"Thrusters on full" ~Spock

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RoJoHen, May 17, 2009.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Was this a weird line for anyone else? At the very end of the movie, when Kirk is promoted to Captain, we see Old Spock up in the rafters and he mutters this line.

I mean, I get what he's saying, but really? Thrusters on full? You don't have anything better? Maybe something about warp?

2. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved the line, myself. Spock knew that even in this reality, his old friend was still the same man at heart. I thought it rather endearing.

J.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I liked the intention of the line, just not the line itself. Thrusters just don't do anything for me. :lol:

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I took it as him recting a series of phrases that the crew said before getting underay on a new mission.

5. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

You dont warp near space dock. DUH! ;)

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

And you sure as hell don't use your impulse engines, but Kirk did that all the time anyway!

7. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was strange. I figured that in the very next scene we'd hear Kirk give that as an order showing Spock being back at this point in time stirred memories of their maiden voyage together.

It reminded me of the way the writers would invent an idiosyncrasy out of the blue for Janeway ie "Dark Frontier" and her twiddling her communcator.

8. Newspaper Taxi

Newspaper Taxi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The line was an odd choice...But I'm sure it's the future equivelent of "Full speed ahead!".

Two little problems, though. He said it too quietly -- I didn't catch it on my first viewing -- and they cut away from the scene to quickly to really digest what had just transpired.

9. Joker

Joker Vice Admiral Admiral

It was symbolically passing the torch.

10. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I liked the intention, I thought the line could've been better. What was Kirk's trademark like Engage?

11. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He shoulda said "Pedal to the metal, Captain!"

Now that would have been meta!

12. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I didn't like the line either and said so in my initial review in the Grading and Discussion thread. It's just an incredibly odd and unimaginative thing to say for Spock. It didn't feel right. Honestly, I would have preferred if he said nothing at all. I mean, is this all the writers could come up with?

13. Joker

"It didn't feel right".

"It's incredibly odd and unimaginative".

"Is this all the writers could come up with?".

Jesus Christ. It's one fucking line. It had one function: To show the passing of the torch from Spock's era to the new era. It functioned fine.

14. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Which doesn't mean that I have to like it. ;)

15. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

Hmmmm, I think you're taking this far too seriously. :vulcan:

:lol:

16. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Darlin, the big ones got my badge. Would you get it for me?

Didn't Spock already pass the torch when he had that scene with NuSpock? That was the passing of the torch, not this line. And what I'm about to say I mean simply because we'll never know, but chances are good that this could be Leonard Nimoy's very last appearance as Spock in any medium. So when his character of Spock gives us his last line spoken on film (not counting the ending narration), why not make it a little more memorable? I'm not saying what they went with was a disaster, but even I know the real line should go "One quarter impulse power".
    :cool:

17. perigee

perigee Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Possibility;

Initially, there was supposed to be that Shatner voice over during that entire scene - the line may have been something other than it was: "Goodbye old friend..." Well, once Shat was out, they had to dub something there, and, since the film was already cut, echoing the next line on the bridge may have seemed like someone's good idea. It wasn't, of course - but it would explain some things.

18. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree. I saw it for the third time last night and once again I was like, meh.. couldn't they come up with something better for Spock's LAST LINE in the film? Maybe Nimoy's last line ever playing Spock?

It has bugged me each time.

19. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

I wanted him to say "Pure Energy", not tell me what's on his mind. :p

20. Joker

Negative.

This line was old Spock's final bowing out, his final scene at the end of the film, followed directly by a dissolve to the rest of the casts' first unified presence on the bridge, moving into their new missions together.

One was finished, another one began.