamed Gibbs into position instead of letting his full back partner wander off.

Ferdinand - Didn't look 100% mobile and being the senior player & captain, did a poor job of sorting his defence out. The back line was far too deep at times just begging the French players to run at them.

Gibbs - Should not of been in the squad, has just come back from injury and has barely played for Arsenal this season. Looked slow and ball watched far too often and was the main villian of the second goal allowing Nasri I think it was to get in behind him for the cross. Needs to tell Wenger to let him go out on loan in January and cannot play for England again until he gets some match time and learns to stay in position.

Milner - Not really anymore a winger despite what Man City may think though he needed to play there to help Gibbs out but couldn't do much due to Gibbs's poor positioning at times. Looked more comfortable when he played in the middle towards the end. Needs to play on the flank though in the next two games to keep check on Messi & Bale but long term future is in the middle.

Walcott - How many poor games does he need to have before Capello will change his plans. As a winger he only works when coming on as a sub but his true position is still a striker. His ability to put the ball away when in the 18 yard box looks so natural but hes simply a crap winger to start with so easy to mark out of the game. If you must play him as a winger then try the left so he can cut inside.

Henderson - Too soon for the young lad though needed Barry & Gerrard to support him for his debut and he got nothing from either. Fabio did what he always does and asks his players to change their style and he played a attacking midfield who can run things for Sunderland in such a deep role, he was never going to play well.

Barry - Slow, slow slow is the best way to sum Barry up whose gone from solid to shaky in 12 months. He needs replacing and won't make it to Euro 2012 so the likes of Rodwell and Milner should take his place.

Gerrard - Missed 3 wonderful chances and look all out of sorts. Sloppy passing and always looked in two minds in what to do. A 4-5-1 needs a quicker, slicker player likes Wilshire to link up the attack. Gerrard should begin to adopt a Quarterback role like Scholes did in his 30's and allow the likes of Wilshire in the future to run the midfield. Capello you must change his role before 2012 just look how good Wilshire has been for Arsenal this season.

Carroll - Did what he could and was one of the few you couldn't fault. No support from his midfield and it was too much long ball and not enough crosses. If Fabio wants to stick 4-4-2 then he could form a decent partnership with the likes of Rooney, Bent, Agbonlahor or Defoe. England must stop the long ball so often when a tall man is upfront.

SUBS...

Richards - Look solid in at right back when he came on and the French stopped getting so much success down the right when he came on. Stronge, quick and much sharper than Glen Johnson can be...ENGLANDS number 1 right back Fabio.

A. Johnson - Troubled the french at times though I would like to him swap flanks during games to confuse fullbacks more never let them get to know his game. Should start every game for England and leave Man City.

A.Young - Set up the goal and probably a better sub then starter like Walcott though I want to know after Young;s awful game against Montenegro why wasn't the inform Matt Jarvis called up?

Warnock - Not long enough to judge him but him ro Baines must be cover until Gibbs matures.

Crouch - Typical Crouch, scores a goal then gives away several stupid fouls because he cannot stop putting his hands all over defenders. Despite his goal record makes England play in such a linear way and his overall form is patchy. Bent, Defoe, Agbonlahor and Carroll are better options because we need a quicker England attack.

Simple fact until England play with some pace and the ability to run and move quicker with the ball we will never beat the top nations. We got a long time until our next Q/F I would Harry Redknapp to take over now, we need to play with freedom and Fabio forces our defence/Midfield so deep we can never get going.

12. HappyDayRiot

England International Jay Bothroyd contrived to miss not one but two sitters on his return to the CCS. City as a whole were poor (or so I'm told - missed this game, first of the season, to go to a gig in Birmingham).

Yet still I hold Billy Davies responsible. Hell, I hold him responsible for the fact my train home - which came from Nottingham - was late and made me miss my connection bus home. Curse you Billy.

City need to start playing properly again though. Let's hope the next game is a straightforward one. Oh. It's unbeaten, bogey team QPR at Loftus Road. Bugger!

Oh well. We're always useless in November anyway. Here's to the Preston game on 4th December.

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I was reading this on Mirror website about FIFA Pro awards and it made me wonder about if you had to pick a current world XI who would it be...

Hart

Lahm
    Pique
    Vidic
    Cole

Messi
    Essien
    Ozil
    Bale

Van de Vart
    Higuain

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I find Billy can be blamed for most things...:mallory:

15. HappyDayRiot

^ Billy's only gone and got Aaron Ramsey in on loan til 3rd January!

I'm not convinced Messi would make a current World XI. But your choices make more sense than some of Fifa's nominees for the player of the season, or whatever they released a shortlist for recently.

Also looks like Spain/Portugal are getting the South American votes for the World Cup. Anyone else feel it's no great loss if England don't get to host it?

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

So, are Chelsea the classic example of too much interferance from the board or what? Sack your assistant manager, then don't dispel the rumours that you're going to replace your manager?

I hope Chelsea crash and burn if they do...if they're not careful they're going to turn into what Newcastle was a few years ago; ie a place managers went to get a great severance package :devil:

17. HappyDayRiot

I'm sure they'll be fine so long as they maintain their record of getting a Championship team at home in the FA Cup every year.

Wretched draw - away to Stoke! Just dreadful, and we'll never win there. I wanted Dover at home :)

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well we're away to either Swindon or Crawly! I smell a banana skin...

19. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Anyone seen Barcelona vs Madrid yesterday? Just wow, I can't remember having ever seen a team play a more perfect game; the speed, the dribbling, the passing, the positioning, just mind-boggling. I think there is literally no other collection of 11 men that could make Real look as bad as Barcelona did there. Just an overwhelming demonstration of power and skill that should make fans of all other teams that potentially face Barcelona in the rest of the season tremble in fear. Amazing display.

20. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Swindon will most likely win that game, so a good chance to have a look at Charlie Austin, which could be timely given that the transfer window will be open at that point.....

Can't see us having a problem against either of those teams to be fair. In recent years absolutely, but not this team.

Barcelona vs Real Madrid - :lol: No Jose, of course you weren't humiliated, just played off the pitch......