The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Oct 14, 2011.

1. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yea, agreed. I give it 7 out of 10. Considering the nail bitting episodes in the first season this was a sleeper IMO.

edited to add: Has anyone followed the comic book series? Are they following it closely? If so, I'd be more willing to give season two a get out of jail free card.

Excessive amount of commercials.

2. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

A damn solid start to the season. Watching everyone attempting to hide from the herd was pretty intense. How badass was it when Daryl came up behind and took out the zombie that was headed for T-Dog?

More and more, I'm glad that Shane is still alive (and to be clear, I didn't have an issue with his survival in season one past the point where he died in the comics). He's a definite wild card in this group now, torn between conflicting sets of emotions: his long friendship with Rick and sense of responsibility to the group, versus his feelings for Lori and jealousies towards Rick.

Andrea also seems headed down a somewhat different path than her character took in the comics, especially with her wanting to join Shane in splitting away from the group, her intention at suicide in the season one finale, and her subsequent (understandable) anger here at Dale. She's certainly already a much "harder" person than she was at this same point in time in the comics.

Still a little unclear as to what role T-Dog adds to the group dynamic, though I suppose that thirteen episodes this season, instead of the six last season, might present his character with a bit more to do.

Even though I was expecting the events at the end of the premiere to occur at some point this season, I still wasn't quite prepared for watching it happen in this episode.

For the most part, yes, they are following the comics closely. They've taken some interesting diversions, however, such as: Shane is still alive; Daryl and T-Dog are new characters; they met a Latino "gang" in Atlanta; they went to the CDC; we're needed for a new location earlier than occurred in the comics; and so on. I don't recall Sophia getting lost like this in the comics, or the general idea of getting stuck on the highway as occurred in the premiere.

3. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

- Saw the webisodes last night. Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know that the zombie crawling in the park was a woman.

- The episode did seem to drag a bit, (the same way Breaking bad did when it came back) but I enjoyed it. They did a good job of jumping back into the zombie threat.

- Was the budget really cut? It looked like they were trying to make full use of the car pile-up. Not complaining though. It was well done.

- Looks like they aren't afraid of getting some zombie blood on them. The rules still aren't clear at this point. Or maybe thery are and I forgot something. I don't remember all the details from last season's finale when they were at the CDC.

- I had more zombie dreams last night. Happened once or twice last season too.

- I didn't notice an excessive number of commercials.

4. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Hiding under cars seemed kind of flimsy. I was worried that the zombies would smell them or notice something.

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

They wasted most of the episode searching for the girl. Meh.

There is a good article on IO9 regarding why this episode turned out as it did. It was originally 2 episodes but apparently the first was so bad they salvaged the zombie horde part of it and then padded out the girl search to make a single 90 minute episode.

6. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

I thought that was a very lacklustre premier, given what we'd seen last season. Definitely didn't knock my socks off.

One of the problems is having kids present. Kids generally tend to ruin movies and tv shows for a variety of reasons, mostly because they can't act so it's tough for them to convey certain situations and they tend to be used as the cutesy thing for us to fawn over, which of course is entirely uneccessary.

Hopefully Carl snuffs it. I couldn't care less about finding little whatsherface either. If we're lucky the flesh has already been ripped from her bones.

Last night's episode just didn't stress me out like some of last season's better episodes did. The zombie pack walkthrough was pretty decent I suppose, but also lacked in a way I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe it's because no real progress was made in the episode, it seems they actually regressed going to look for whatsherface.

Shane's a bitch. That much is clear. Dude, it's the zombie apocalypse, get over your silly little feelings for Rick's wife and stop feeling sorry for yourself. The focus should be on survival, not your soap opera bullshit. "Waaaaah I'm going to slip out of here when no one's looking waaaaah." Jesus.

Redneck the hillbilly is actually turning out to be a pretty decent character, even though he drives the loudest kind of bike one can drive. And I am kind of sick of every tv show having someone who knows how to track people in the forest.

They should have given blondie the gun, who cares if she offs herself? Her choice, plus one less mouth to feed.

Other than that, this episode was pretty forgettable. Seemed more like a midseason filler episode rather than a season premier.

Hopefully they get their shit together.

7. DarthTom

Agreed. The exchange between Andrea and Dale I thought was very well acted where she blamed him for not allowing her to committ suicide.

I know that the story is about the characters more so than the Zombies but this episode was long in character devleopment and short on suspense which is what made season one so good IMO.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  8. sojourner

I wouldn't hold out too much hope for Carl "snuffing it".

9. Garak

And therein lies the problem with having kids in a prominent role. You know they're never going to get axed.

10. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Usually, I would agree with you, but in the comics, Carl has a very important role to play, so I'm letting it slide here to see if it comes to fruition.

I agree also with the points made earlier about Shane just being a big bitch... If redneck boy can get over his racial predispositions, Shane can accept the fact that he's gonna be second fiddle...

11. DeadmeatDiggory

DeadmeatDiggory Commander Red Shirt

Well, thats one way of getting rid of kids that just wont stop aging on a show set of a couple of weeks. One missing and one on his deathbed.

12. sojourner

^Not nearly a deathbed. Carl is more central than most of the other characters on the show.

13. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This.

Shane= Dude get over it, what did you tag her a few months tops and you were tagging your friend's wife at that.

Carl = Glad I'm not the only one that feels this way, now we are going to get a half a season of fabricated drama by finding a doc/meds for the kid and so on.

whatsherface = too bad Billy Ray Zombie didn't snack on her after all, more fabricated drama that wasted too much show.
    I'll bet the guy that shot Carl has her.

Redneck the hillbilly = Agreed. Absolutely love this actor from the Boondock Saints movies, it would be neat to get a cameo of Sean Patrick Flanery.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

OMG! TWD did AMAZING in the ratings! There is no way AMC won't order a season 3 right now! :techman:

15. Garak

What show was the incumbent record holder?

16. DarthTom

Unless the actors and production staff get greedy.

17. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Crap. I forgot all about Walking Dead. Ironically, I was reading World War Z at the time. :rommie:

Good thing AMC puts all their stuff up on On Demand....

18. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

They have no say on how much money they make. AMC has all the power.

The only one being greedy is AMC. They slashed the budget for seasson two even though the show was getting ridiculously high ratings in season one and even fired the original showrunner.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

This was an OK episode. I do have to agree about Shane though. He was being pretty annoying over the whole thing with Rick's wife (I'm brainfarting on her name). I like the idea of him Andrea getting together though, and I kinda got the impression that was what they might be going for in some of their scenes together.