Rascals...what the....

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Dale Sams, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nice job Will. You're in charge for two seconds and you lose the ship to 8 Ferengi. You got off all of one shot and took forever to institute intruder protocols.

Then there's the idiotic Daimon's plan. Yeah, thhey're going to just let you sell the Enterprise to the Romulans.

The best part of the episode was the silliest. Picard at al regressing in time. I have to admit, that would be an ingenious way of writing off a character.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know what's worse... that Riker managed to lose the ship to those bumbling Ferengi, or that they managed to lose it to a handful of children. Riker should've taken the ship while his stock was high in Best of Both Worlds because he just nosedived after that.

Really the only scene I kinda liked in this episode was the awkwardness between Keiko and O'brien.

3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I loved the part where Picard pretended to be Riker's son.

Losing the ship to a handful of Ferengi? That's just continuing a fine tradition started in TOS...children, space hippies, you name it....

4. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

"Let me get this straight. You lost the Federation Flagship to a few dozen Ferengi in outdated Birds-of-Prey...and had to be rescued by a group of little kids?"

It's amazing he wasn't discharged then and there.

5. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I always enjoyed this episode... of course, I first saw it when I was a kid.

I like how Odo takes Worf to task about this incident later on DS9.

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, Odo had that one ready to go knowing Worf was gonna criticize him sooner or later. :p

7. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I remember seeing this one at the time. I was at an Uncle's house (he was full of praise for TNG having finally decided it was "miles ahead of the original") and we really enjoyed it, despite the oddball premise. We particularly thought the child actors really nailed their respective characters. In particular my Uncle thought that David Tristan Birkin's assay of Patrick Stewart was spot on. :techman:

8. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

Daft episode with some nice moments, some of them quite poignant, I feel in the middle of all the silliness. I'm thinking about Guinan and Ro jumping on the beds and O'Brien's reaction to his child bride. No one ever seems to mention Alexander in this episode. I think he does a great job.

9. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They toyed with the idea of leaving Ro as a kid because they knew Michelle would be unavailable to return. That would have been a cool way to keep her around for a few more episodes that season.

10. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

The idea was clever.
    [​IMG]

11. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't care what anybody says or how utterly daft it is, I'll always really like this episode. Some really nice moments between the kids and adult crew. And my brother and I still say "now now now NOW!" to each other. :lol:

Oooh, that would have been a fun idea.

12. cheesepuff316

cheesepuff316 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I loved that episode! Ok, there were a few issues:
    1) Random Ion Storm turning some crew into kids.....
    2) Galaxy Class Ship being taken over by Ferengi???
    3)General weirdness of it
    But I liked it. It was a fun episode :)

13. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

One of my favorites from season 6. Especially when Picard (in junior form) throws a tantrum demanding to see his "father" Riker.

And that conversation between Ro and Guinan about being a kid again.

14. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

"Thanks, Number One....He's my Number One Dad."

15. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen the episode for a while so don't remember that clearly, so correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Ferengi steal the ship just by getting a gun on one person?

Right, they let their classified technology be captured to save one person's life. Just, come on. If you want to make the kids recapture the ship at least force the plot to take the Enterprise to be believable and clever and not make the crew look pathetic. That was just bad writing.

Like that Enterprise episode where they took the ship by saying "Yeah, every single member of our cult is a walking bomb". Something like that would have been perfectly believable. This is worse than all of Star Trek's "There are two guys guarding the brig and they're both incompetent" gems.

16. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always forget about that gem of a boon in Riker's service record. Lol

- Lost ship to Ferengi pirates

Didn't they transport the crew to the planet's surface, to be used as slave labor as well? Hallmark day in the career of one Cmdr. William T. Riker

17. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, the stuff about being 12 again was great. I like to think the only reason Picard went back was because he saw what happened when Will was in command.

18. The Librarian

The Librarian Commodore Commodore

The fun part is that this takes place right before "Chains of Command." Suddenly Necheyev's decision to put Jellico in charge for the duration makes a lot more sense. You can just see her reading the after-action report on this debacle, seeing the plans for the Cardassian mission, and saying, "Nope, nope, nope."

If I were Picard, I would have put my foot down and said, "If you can't take me seriously because I look younger, then you need to find a career path that doesn't involve strange-looking aliens and weekly encounters with weird spatial phenomena."

19. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is having to take orders from a captain morphed into a 12 year old any weirder than having to deal with a fellow officer's symbiont being in a new host? I think not

20. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ And what always bugged me even more was that Data even reacted like he had a hard time accepting that it was Picard. To Data, it should be just another interesting scientific phenomenon they encountered, and once he was told it was Picard, it shouldn't have been difficult for him to accept that.