Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4 billion in cash and stock.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by JoeZhang, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

No one considers this more important than the news of the devastation caused by Sandy, people are able to do more than one thing at a time, and you're one of those nerds too, so maybe you could stop looking down on people over non-existent concerns.

You know I like you, man, but c'mon. This really shouldn't be an issue, or at least, it seems an odd thing for you to say while you're posting in frivolous scifi related threads on the TrekBBS of all places while the news of Sandy is still coming in.

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder if they will (eventually) pull the comics license from Dark Horse?

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

So, is Disney getting everything? THX? ILM? Lucas Arts?

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I never would have seen this coming - not even the purchase, never mind the further SW movies (though I suppose once Disney would buy out Lucasfilm, more SW movies were inevitable).

It's funny how George has yet again changed his script. For years, he's said that he has no interest in passing the SW torch to anyone else - 'It's my thing' was how he put it. But now of course, it's all 'I've always known that SW would outlive me.'

Still, if we get a decent Episodes 7-9, I don't mind.

5. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

This is unexpected big news for sure. The end of an era.

I think the result of this is going to be good for the most part. My most wanted project is more Indiana Jones, with or without Ford. I really want Indy to eventually become a Bond like franchise character. I think Nathan Fillion would make a solid Indy.

6. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

Star Wars 7, 8 and 9 YESSSS!!!!

7. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Looks that way.

Source

8. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I just heard. Holy crap. I know Disney has been buying out companies left and right (like Marvel, for example), but I never thought Lucasfilm would ever be one. Wow.

When I think about it, though, I can understand, seeing as Lucas isn't getting any younger.

Still not sure if I've got have a bad feeling about this or not.

[​IMG]

ETA: Decided to check out some SW forums, and noticed that the TheForce.net forums are slow to load; obviously the site is getting slammed right now. :lol:

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Hmmm, wonder what this means for the fan community. Disney is much less lenient than Lucas when it comes to fan produced works.

10. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

While doing publicity for Red Tails, Uncle George said he was retiring. I guess we didn't know how serious he was.

I hope 7,8,9 don't suck, and I hope as many of the original cast possible come back. I'd probably watch that even if it does suck.

11. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

There goes Tortanic. Not long now before EA shuts it down.

12. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Haven't been there in years. That place must be a madhouse right now.

13. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Money, dear boy.

14. Jimi_James

Jimi_James Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I wonder how this will effect the long rumored and in development live action SW series. Perhaps they're taking that some of that material, whatever it is, and putting towards getting a new movie out by 2015, though really I think three years is plenty to time to make a Star Wars movie...even one from scratch. At any rate, I would imagine this has been in the works for some time and as such, some preliminary work on the movie could be done already. I of course don't mean they're shooting right now, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that a script has already been written or at the very least a screenwriter has been hired. Bottom line, I doubt they're getting started fresh today.

Aside from that, I wonder what will become of LucasArts and if they'll now be open or used for making games from a more wide spectrum of IP's owned by Disney.

15. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As for future Star Wars projects, I don't care about them but the PT sets the bar pretty low. All I'm interested in is what this means for giving the 1977 and 1980 movies a proper home video treatment, and really Disney's attitude on that can't be worse than GL's. Seems a positive development to me.

Justin

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I have no words for this, other than like, perhaps, maybe...

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc[/yt]

Unless it also means that we get the Original Trilogy on blu ray.
    And the Holiday Special.

17. Chris3123

George and Lucasfilm co-chair Kathleen Kennedy discuss the future of Star Wars:

[yt]www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyqlTi7lkhY[/yt]

18. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Can I just say "fuck Nathan Fillion" - nothing personal against him but it is getting to the stage that if they made a film version of Little Orphan Annie, he'd be suggested for Annie by some fan-boy.

19. Chris3123

[​IMG]

20. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow, talk about a shock. Well to me it is. Excited to see what happens, bet casting will begin soon since they want Episode 7 out by '15.