Star Trek Poster for a graphic design class

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by JediSpock, Oct 18, 2011.

1. JediSpock

JediSpock Cadet Newbie

Hi everyone. I'm a big Trek fan from way back (I was always very partial to DS9), and I made this poster for one of my graphic design classes, and I thought I'd see what other fans thought. Since J.J.'s Star Trek has been compared so many times to the original Star Wars film, it inspired the following image. =)

[​IMG]

(Sorry it's so small. Photobucket seems to have reduced its size for their site!)

2. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

everythings too small, spread out and has a sort of 'randomly plonked down' vibe.

3. JediSpock

JediSpock Cadet Newbie

Ah, I see what you're saying. I'm ridiculously new at this, and I'm only in my first semester at school so far. And, I only had a limited amount of images to work with; I would've loved to have had higher-res photos to manipulate. Thanks for the feedback!

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Too busy and an obvious 'cut and paste' job. Need to run it through some filters or something.

But everyone has to start somewhere, nice first effort. :techman:

5. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Needs more Sulu.

6. JediSpock

JediSpock Cadet Newbie

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate the critiques! I haven't much learned about filters yet, but we'll get there soon enough.

7. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

In art I say the "less is more" approach works best most of the time. But you're off to a good start.

8. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

you need to post a side by side of your image and the Star Wars poster you are duplicating, for the benefit of everyone who doesn't remember exactly what it looks like.

9. JediSpock

JediSpock Cadet Newbie

Ah, a side-by-side. Good call.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Nerd unRage

Nerd unRage Commander Red Shirt

Much better then anything I could ever hope to dream up but it is a bit busy. Some of the sizing ratios seem a bit off. I would only feature Kirk, Spock, and McCoy with Nero. Make the Enterprise a bit bigger as well since it is a re-imaging of the series. Also, if possible, I'd try to clean up the edging of the pictures used. It's really easy to see the lines so it comes off a bit clunky. Get rid of the rays-looking thing in the background.

11. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would perhaps clean up the stars in the background. To me it further adds to the cluttered, disorganized vibe. The stars in the Star Wars poster are more sparse, and don't overwhelm the images.

12. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A decent first attempt. First job is to find a proper starfield background. Stars aren't a vibrant shade of blue.

The floating heads look silly and need to be feathered/faded in far more than they currently are. Those eight identical starships also look strange, remove half of them and add some variety with the remaining ones.

13. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

The "Big 3" needs to be Kirk, Spock and McCoy, not Kirk, Spock and Uhura.

Try finding a more flattering picture of Pike, he looks too frail in that head shot for some reason.

Replace Scotty's love-creature with Sulu (who is noticeably absent)

Add a picture of Vulcan being destroyed.

That should do it for now. :)

14. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I think that looks great.
    :bolian:

15. CaptainJack

CaptainJack Lieutenant Commander

The only thing you need to do is somehow fade each object a little into the backround. Maybe just make them less harsh on the outline of each object. Especially the bottom half of some of the more minor characters... Soften thats the word I was looking for.
    Other than that Excellent job. Better than anything I could do and I've used Photoshop for 2-3 years.:techman:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011